The Eyrie

By karstark, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

It's sort of weird, I know, since essentially this is a rotated card. BUT, I got my first Eyrie this week, out of a pack. I have been used and abused by this card by the the only player in our meta who had one (he had three) and now I am looking forward to using it.

My request is this: how best to put it to use? I am pretty sure my meta will let me proxy the other two copies, so I can use it as starter. I plan to put my Moon Door into use as well ( I had a Moon Door forever, but I found that to maximize it I really needed either The Eyrie or Littlefinger, and since I had to draw into them I discarded the idea. Now maybe it will fly.) I have already tried just slipping it into my Stark Power-CHallenge-Themed deck, with Vale Wards and Riverland Mobs, but what do people here find is the best way to use the Eyrie? Where does it fit best? Where does it NOT go?

karstark said:

I am pretty sure my meta will let me proxy the other two copies, so I can use it as starter.

You can also use the promo Eyries as dupes.

karstark said:

My request is this: how best to put it to use? I I have already tried just slipping it into my Stark Power-CHallenge-Themed deck, with Vale Wards and Riverland Mobs, but what do people here find is the best way to use the Eyrie? Where does it fit best? Where does it NOT go?

Personally i´m not a fan of the Eyrie. I always have the impression that a well balanced deck without the Eyrie could always do better than an Eyrie deck.

You could best use the Eyrie if you definetely need the +3 gold and +2 influence right from the start e.g. to pull off plots within plots in the first round OR to ambush a card and than play rule by decree as your first play.

I think your deck definetely needs a way to deal with attachments to secure the Eyrie depending on the format you play cards like frozen solid and high tide can be really painful.

I was running it in a Dragon Targ deck with a ton of Ambush cards and Ruled by Decree. With that deck I could pull off Ruled by decree practically every game. It had 3 Flame Breath, 3 Dragon Thiefs, 3 of each 5KE Ambush hatchling and 3 Flame Breaths.

Yeah the Eyrie is a great start in a Targ deck. You don't lose out on gold on the first turn by playing it in Targ because of all the good ambush characters Targ have. It's also darn hard to kill, combos with The Moon Door and gives you nice flexibility with the starting influence.

Personally I think the Rule by Decree thing is a bit broken and should get an erratta. There's no way to defend against it other than playing a card with no influence cost before plots are revealed.

perthius said:

Personally I think the Rule by Decree thing is a bit broken and should get an erratta. There's no way to defend against it other than playing a card with no influence cost before plots are revealed.

Nah. It may be "broken" in the sense that there is no way to defend against it, but it isn't broken in that the three card loss before the first draw isn't a particularly significant hurdle to overcome. It is undoubtedly annoying to get hit with and does slow you down in that first round; but seriously, is it really something you end up struggling to overcome for the rest of the game? I personally find it to be more demoralizing than "broken."

My favorite part about running the Eyrie is it means you can run less locations, and therefore more events. I play the Eyrie with Lannister, both Plots within Plots and Pyromancer's Cache are great with it, Pyro's works even when the Eyrie is frozen solid. Abusive events, that's how I roll.