I thought the box said 2 players!!!

By JackhammerJohn, in Red November

This is the second time this past month that I got a game from Fantasy Flight that required more than two players. I couldn't read the box print as it was so small so I asked the youngish clerk at the store who look at the box and read 2 to 8 players. Seriously, larger print size, please!!! Another game into the closet until a larger group gets comes over.

You didn't read it wrong. The box does say 2 players, but no worries. The game is perfectly playable with 2 players (it can even be played solo). Each player controls two of those drunken gnomes, good fun I say.

EchoingZen said:

You didn't read it wrong. The box does say 2 players, but no worries. The game is perfectly playable with 2 players (it can even be played solo). Each player controls two of those drunken gnomes, good fun I say.

You are my new best friend!

Many thanks!

Always glad to make new friends. :P

How well does it play with 8?

Its absolutely manic :)

You REALLY have to be careful because one slip up, like a gnome fainting and suddenly the game starts to outrun you viciously. You tend to have more options and also backup for fix-its because the additional gnomes scattered around often means someone is there to do stuff, but the ship shuts down quicker and one person overrunning can cause imense problems

I have played with all numbers between 4 and 8 and the game varies as the numbers do - the problems and issues slide and scale with player numbers

myrm said:

Its absolutely manic :)

I sure hope so :)

after reading a while about the game, I've ordered it and now it's anxious waiting.

here's to manic games!

*beer*

The back of my box says 2-8 players, but the rulebook (and Bruno) says 3-8 players (which I presume means 3-8 gnomes). Not that I'm arguing with the guy who designed the game, but before I knew that I played 3 2-player (one gnome each) games and it seemed to work fine. Unless I'm completely missing the reason why the game requires at least 3 gnomes, the game seems perfectly playable with 2. I've been over the book about ten times and can't find anything that specifically says a minimum of 3 gnomes is necessary.

Of course, I drink a lot of grog myself, so maybe I just missed it.

Any thoughts/corrections?

I love you Angry Piper! I played with the Angry Piper and we seemed to do fine 2 players, but 3+ might be more fun and frantic . . time to hang out at a Gnomish Seamen Convention!

EchoingZen said:

Each player controls two of those drunken gnomes, good fun I say.

Actually, this is now my preferred way to play. It lets you play with full lethality, without worrying (as much) about player elimination.

It's pretty crazy with 7. Things breaking down all over the place! Biggest drawback is if you spend a lot of time on an action or fall down drunk, it's along time 'til your next turn.

My box says 3 to 8 players, which 'caused me to leave it on the shelf longer than desired waiting for a third player. Then I saw it rated on Board Game Geek for 2 to 8 players. I haven't tried it with 2 yet, but don't see any reason it can't be played with just 2. It runs a lot like Pandemic, which is great with 2 people.

So far I've played it with 4 (seemed too easy) and 7 (totally frantic).

I made the same mistake. I thought it was actually 2-4 players! But it works fine with 2 if you both control a seperate gnome, I look foward to playing with 8 players.

This is definitely a confusing issue, not helped at all by some poor oversight from FFG.

On the official page for the game, the text clearly says "2-8 players." Look to the right and the little icon says "3-8."

Same page; two different pieces of information. serio.gif

We tried it with 2 players too; works fine. Of course we didn't reach the end of the deck, so had no chance of meeting the Kraken. But the more players, the better it gets!

2 players, each controlling 2 of the gnomes - that's perfect!

Another aspect: With 8 players gathered round the tiny board, it gives you the claustrophobic feeling the Gnomes have to suffer gran_risa.gif . Turn down the lights, let some water from the faucet in the nearby kitchen. Offer some grog to the players...

Always interested in good 2 player games that i can convince the wife to play. :D

Just bought the game today and tried. I'm new to the ffg forums. It was a blast and only played with 2 players one gnome a piece. It never got all that difficult in playing just the two of us so later I played around iwith about 4 gnomes myself and seems much better that way.