[300] Elite Jumpers

By caps2, in Dust Warfare General Discussion

Dust Warfare - Force Builder
Faction: Allies ( 300 / 300 )

--- Elite Platoon (152)
Upgrade: Air Drop (5)
Command Section: Rhino (22, Hero)
1st Section: "The Hammers" Heavy Ranger Assault Squad (28)
2nd Section: "Tank Busters" Heavy Ranger Tank Hunter Squad (35)
3rd Section: "Grim Reapers" Heavy Ranger Attack Squad (30)
Support: "Crack Shots" Sniper Team (12)
Support: LAW M1-A "Wildfire" (20)

--- Elite Platoon (148)
Command Section: Ozz 117 (23, Hero)
Support: LAW M1-A "Wildfire" (20)

Rhino&Hammers and Ozz117&Hammers against Tanks and S3 infantry, Tank Busters x 2 do the same if Hammers die too fast. Grim Reapers x 2 take care of aircraft and S2 infantry, Wildfire do the same if Grim Reapers without heroes die too fast. Sniper team x 2 put suppression, if they die too fast , Wildfire put suppression from 24". What do you think guys ?

Effective, but it will be tricky to run.

You have no radios. That means no orders outside of 12" from Ozz or Rhino. If both hero's are deployed with the Hammers, they will leave behind your sniper teams. It is likely the rest of the army will feel this pinch also, this will restrict their ability to receive orders in the Command phase.

Good point about the radios. And an additonal concern is reaction fire from your opponents. I have found, to my sorrow, that unless you have someone to suppress enemy troops, close combat units are near useless - even Kamphaffen and Untertoten take it on the chin getting into range; they don't suppress, they just get the snot shot out of them. This Armor 3 army doesn't have enough units to effectively support one another in a 300-point game, and they are gonna catch it hot in the Command Phase from a larger force that will suppress key units with fire before the normal turn even starts. The heroes can alleviate some of that, but not always. Glass hammer, man.

Warboss Krag said:

Good point about the radios. And an additonal concern is reaction fire from your opponents. I have found, to my sorrow, that unless you have someone to suppress enemy troops, close combat units are near useless - even Kamphaffen and Untertoten take it on the chin getting into range; they don't suppress, they just get the snot shot out of them. This Armor 3 army doesn't have enough units to effectively support one another in a 300-point game, and they are gonna catch it hot in the Command Phase from a larger force that will suppress key units with fire before the normal turn even starts. The heroes can alleviate some of that, but not always. Glass hammer, man.

Keep in mind that Jump does not provoke a reaction on movement. The Jump ability c ombined with Close Combat, which only allow a Close Combat Reaction, makes Suppression become a minor issue.

The Allied Jump troops are more capable of moving in and out of combat than the Axis Apes and zombies.

Allied Jump armies are viable and can be very tough to deal with. Their speed and terrain ignoring ability makes them very dangerous.

Yeah, and I've had defense-in-depth set-ups with cheaper troops just wreck them…and I was the one with the jump troops. That's where you dangle a cheap unit out front to lure in the close-combat troops, then the troops behind frag the expensive and limited-number jump troops with subsequent fire. And considering that a German force can get about 1 1/2 squads for every jump squad facing them, not to mention the cost of the jump heroes (they ain't cheap), and said jump force is going to find itself facing a lot of firepower, and they're simply going to get outnumbered.

It comes down to it that the one-trick-pony army doesn't work so well in Dust Warfare. Sure, you can pull that crap all day in 40K - Sparkle Vampires, I mean Blood Angels, do it - but here a good combined-arms force works really well, better than the one-tricks.

Thanks for advices, i want to give it a try. About radiomen you are right and i know suppression can be a big issue, but high mobility , jump ability and heroes can mitigate the problem.. IMO allies tanks like Cobra or Rattler are too weak against new axis and SSU tanks like Matrioska or Wotan, so i prefer a spam jumpers list…

So I gave a jump force a try yesterday. Admittedly, my dice rolling was horrible (at one point rolled 12 dice for no hits), but a zombie/gorilla force ran over me. The fact that those guys don't suppress is chilling…

Warboss Krag said:

Yeah, and I've had defense-in-depth set-ups with cheaper troops just wreck them…and I was the one with the jump troops. That's where you dangle a cheap unit out front to lure in the close-combat troops, then the troops behind frag the expensive and limited-number jump troops with subsequent fire. And considering that a German force can get about 1 1/2 squads for every jump squad facing them, not to mention the cost of the jump heroes (they ain't cheap), and said jump force is going to find itself facing a lot of firepower, and they're simply going to get outnumbered.

It comes down to it that the one-trick-pony army doesn't work so well in Dust Warfare. Sure, you can pull that crap all day in 40K - Sparkle Vampires, I mean Blood Angels, do it - but here a good combined-arms force works really well, better than the one-tricks.

All Jump Allies are far, far from a "gimmick" list. They are **** solid choices. The list expects to be outnumbered, but it can outmaneuver just about anything. Far from a one-trick pony, which by the way, can work wonders in DW - see the Fireball Drop and Duck Hunt lists, both of which have served me well for months.

Dust Warfare - Force Builder
Faction: Allies ( 299 / 300 )

--- Elite Platoon (155)
Command Section: Ozz 117 (23, Hero)
1st Section: "Grim Reapers" Heavy Ranger Attack Squad (30)
2nd Section: "Grim Reapers" Heavy Ranger Attack Squad (30)
4th Section: "The Gunners" Combat Ranger Squad (17)
+ Rat Fighters (1)

--- Elite Platoon (144)
Command Section: Rhino (22, Hero)
4th Section: "Tank Busters" Heavy Ranger Tank Hunter Squad (35)

This is the Elite list I am going to start testing when I get my second Tank Busters squad. The idea here is that Ozz w/ Grim Reapers and Rhino w/ Hammers leads their respective platoon forces in two nasty chunks. You may notice I skipped out on armor - that is because outside of the Fireball, I am not sure it is worth using any of the Allied vehicles. Lights and Mediums die too fast for the investment. Snipers, though, put down that needed Suppression to keep the enemy from reacting to your shooting (since Jump already can't be reacted to).