Fun deck ideas and AP suggestions for returning player.

By Zealotscout, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

My, it has been a while hasn't it? Some might rememebr me from 2011 where I inquired a few questions about the game and finally got into it, but only till now have I actually got the people to play it. Ironically these people is only 1 person in fact, but well what are you going to do?

Thing is, I've got a budget that I can now spend freely (sort of) on a couple of asylum packs.

My objective now is to make some fun decks for both of us, since I'll be the one actually buying the cards I was planning on buying these aslyum packs.

• Initiations of the favored
  • Whispers in the dark
  • Shifting sand, this pack is a must since it has a lot of nice story cards to keep story phases fresh and not monotonous
  • Ancient Horrors, has some really sweet big guys to the factions we mostly play.
  • The cacophony
  • The spoken Covenant

So yes basically we wish to make two fun decks , what I mean is not especifcally great decks but atleast have somewhat of a theme or engine to work on; for example a deck based on insanity/destruction , or discard rush darkyoung based deck or who knows, but at the same time keeping it simple I guess.

Now my question to you guys, do you suggest any other 6 aslyum packs that can make up a fun deck for hastur/cthulhu or hastur/syndicate, and on the other side for Yogsothoth/Shubniggurath; this combination would be for my friend. So mention atleast 6 aslyum packs that make up a nice pool to have a few other alternatives if necessary.

I'm also thinkin of getting another core set due to the cards being too good to pass up, thanks in advance guys.

Hope I'm not asking for too much, cheers.

~Zealotscout

Darnit It would appear as duplication threads were accidently made,but oh well to add in some information.

I personally want to run an insanity destruction deck but that doesn't use the agency, so my alternative would be syndicate and cthulhu pairings.

As to my friend he'd like to make up a darkyoung or recursion based deck using yog/shub.

Any 6 Aslyum packs following these lines would be great to hear, hope this sorts out any information I left out.

I finally had a moment to look up some card recommendations for you.

I assume you have one core. I don't know what else you have. Honestly, the core is such a good deal that getting another wouldn't be a bad idea. This will give you multiple copies of key cards for all factions like Deep One Assault, Ravager from the Deep, and Sacrificial Offerings for Cthulhu; Power Drain, Performance Artist, and Scotophobia for Hastur; Hungry Dark Young, Shocking Transformation, and Y'Golonac for Shub; Hard Case, Triggerman, Dutch Courage, and the stolid Dr. Marius for Syndicate; and Cannibal Ghast, A Single Glimpse, and Unspeakable Resurrection for Yog.

If you already have a second core, then I'd recommend Secrets of Arkham. For Cthulhu it gives you Carl Stanford and Deep One Rising; for Shub it helps Dark Young out with Rampaging Dark Young and The Mother's Hand; for Syndicate you get Anarchist, Intimidate, and Fixer; a couple of decent cards for Yog and Hastur.

If you specifically want chapter packs, here are a few recommendations (note that you will rarely find a pack that's great for all the factions you want to play):

Antediluvian Dreams

Kingsport Dreams

The Cacophony

The Unspeakable Pages

Twilght Horror (when it gets reprinted soon)

Hope this helps!

You're definitely right, I do have just 1 core set, and I will no doubt buy another one or two in the future.

My current cards are the following, and I apologies for not placing them earlier.

I have currently own

• 1 core set
  • 1 Secrets of Arkham
  • 1 Screams from within
  • and finally the wailer below.

Here are the APs I just recently bought, but are still arriving in the mail.

• The cacophony
  • Whispers in the Darkness
  • Spawn of the sleeper
  • Shifting sands
  • Spoken Covenant
  • Ancient Horrors

So yea I'll definitely be checking out those APs to see whats up with them, thanks for the recomendation.

I just checked up Twilight horrors and by the beard of Great cthulhu !

It has some nice night/Terror related cards that could infinitely help me out, too bad I can't find it nor on amazon nor ebay.

How did this deck have such nice night/day cards ? was it printed before Secrets of Arkham?

God, I hate these boards. I typed up a longer reply about the history of the packs. But the short answer is that Dreamlands reintroduced the Day/Night mechanic, but it existed in the CCG days.

Zealotscout said:

I just checked up Twilight horrors and by the beard of Great cthulhu !

It has some nice night/Terror related cards that could infinitely help me out, too bad I can't find it nor on amazon nor ebay.

How did this deck have such nice night/day cards ? was it printed before Secrets of Arkham?

it does indeed. which is a gripe of mine. im lucky enough to have 1 copy which doesnt give me 3 x copies of all the cards, but does have 3 x Twilight Gate which is very very nice. BUT. ffg seem to think its ok to run so called World competitions hosting the best of the best, and yet don't allow anyone but the old schoolers access to some of the coolest cards, where a simple re-print would finally make it an equal playing ground. favouritism ?? the Worlds winning / Australian National winning decks had 2 cards at least from memory that were included in 'Twilight Horror', knowing full well that any newbies simply don't have access to the same cards that counter them. i have a huge collection, and can't even field these decks on the table as i don't (and can't) own all the cards to do so. and this is supposed to be fair how ?? you've been given false idols people !! - hahaha.

Great cards from Twilight Horror (which you can't have so ner ner) include:

Beings of Ib

Twilight Gate

Twilight Cannibal

The Rays of Dawn / The Setting Sun (HUGE cards)

Puj-Dunk

Gregory Gry (muckraker)

i only ever really play on lackey now, as i find tournament play very boring and predictable, so i've actually boy-cotted buying any more Cthulhu products until they reprint the Dreamlands cycle (even though i own all but 2 x Twilight Horror its on principle). i still don't even have a copy of Seekers of Knowledge !!

POSTSCRIPT: FYI, 'Twilight Horror' only contains 1 copy of Twilight Cannibal (featured in the tournament winning decks) hence the need for 3 copies of this AP as it now stands.

COCLCG said:

POSTSCRIPT: FYI, 'Twilight Horror' only contains 1 copy of Twilight Cannibal (featured in the tournament winning decks) hence the need for 3 copies of this AP as it now stands.

While this has been a legitimate complaint, the Twilight Horror packs have also been unavailable for the recent past, and are now getting reprinted within the next couple of months in the new distribution of x3.

In short, Twilight Cannibals and Beings of Ib all around!!!

Ah great, can't wait to see this pack printed out again, since it will definitely help my insanity destruction deck out a lot.

I'll post my decks I have soon enough once I stabilize it, by deciding which cards to pull out and such. I'm currently trying to stick to a 50 card minimum.

I just got my aforementioned APs today, and my friend was fixing up his deck and I was working mine out I'm pretty sure I made something decent out of it.

Honestly I got pretty lucky by having Hastur King in Yellow out using his action and defending stories with Elise Warren, driving 2 skill characters insane with my dangerous inmate then killing them off with my thing from the stars; twas very fun.

Overall it was a game much more in my favor but glad it turned out ok with just a couple of changes to my deck.

My friends deck will definitely need more tweeking to even out some odds haha.

I'll keep you guys posted and might upload a match in the future if possible.

This is Deck Construction; where is the deck list? :)

Ah of course, well out of the following packs

• Shifting sands
  • Whispers in the darkness
  • Ancient horrors
  • Spawn of the sleeper
  • spoken covenant
  • Written and bound
  • x1 Core set
  • x1 Arkham horror
  • screams from within
  • and finally a wailer below

I made this hastur/syndicate deck.

could run alot smoother had I more copies of the core set.but here it is in the near future I might switch out syndicate for cthulhu but don't know.

2- Nassor
2- Bootleg operation
2- Forced Foreclosure
2-Guardian Beast
2- Feint
3-Dangerous Inmate
2-bound and Gagged
2-Sirens of hell
2-Aspiring Artist
2-Erich Zann
2-thing from Nightmare
3-Elise Warren
3-Terrifying Visage
3-Bringer of Fire
2-The yellow sign
3-Hastur Lord of carcosa
2-Night stalkers
1-Like a Moth
1-Dutch Courage
1-Alhazared Lamp
1-Cathouse
1-Eldricth Nexus
1-Clover Club torch singer
1-Clover Club Bouncer
1-Scotophobia
1-Thing from stars
1-Victoria Glasser
1-Victorias Loft.

Open for any suggestions, my main focus is insanity/desctruction and disabling.