WFRP 3.5 or 4e - truth or rumour?

By Beren Eoath, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

LordoftheMilk said:

Actually, it isn't even a forum rumor.

It's a Beren Eoth rumor.

The dude is constantly chirping additional slander on 3e and suggesting a new edition looking like star wars.

Go away and play Star Wars Beren and stop disturbing this forum!

We are here to talk about 3e, not some underaged's wet dream.

Now if we could just get some dice and a simple announcement for the next couple boxes, we could put all the babies to bed and continue developing additional fan material.

TYVM

Actually he is not the only one by a long way. This has been going on ever since GENCON last year. I suggest using the word slander is both a bit strong and possibly legally actionable, so mind your language. You may not agree but he has every right to voice an opinion that is also had by others. FFG could put this all to bed very easily, but they choose not to, and I personally don't think they care enough to do so.

Not legally actionable in this form.

Threads such as this one only hurt the game.

We should be promoting it if we love it, or stay away from here if we don't.

I am therefore asking Beren to leave, for I find his threads both offensive and non-constructive.

Right or wrong has nothing to do with it.

I will stay here and I'm going to write all my opinions. FFG should klnow what players think of there games. This rumour is not from me but it shows on fiorums all over the world from GenCon 2012. All of aus can say what they want and I just want to know what's FFG up to. I'm not a 3e hater or any other such thing. I've played WFRP 3e from the oment it come out and liked it but now I'm disapointed by the FFG policy. Other RPG that will have anything in 2Q 2013 got there announcements and WFRP got nothing. If the rumour is true then I would like to know it if not then why we don't get any new products? Those are the questions that need anwsers. That's why I started this treat to let FFG know that players still want this game to expande by new products on this or a new edition.

Every year WFRP is getting fever expansions. In 2011 we got Guides & Vaults and that does not count - those were reprints from other previous expansions and did not give nothing new. Some one sauid that this game could be ending not by a new edition from FFG but with the drop of the licence and I just hpe that this will not happen. I want WFRP to stay and expande and I don't care wich edition will it be - 3e, 3.5 e or 4 e. I just want to have more new products that will bring more information about the universe and that will give me more options to play.

I really believe that if FFG would do a new/revised edition with backward compatibility players would get new products, maybe even some fans of 1e or 2e would come back to this game.

So I'm here to show FFG that we still want to play WFRP and I just want to get some news or annoucements. For me the worst scenario would be the end of WFRP from FFG and the news that they droped the licence. I'm a huge fan of Warhammer Fantasy and as a fan I want to see more great products comming that will make my game bigger and better.

Cheers

LordoftheMilk said:

I am therefore asking Beren to leave, for I find his threads both offensive and non-constructive.

Right or wrong has nothing to do with it.

If you do not like free speech I suggest you go to North Korea. I may not agree with everything he says but I defend his right to say it. If FFG are OK with him to continue, then I suggest you leave well alone and avoid reading any of his entries, if they offend you so much. Not too difficult a task I would say.

There are a number of people on this forum who care very much about WFRP, whatever edition, and over the years have done much for it including third edition. These people also share Beren's at leat some of worries and speculations, at least partlly because they would like to know whether they are writing fan material for an edition that has a future.

If you want to have a go at anybody, I sggest you have a go at FFG over what is happening with the dice. Without those nobody who buys just the books can play the game. And not everybody wants to get a smartphone, just so that they can use the dice app. it might be a more constructive use of your time.

This forum is about the existing game: WFRP 3e.

If you want to express desideratas about another game (like a new edition or some such), go and post them elsewhere.

In any case, I do not believe that your strong statements indicating that 3 e is dead or that a new edition is foreshadowed are anything but unfounded rubbish, and it only creates disorientation to newcomers.

I, for one, would like newcomers to the game to find in this forum to find what they need to enhance their gaming experience. Not throw them away from the game before they even purchase in it.

If you continue on your stance, I shall continue to point out how completely inappropriate to your goals (if supporting FFG's license it is) your behaviour is.

I am very happy that you are allowed to continue to express your discontent on whatever you wish.

I would be even happier if you went off and expressed it elsewhere.

I personally express my own discontent on destructive behaviour, which I believe this thread is, on this forum.

Fine, but I coud make the same suggestion to you. I support 3rd edition, I have written 3rd edition fan material and am presently writing large amount of fan material that is useable by both 2nd and 3rd edition. I and many others feel that the inability to get enough dice for the game among other things is a bigger detriment to the game than anything we say here.

Until FFG gives us some answers we will keep asking the questions

This forum is foreveryone to say how they feel about this game and I feel that it does not get enough support from FFG. There are very few newcomers and there will be less of them if FFG will do nothing about it. They should do something to bring WFRP back to it's glory. I want new products and I don't care if it will be 3e , 3.5 e or 4e - I just want that they expanse the universum of WFRP.

I know that some may not like the idea of a new/revised edition but it the law of the market, a game that is not selling well always ends. Remeber what happened to WFRP 2e? Fans of 2e also did not liked that the 3e is comming but it's not up to those few rude persons to say if a new editions will come ort not. If FFG says we need more money so lets make a new.revsed editon to sell more and get fack fans of prevoius editions then they weill do that. Fo me the casde is that WFRP should get more love from the publisher that's all.

Cheers

If you want more content for the game, why are you advocating a new edition?

A new edition would only cause the republishing of already existing content in one form or another.

Let's just lobby for more content. And a reissue of the dice packs.

Of course I will find it a bit sad once FFG discontinues this system, but I am pleased with what FFG has produced so far.

I believe that it is a good baseline for me and my friends to produce adventures for many years to come.

If I ever need more fluff, I can find 2nd edition books or dust off my 1st edition tome.

I can create my own material thanks to Fan contributions and free software like Strange Eons (or me not being lazy and doing a bit of work in Photoshop).

My only hope is that if they make a new edition, they include a "conversion kit" or something for us 3rd ed players. That would be pretty sweet.

LordoftheMilk said:

If you want more content for the game, why are you advocating a new edition?

A new edition would only cause the republishing of already existing content in one form or another.

Unfortunately it is a rule of thumb with WFRP and many other systems that it is the Rulebook and other books likes the magic ones which sell well. Adventures are always lousy sellers because (hopefully) only the GM buys them. Many setting or fluff books are also the same unfortunately. If a line has not been selling brilliantly and the fact that FFG are off loading the Core rules cheap is not a good sign, then further 'fluff' supplements are a non starter. 3rd Edition is a bold experiment but if it has not been making enough money, and the production costs are high, then FFG have two choices really. The first is to let WFRP die or the second is a new edition. Also the fact that freelancers who have successfully written for 3rd edition have not been asked to write anything for nearly 18 months and playtesters nothing to playtest, suggests that there is very little going on with WFRP. My guess, and it is just that, is that until the Star Wars RPG is finished in 2015 we will see virtually nothing but POD's, if that. I hope I am wrong, but the signs are not good.

They managed to it wrong on both accounts after jL left. Players don't want to have to buy the core set (which is the only way to get dice) and that's $60, hence only the GM buys the core. PLUS, only the GM is going to buy the other sets.

The players guide would be great if you could buy dice.

..oh..and there's this: http://rpggeek.com/article/11550012#11550012

jh

I think this is one of those "guys chill out" moments. If you look at the upcoming page you will see that there is 3 starwars products (one being dice) and 3 other products slated for 2013, by this logic it would mean that FFG is either overhauling all of it's games or are going to stop producing rpgs alltogether. I doubt that is the case considering how much longer they have the WFRPG/40K liscences with GW and how much star wars must have cost them.

I think we will see a lot more big POD's alá "From the Grave" (which btw doesn't include Amethyst magic, I need that dammit :P ). I would be very surprised if we didn't get an elf and/or an empire box this year, with a bretonnia and a kislev coming. As for the dice, they will come back, until then I suggest the app, it's decent.

That said I would love to see a reviced players guide etc that takes "Lure of Power" and "Omens of War" into account so I can run a base game away from home without having to haul all the chits and tokens with me (I love them, but transport is an issue).

I would love to see that WFRP would explore more of the Old World like UnkleArkie said Bretonnia and Kislev would be great. Of course I wouldn't mined something more for elves. And I really miss a good Empire box with all the stuff like Sigmar's Heirs for 2e had - something similar for 3e would ge great to see.

Besides this does anyone know who now is the leading designer for WFRP? First was Jay Little then Daniel Lovat Clark, and now? Who's in charge of the line?

Cheers

IF (big if) Fantasy Flight decide (or have decided) to revamp WFRP for a 3.4/4th edition, my only hope is for at least 80% backwards compatibility. If they do away with or replace/tweak some of the components, I'd be happy with stuff like Party Sheets & Nemesis Sheets going away, but Gods forbid they change anything like the dice or Action Cards!

I'd personally love to see a revised Core Rulebook (ala Edge of the Empire) that includes all material from the various expansions (Winds of Magic through Hero's Call), plus the streamlined examples from the Player's Guide. I'd also love to see a GM's Guide get similar treatment, with perhaps some random tables for generating adventures/plots and the like.

If the component bloat is too much for some people, and perhaps too expensive for FF to continue dishing out with every new release, they could go with making all the cards, chits, and the like into POD. Or make it all into optional "Vaults".

HI,

Reading all this i am worried if should invest the few hundred $$$. Money not the concern but plathrough…

I wanted to know if the below intention is possible…

Like D&D 4e i did a while back turned some of the gaming campaigns into a boardgame….I am new to the world of Warhmmer and wondered if i have the right collection and setup can do the same?

TY

elidaman said:

Reading all this i am worried if should invest the few hundred $$$. Money not the concern but plathrough…

… and this is why these false rumormongering threads are bad for both the line and the community.

elidaman said:

I wanted to know if the below intention is possible…

Like D&D 4e i did a while back turned some of the gaming campaigns into a boardgame….I am new to the world of Warhmmer and wondered if i have the right collection and setup can do the same?

There will always be enough material for you to play through. Kind of like D&D, this game world has TONS of scenarios, background products, an even MMO, and is currently being supported (except for dice), by FFG. There are already 30+ products for this edition alone, so even if production slows down, you've still got years of play availability and the PDFs of the books will never 'go out of print.

Over the past couple years, I've run DOZENS of older scenarios updated to 3e. We just finished up The Dying of the Light. There are hundreds of fan-written scenarios of each of the three editions that can easily be converted (afterall, a beastman is a beastman..afterall ;) .

You can find all of the old fan-written scenarios (most of them are quite professionally done) online with the usual search efforts, and here's a list of all the scenarios ever done (well 96.47% of them) if you decide to go looking: http://gallery.rptools.net/d/81129-1/WFRP+COMPLETE+SCENARIO+LIST+AND+DOWNLOAD+LINKS_001.pdf

Hope you enjoy the game!

jh

FFG puts out some amazing material. I have purchased everything for Warhammer 3E even though I prefer 1st edition. Why? Because I wanted to support FFG and Warhammer in hopes that they would "see the light," keep the license and change it back to the more old school Warhammer without all the bits. My group and I cannot stand the bits and the D&D 4E'esque format.

So, I might be more of a rare breed, one who purchases the entire collection of something I do not like, just to support the company and the line.

It is my hope that something in that message will reach FFG and make some type of positive impact on the direction of Warhammer.

In my opinion, it is my hope that a loud cry of rejecting newer directions of pnp rpgs toward an anti-social, anti-imagination, mechanical, board game / mmorpg model and demand for more "old school" roleplaying (mind's eye theater) flavor of pnp rpg games will be heard.

Warhammer is a unique system with a unique setting. Sure, it has a smaller following than most of the high fantasy rpgs out there. But, the following that it has is very loyal.

I am about to introduce Warhammer 1st edition, The Enemy Within campaign to one of my younger (6 players ages 15-25) gaming groups. They have never experienced Warhammer and while I am influencing them toward an earlier edition, that is where the magic lies, so I feel it would be a grave disservice toward Warhammer and even FFG to run 3rd edition.

I hope you are listening FFG and I hope you do not give up on the license. I believe in your outstanding capability to do anything you do is first rate, top notch, set apart and a bar above. In my opinion, you goofed with Warhammer 3E, just as WotC goofed with D&D 4E, but it is not irreversible for FFG. WotC's mistake correction is yet to be determined since Paizo has claimed the throne with Pathfinder.

At this point, FFG does not have any Warhammer competition out there like WotC has to contend with. Games like Zweihander will be in development for quite some time and will never attain the support the Warhammer franchise has.

So, the question is, will you change course and make a strong attempt to capitalize on a better, more old-school, no fiddly bits Warhammer FRPG or will you drive it into the ground and quit on it?

Thank you for your consideration.

Walltexter said:

FFG puts out some amazing material. I have purchased everything for Warhammer 3E even though I prefer 1st edition. Why? Because I wanted to support FFG and Warhammer in hopes that they would "see the light," keep the license and change it back to the more old school Warhammer without all the bits. My group and I cannot stand the bits and the D&D 4E'esque format.

So, I might be more of a rare breed, one who purchases the entire collection of something I do not like, just to support the company and the line.

It is my hope that something in that message will reach FFG and make some type of positive impact on the direction of Warhammer.

In my opinion, it is my hope that a loud cry of rejecting newer directions of pnp rpgs toward an anti-social, anti-imagination, mechanical, board game / mmorpg model and demand for more "old school" roleplaying (mind's eye theater) flavor of pnp rpg games will be heard.

Warhammer is a unique system with a unique setting. Sure, it has a smaller following than most of the high fantasy rpgs out there. But, the following that it has is very loyal.

I am about to introduce Warhammer 1st edition, The Enemy Within campaign to one of my younger (6 players ages 15-25) gaming groups. They have never experienced Warhammer and while I am influencing them toward an earlier edition, that is where the magic lies, so I feel it would be a grave disservice toward Warhammer and even FFG to run 3rd edition.

I hope you are listening FFG and I hope you do not give up on the license. I believe in your outstanding capability to do anything you do is first rate, top notch, set apart and a bar above. In my opinion, you goofed with Warhammer 3E, just as WotC goofed with D&D 4E, but it is not irreversible for FFG. WotC's mistake correction is yet to be determined since Paizo has claimed the throne with Pathfinder.

At this point, FFG does not have any Warhammer competition out there like WotC has to contend with. Games like Zweihander will be in development for quite some time and will never attain the support the Warhammer franchise has.

So, the question is, will you change course and make a strong attempt to capitalize on a better, more old-school, no fiddly bits Warhammer FRPG or will you drive it into the ground and quit on it?

Thank you for your consideration.

Ummmm, did you just say that you are buying everything they've produced for Warhammer Fantasy 3E in an effort to make them regret making it and go back to making something closer to 1st or 2nd Edition? I'm seriously not trying to be offensive and maybe you are just trolling but, why would you think that helping their new product to sell well would inspire them to change it back to the way it was?

Oh, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, though mine differs. I love all the bits. They've taken me and my friends who have never played RPGs in our lives and hooked us into them with this game. It has now led us to play a wide variety of other RPGs, but we would never have taken that first leap without WFRP3e and it is still our favorite.

@elidaman

With some small changes You can play this game as a semi-boardgame RPG but still You will need a GM.

@walltaxter

I don't get how by buying this edition You want to convince FFG to make a new one. But I agre that it wouls be nice if FFG would give players a option to play WFRP more in a old-school way. But In don't think that WFRP 3e was a mistake, it was a good experiment that brought many people who never played RPG s to give it a try. So I never looked at it as a mistake. FFG could easy give palyers a option to play this game more old school with a small book that would change some rules so players can play without bits and witout breaking the game or making a new edition. Of course there is a chance that by making a new WFRP they could sell more of it.

I just wish that FFG would give us more news what the future of WFRP will bring.

Cheers

Thank you everyone for prompt response. I am loving it and bte i do agree overall that FFG do deliver great games… dont ask how much i spent on dust tactics and the total collection of tanhauser… great games deserve a purchase…

Then again this was going totally off the path as i know this is meant to be played as a paper traditional game. But they provided so much items and tokens and info that (opinion) "i think can be turned to a boardgame somewhat with a bit og game changing tweaks". These tweaks can only be decided once i really understand the game mechanics… So far invested 350 in it and plan for another 200 or so… I hate missing on anything even if that detail is innessential (sucker).

i am still trying to figure on some rules and other things but i think you all gave me a good perspective on a direction. Thanks and do support FFG if they keep making great products.

Drunken Cheers,

FFG GIVE US SOME NEWS AND SOME NEW RELEASES OR ANNOUCEMENTS FOR WFRP!!!!!

Having just purchased my Second Corebox, 2 additonal players hardback, a second players toolkit and additonal copy of both Omens of War and Lure of Power. (I like having an extra card of each, next up Signs and Winds )

I am hoping for some WFR 3 Love from FFG soon.

I have a group of 5 just about to start Enemy Within, however anything produced fortheline would be welcome an updated Kislev supplement if you want an easier supplement but I would love to see something NEW, ARABY,LUSTRIA, ORCS, ELVES (Although I love Yepesnopes stuff).

Pleeease FFG

Alternatively happy if you make a new rules MIDNIGHT SETTING with same mechanics (already got enough dice)

ok, i bought everything for 3rd edition…actually every books and supplements even if i'm not a huge fan of the system. But adventures are top notch (mostly) and i really like tons of ideas of this edition. AND i'm a WH fan (got some books first edition, every book from the 2d edition) with ED it's probably my favorite setting. And as a fan, i start to feel disappointed by the way FFG handle the situation. The silence around this edition start to be really annoying.

FFG let us know what is your intention, or even knowing the absence of intention, rather that this uncertainity.