Thunderous Blow Comet, is this in addition to the critical?

By Emirikol, in WFRP Rules Questions

Question about thunderous blow (reckless)

Comet = Deal extra damage equal to your weapon’s damage rating

Normally a comet means an automatica critical. Is a critical done in addition to this effect?

Is there some reason you think it would be? Lots of combat action cards have Comet lines, and I've never thought that you could use a Comet to trigger both the Critical and the Comet line on the action card. Is there a reason you think Thunderous Blow would be an exception?

Hi,

I'd say no. Thunderous Blow likely to be used with a two handed weapon, I reckon an extra 7 damage is enough on its own. A good hit with this card pretty much kills your average combat mook, though suppose you could draw a crit for narrative description of the hit?

The reason I ask is that I cannot find in the rules where if a critical (CR) of a weapon is done in separate or in addition to the effect of a card.

For example, if a card has a "free maneuver" for 2 eagles, and the CR of your weapon is 2, are you /giving up/ your critical and instead takign the card?

Backstab for instance: 2 eagles = +2 damage. So, a person with a CR2 weapon CANNOT get a critical with a backstab without getting FOUR eagles?

Here are some more examples?

Coordinated strike: 2 eagles, the ally may perform a free maneuver.

High king gotrek's justice: 2 eagles equals target soak reduced by 3.

I use thunderous blow as an example because it's already so broken ;)

n contrast, Troll-feller strike of course is an example where it wouldn't make sense to have an extra critical(as it's more broken than thunderous blow :)

jh

I've allways thought that spending boons or comets on cards, criticals or the standard boon effect is up to the player to decide how to allocate them. A player using. So in your example where they had a free maneuver for 2 boons. If the player rolls two boons with that card and has a CR2 weapon the player could choose either a free manouver, or a critical, or to recover a fatigue. (You "spend" your boons on the effects, so they cannot be used for multiple effects).

Same logic is applied to the comet result for thunderous blow. You can either do a critical, or use the comet line on the card (or you could change the comet into a hammer/eagle).

I do not have any page references, but this is how I have interpreted the text.

k7e9 said:

I've allways thought that spending boons or comets on cards, criticals or the standard boon effect is up to the player to decide how to allocate them. A player using. So in your example where they had a free maneuver for 2 boons. If the player rolls two boons with that card and has a CR2 weapon the player could choose either a free manouver, or a critical, or to recover a fatigue. (You "spend" your boons on the effects, so they cannot be used for multiple effects).

Same logic is applied to the comet result for thunderous blow. You can either do a critical, or use the comet line on the card (or you could change the comet into a hammer/eagle).

I do not have any page references, but this is how I have interpreted the text.

Aye, this is how we've always played to. Active player can choose how to spend their Boons & Comets. Basically we just treat every combat action card as if there were two more lines, one that said Comet = +1 Critical and another that said # of Boons to equal CR = +1 Critical.

I see what everyone is saying, and for the most part I agree with that, you spend your boons to trigger certain effects.

What I would like to know is this, some talent cards will say something like (2 boons, plus 2 damage), does that also eat up those boons, or is it just an additional damage added to your attack. I think that is the tactic card 'the bigger they are'.

I have been playing where I spend the boons to trigger that effect.

You spend it for the desired effect. There are some universal effects as well, but a roll can only be used for one.

Example:

A player rolls 2 boons.

The action lists 2 boons as giving +2 damage.

There is also a universal effect of 2 boons allowing the removal of 1 fatigue or stress.

The player must decide to use the 2-boon line on the card (+2 damage) OR the universal removal of the fatigue/stress. He cannot use both with the same 2 boons. In order to use both, the player would need to have rolled 4 boons (2 for each effect).

Similarly, rolling a comet, the player must decide which effect to use. Assuming 1 comet was rolled, the player could choose to use Either the comet effect on the card, OR the universal comet effect (triggering weapon critical). Not both. If the player rolled TWO comets, then he could spend one on each and trigger both effects.

5 rolled boons could trigger a universal 2-boon effect, a card 2-boon effect, and a card 1-boon effect (total of 5 boons used) for example. As long as no effect is bought twice.

The only 'exception' to this is for successes, where only the highest achieved success line can be "bought" with a roll (i.e. rolling 5 successes cannot trigger both a 3-success line and a 2-success line).

Any card, such as talents, which gives a line (like 2x boons gives +2 damage) is merely another option for the rolling player to select as a use for their rolled dice. It is NEVER "in addition".

Yup, what Dvang says.

This means that what a card line that duplicates something general like "comet = extra critical" means, in that example, if you have two comets and hit (and qualify to deal critical damage otherwise in terms of not doing minimum) you can use one to get the critical on card and one to get the generic melee/ranged weapon critical (which can also be useful if you weren't getting through soak as 2 crits then makes the minimum damage 2).