an over-powered starting with the union? what to do?

By rodilladehierro, in Tannhauser

I have a lil problem… in the castle map, the union can start throwing a fire grenade in the first turn and burning the reich's entrance, ******* hardly their assholes as they have to do 2 or 3 movements to get outa there… any ideas??

Ideas for the reich to counter that start of course, thank you so much

Two Frankenstahls…

Using Hoss to switch place with a Union character

But in fact, this is a really bad situation, so maybe houseruling there somthing, so that this is not that overpowered.

If the fire grenade was already thrown, try to move your characters as little as possible. Maybe don't move them at all as the effect of the fire grenade only triggers as your characters move.

You could also try to prepare for this strategy by building a special Reich team. Use a character with a token that grants a bonus to your initiative roll to make sure you will go fist. Then, either include a character that can move many circles and block your opponents path so the opposing characters can't get into a position to actually throw the grenade (Only the last circle may be out of path!) or include a Frankenstahl and place it on overwatch to gun down any grenade-equipped enemy that comes near.

Hmmm thank you so much, i like the answers, but i dont like homerules or op heroes (franks are overpowered arent they?)… i like the option of hoss but by the moment i just have the basic game .. maybe using stamina packs with first aid kit? Or just command points and items for command point? I think eva's 2 cp can make the fire useless with your 2 o 3 basic cp, the only thing i miss is another item.for cp in other heroe or troops, but i can save heiz, karl and eva easily, i just can lose my troops, and sometimes they are still full hp .. maybe its not the best way of throwing the fire grenade after all…

Option A: Use the extra entrances as marked in the daedalus expansion, the daedalus rules are available in the tannhauser site,

That is the easiest workaround, its not a home rule (its an official optional rule).

Option B:

Choose Karl and Hermann with Command pack (+7 to init), Hermann with helm of diomedes Bonus token, you need to win the init roll , pick the stairs entrance.

Activate Hermann first, spend 2 CPs on him (1 MP), +1 to movement characteristic value, these are 2 different uses, hence Legal.

Move hermann to the living room (blue circle), 8 movement points needed 6 +1 +1

Let the union characters fail to enter the map, maybe 1 out of 5 makes it in in the first turn, hermann still has the helm if that happens.

Look at your opponent, smile and tell him in a quiet educated tone:

"See? we can both break the game, care to have a fun game instead? Lets use the alternate entrances optional rule" (option A)

It would be a nice idea, but of course, you cant use 2 CP for moving twice xD

As I said, yes you can.

These are 2 different uses of the CP, the first is to get a movement point, the second is to increase by one the movement characteristic, you can increase any characteristic of the character, incidentally increasing that characteristic has the added benefit of allowing you to move another space.

Both options are legal.

If the Revised Rules are correct in this point, you actually CAN'T increase your movement value twice, as the paragraph about "temporarily increasing a characteristic value" states you may spend a CP to increase the "Combat, Mental or Stamina characteristics by one". The Movement value isn't mentioned, so you can't increase your Movement value using this rule. I have to admit that I don't know if this rule was later changed officially or FAQed.

You are right, I did not realize that movement was not mentioned as a charasteristic eligible to be raised by spending a command point… a shame, there goes my elegant way of countering union fire grenade exploit…

You shouldn't give up your great idea that easily. Just equip Heizinger with the Obscura Korps Band instead of the Helm and suddenly you can give him +2 Movement points (+1 from a CP, +1 from the Band). You'll even have a CP left to increase his Mental Value or shake off a wound in case he is attacked. The risk of Heizinger being attacked is higher of course as he's lacking the Helm, so be sure to have a character (or more) equipped with a First Aid Kit. Eva Krämer or a Shocktruppen could work fine.

I completely forgot about that bonus token, never used it. I love your solution this approach also leaves 1 CP to reroll the initiative in case bad luck happens. CMZ you have your answer!!