about to buy warfare

By Neffer, in Dust Warfare

Hi all I`ve been looking at getting the warfare book for a while now and ive saved up enough cash through ebay selling to purchase it with a nice amount of ssu models. But I`ve just noticed that the campaign books for zverograd and hades say that they add new rules etc. My question is how much of a factor to playing are these books. I dont want my order of warfare and ssu troops to turn up and then find i cant use half of them.

Thanks

Oh, boy. Um, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, man, but the SSU isn't in the original book. They start in Hades. And to be blunt, each and every rule-book is sort of so helpful they become necessary, particularly since newer units are listed in them. A friend of mine has the new Horton fighter; we won't be able to play with it, since neither of us has the Icarus book.

Soooooo, you're gonna need the other books. At least they're not that expensive. Sorry, man.

But they really are worth it!

(P.S. If you're looking for a heavy SSU unit, the IS-48 is the Beast from the East.)

I thought that was going to be the case. Your right there not that exspensive. Luckily the company i order from give credit on orders over x amount and with my current order i`ll get £16 credit on my next order so that covers the cost of one book.

Yes the is-48 is on the list :-D :

Drakoni commissar squad

frakyeli close combat

ohotniki rifles

red guards command squad

red thunder anti tank squad

ground attack helicopter

is-48

Sold all my old warhammer from my grans attic thats been there for years.

By the way whats the is-5 like in comparison to the 48?

Specialty support unit. The AAA version, or the ZSU-85 as I like to call it, is a deadly anti-air/anti-infantry unit. The artillery unit fires once every other turn, at best, so it's not going to shoot a lot…but it pretty much smashes whatever vehicle gets hit. I prefer the IS3 (it looks like an IS3, and pretty much is an IS3, so that's what I call it. I've seen too many of them 'up close' in World of Tanks, and I have the model…the 122mm gun version is an IS3 with some very slight mods), since it wrecks infantry and armor, and also rolls 8 armor dice (Armor 7 plus Damage Resistant).

I'm waiting for FFS to get the chibi KV walker and transport heli out; the quad 12cm mortar version is the Sovs' instant artillery; even better than the Has! (But without the Hans' impressive tank-hunting abilities.)

Thanks! Yes i had noticed the damage resilience on the ssu tank and thought oooooo and thats from my knowledge of tactics. Im only aware of some of the rules for warfare rules like suppresion and the command phase etc, have no ideaabout tank saves =s hehe. Yeah i was planning on the is-48. The is-5 looks nice but i thought the is-48 looks like a good sold piece to field.

In case you want to save a buck you could also get the books as PDF by buying them legally from a couple of online-sellers. Personally I'd get the paper versions, or maybe even both if I played Warfare. Almost contemplated in getting the PDF:s just for the fluff :P

I hadn't considered that, since I don't have a laptop, but if you do and you're willing to haul it around the PDF books and the errata file together make for a powerful (and less expensive) combo.

An Ipad works wonders for purposes of carrying all the PDF books, FAQs and other docs. Easier to carry and travel with than a laptop too!

To be honest, between the downloadable unit cards that have been posted, as well as the online force builder, you could probably get away with just the Zverograd book and not the Hades book. All you'd really be missing is the soldier upgrade rules, and the campaign rules - the upgrade rules can probably be found online just by looking for Hades reviews, and the campaign rules you won't want anyways unless you have a large group of people.

The Zverograd book is going to be necessary though, for the aircraft rules.

But seriously, they are both sweet books - highly recommend buying both. But if you can only afford one, get Zverograd - there are ways around having the Hades book.

Thanks for the responces people.

In the end there was 1 guy selling his copy of warfare core book on ebay which I won for £12.49 and then I placed my order for my ssu troops and picked up a Heavy walker for both axis and allies which entitled me to £25 credit with the company which I used to purchase zverograd and hades for 0.46p ^^.

Il get round to icarus some time in the future im sure.

Thanks