Movement and door puzzles

By 9-Jack-9, in Mansions of Madness

You know, I've been playing Mansions of Madness for a while now, and I thought I had all the rules down. But reading something recently made me question myself.

Say that an investigator is trying to move into a closet that has a door lock on it. She spends her first movement point of the turn trying to enter, at which point the lock card is turned over and it turns out to be a puzzle (for example, a wiring puzzle).

It's my understanding that she immediately gets a chance to solve the puzzle, and that this "chance" is considered part of the same movement phase of her turn -- thus, if she solves the puzzle on that turn and enters the room, she can still use her action for that turn to search the room and get what's inside (and maybe even use her second movement for the turn to move back out). Is that correct?

To be clear, what I'm asking is: The investigator doesn't have to expend their action for that turn to actually start working on the puzzle, right?

I've often been told that Mansions is more heavily weighted toward the Keeper to win. In my early games, I took it a little easy on players so they'd want to come back, and in my later games I've been more vicious but have still had a surprising amount of last-minute investigator wins. As such, I'm reexamining how I play to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks all!

You are correct.

Great! Never hurts to second-guess yourself.

Many thanks.