A few questions.

By adamacer, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

I recently picked up a copy of this game and have enjoyed a few test sessions where my game group learns the game. Only one full 3 player game so far. The initial reactions are positive and all seem to think its a highly interesting game wich we will enjoy for quite awhile. But I do have a few questions I have been unable to find answers to so far. It may be I have just missed it but I'd apreciate some help if anyone knows the rulings. We only have the basic version of the game (TI3) so all questions are in that context.

1. Transfer production: Is it possible to build a Space dock in one of the two systems, if one space dock is already present in one of the 2 activated systems? (Obviously not building more than 1 space dock/planet), is it allowed to build more than one space dock in systems containing multiple planets?

2. On a regular production action, is it allowed for a player to build both a space dock and units in a system containing multiple planets? i.e build a space dock on an empty planet and units in the pre existing space dock?

2b. Is it possible to build more than 1 space dock in a system if it contains multiple planets?

3. Retreats- I am not clear as what is meant by ""an adjacent system that has previously been activated by the withdrawing/retreating player." A system activated anytime previously in the game or previously in the current round? If the answer is anytime previously in the game, can a fleet that has retreated to an system not activated this round be moved by a future activation this round?

If the answer is only to systems activated this round that severely limits the retreat options for any fleet. I am guessing the only retreat destination is to a region activated the current round, to prevent retreating/withdrawing units to be re activated. (unless you have warfare card or similar).

Thanks in advance,

Adam

adamacer said:

1. Transfer production: Is it possible to build a Space dock in one of the two systems, if one space dock is already present in one of the 2 activated systems? (Obviously not building more than 1 space dock/planet), is it allowed to build more than one space dock in systems containing multiple planets?

Yes, but note that you can only build, period, in one system. If you want to build a second Space Dock, AND build at the existing space dock, the new dock would have to be put in the same system as the first.

Along with that - you can have as many Space Docks in one system as you want - very handy for building a lot of units with a single build (as you have two separate planets to build at, each with their own production capacity)

adamacer said:

2. On a regular production action, is it allowed for a player to build both a space dock and units in a system containing multiple planets? i.e build a space dock on an empty planet and units in the pre existing space dock?

Yes, this is legal.

adamacer said:

2b. Is it possible to build more than 1 space dock in a system if it contains multiple planets?

Yes.

adamacer said:

3. Retreats- I am not clear as what is meant by ""an adjacent system that has previously been activated by the withdrawing/retreating player." A system activated anytime previously in the game or previously in the current round? If the answer is anytime previously in the game, can a fleet that has retreated to an system not activated this round be moved by a future activation this round?

A system previously activated that round. More specifically, the "previously been activated" system must have a Command Counter on it from the prior activation. Meaning if you remove it (via Warfare or the Unexpected Action card), it's no longer available for retreat. However, if a CC gets put there for any other reason (such as a prior Signal Jamming), you CAN retreat there.

Basically, when the rules refer to something that has been "previously activated", what that means is that it had one of your Command Counters in the system prior to the activation.

adamacer said:

If the answer is only to systems activated this round that severely limits the retreat options for any fleet. I am guessing the only retreat destination is to a region activated the current round, to prevent retreating/withdrawing units to be re activated. (unless you have warfare card or similar).

This is correct. The purpose is to prevent you from retreating into systems to allow you to re-activate those ships later (Warfare aside, of course). However, and I know you said you only have the base game, one variant to consider is the "Tactical Retreats" variant found in the expansion. The rules are available here on the site, and you don't need any special components to use it. Basically, it allows you to retreat into a system that doesn't have any enemy units, even if it's not activated; however, you have to put a CC into the system after the retreat, thus preventing the "re-activation" bit. (Note, however, that this rule only applies to RETREATS, not WITHDRAWALS (which the attacker does), meaning you can't use it as a means to "jump" through an enemy system to get to an empty system on the other side).

I hope these answers help!

Also, I apologize for the quoting mishap above - these forums are absolutely horrid in trying to do quotes correctly, and the "edit" functionality is atrociously limited also, so I can't even go back and close the QUOTE tag that I apparently missed.

Thanks for the reply, and no worries about the quote mishap. I have another question, altho I think I may know the answer to this one already.

Using the secondary ability of card 8(Imperial, rapid Mobilization) could you build a space dock in a region which did not have one prior to the card beeing used? The card states that you can build units in any system you have Space docks in, but says nothing about just building a space dock in a "new" region.

I am guessing that you can only build units at pre-existing space docks (except those built this round ofc) but it would be nice to get a confirmation or clarification if I am wrong.

You are absolutely correct. This is in the FAQ, p. 6:

Q: Can I use the Imperial Strategy’s secondary ability to build
a Space Dock in a system that already contains a Space Dock?

A: No, you may only use the secondary ability of the Imperial
Strategy Card to build units AT Space Docks in one of your
systems (following normal Space Dock building restrictions).