Fighting inside the palace

By dualflames, in Horus Heresy

The other day we played the game for the firts time and we found something strange. Traitor got inside the palace, and Imperial army tried to push them out avergonzado_triste But when they tried to attack them inside the palace they were attacking form a fortified area to a fortified area. This point is not covered in the rulebook asustado Does the Traitor army get any benifit (damage reduction) of being attacked? Imperial army lost several units.

The rulebook only says about coexistance fights in a fortified area, but nothing about this.

Sorry to write so many topics with the same name, but it is not my fault. When I tried to publish I got an error (the forum page is too slow) and I thoug it was not published. So I tried several times until it was accepted. After this I saw all of them were published atontado . please, if possible, remove all of them except this one. Thanks.

I don't know, for me the first sentence under "Effects of Fortification" seems to cover the issue:

"Defending units in fortified areas have an advantage in battle." (p. 33)

If the Traitors are the ones being attacked, they are the defending units, so they get the reduction benefits.

Also, for future reference against multiple (or MULTIPLE reir ) threads, if you get an error, go to the forum where you meant to post the thread and see if it did get posted despite the error. Many times the thread does actually go up even when you get an error.

Yes we used this rule, but it has no sense. I mean, if you attack a breached section of a fortified area you get only a benefit of one point reduction of the damage. Inside there are no strong walls. So, I think it should be treated at least as a breached area with only one point reduction, not two. two point reduction. inside the palace both sides get stuck, as nobody wants to fight with those benefits.

I also think that there should be more refresh phases for the traitor, as they fight against the clock. It is frustrating for him.

If there is a Breach, it does of course reduce the defense to one point instead of two, if the attack is coming across the breach token. Plus if you have Magnus the Red with his Thousand Sons, that pre-battle bombardment (esp if combined with Mortarion) can wipe out the defenders right off the bat.

Also, there is little reason to fight in the Palace, Inner Palace in particular. Yes, killing the Emperor wins you the game, but IMO it's too much work to dig him out of the Inner Palace. In this version of the game, you don't even need the IP to win (in the 1993 HH game you needed all 4 spaceports PLUS Inner Palace to win through control), spaceports are what you need to win. Only go after the Emperor if an opportunity presents itself.

We will try next time. So, the idea, for the Traitor, is to go for the space ports, and if the Emperor shows up may be they have a chance to finish him. Mmmm … I think we have to play more times and try this tactics. Thanks for the help.