Hacan ally abilities

By Gildor1503, in Rex: Final Days of an Empire

Hi everybody,
I'm writing you because during my very first Rex game, I was involved in a very unpleasant discussion about a rule.
First of all, before that game I've neither played Rex nor read the rulebook. I was instructed on the rules by an italian mate whose english was very poor (mine too probably but don't judge me please) :)
Therefore, during the game there were many occasions where players understood a thing, when the specific rule of the case stated a (often completely) different one. Hence, after the game, I took a picture of the Hacan Ally Card and download the pdf rulebook, but still my friend keeps telling that I am wrong.
Now my issue.
I was playing allied with Hacan. For who does not remember the abilities their allies gain, I will report here: ``During your Deployment step, you may choose 1 of the following: (1) Deploy units at half cost. (2) Move units from 1 space to another for 1 influence per unit''.
Now, that time I deployed units paying the full cost (thus, in that specific occasion I didn't use Hacan ally ability (1) as I've been doing all game) and then I wanted to move them by using Hacan ally ability (2). My friend told me that I couldn't do that, since either I deploy units (no matter wether by using (1), or not), or I use (2).
Hope to find some reply
Cheers boyz :)

Sorry, but your friend is right. The wording on the card is confusing, but it means that you do one of those options instead of your deployment step.

The rules do not cover this directly, but they do mention this on page 22 when they are clarifying Hacan's abilities:

"If the ally uses the Hacan Ally Advantage to move units around the game board instead of deploying new units to the board, the Hacan player does not receive this influence."

I think page 22 does not contradict the text on the card, giving instead just a specification on the Hacan abitility itself.

Gildor1503 said:

I think page 22 does not contradict the text on the card, giving instead just a specification on the Hacan abitility itself.

I'm not sure what you are aiming at saying with this, however both your friends and dypaca got it right.

Using the Hacan ability to move units around on the board is instead of deploying and thus an option you barred yourself from using by already having used your deployement to move units from your reserves to the board. The crucial word in the passage dypaca quoted from page 22 of the rulebook is "instead" (of deploying).