New Person asking for advice

By Gallagen, in CoC General Discussion

Hi i am planning to get into this game heavily

I was wondering on how large the replay factor is as well as the fun factor

I downloaded the demo decks and they are great fun, so i thought i should just see what everyone thinks before i decide to buy

Thanks!

well ive been playing for 3 or 4 years, and most of that time pretty regularly. ive been lazy, but i plan on building a deck around the new polar theme. so the replay factor is pretty high, since there is so much to still try and play. also i have never built an agency deck, so if i ever get over my thing with cops, i still have all that to play with.

so if you think the game is fun, it should stay fun cause it has a pretty good replay.

Great fun factor and huge replay factor since the decks are customizable. In theory, you can tweak them to your heart's content, thus allowing for a different game each time you change it. As well, the random nature of the game defining story cards can really change the feel of things from game to game.

With 7 factions to mix-and-match, or using them in their purest form there is ample opportunity to customisation and trying out new things. After the release of Core Set there will be 3 sets total of story cards. The fact that both players can customise their decks, the random factors and the fact that there are 3 sets of story cards (and the same stories don't appear that often) means that it's unlikely you'll play the same game twice (unless you play under the old rules, and manage to tweak your deck for amazing consistancy, but then again surprises are bound to happen sometimes anyways.)

Gallagen said:

Hi i am planning to get into this game heavily

I was wondering on how large the replay factor is as well as the fun factor

I downloaded the demo decks and they are great fun, so i thought i should just see what everyone thinks before i decide to buy

Thanks!

Welcom my friend!!! A hug from the outer darkness :-)

I suggest you to pick up the upcoming Core Set (upcoming can mean something between december 2009 and december 2040, but we can wait :-8 )

Pick up some singles if you can (there are something like a thousand cards from the 2 sets of the Collectible era), as well as the APs (new sets of the LCG era) (you can find them in the online store).

As Marius said, 7 factions are enough to have fun with this game. There are lots of game mechanic to explore. Possibily this is one of the best game ever. Stories are a funny random element of the game and is deep tactical approach (domains mechanic, 3 cards per turn mechanic) give to the game the right depth to have fun in short "one shot one kill" matches as well as in "everlasting/brain devastating" games.

Download the deckbuilder software to read the cards and build up your decks...

http://eric.minet.free.fr/cocbuilder/index_en.htm

Let's ask whatever you need to know.

Cool!

Thanks for the friendly replies!

I have heard heaps about the 7 factions, what is the overall difference between them all (pro,cons)?

The rule book + demo decks don't elaborate too much on this

Gallagen said:

Cool!

Thanks for the friendly replies!

I have heard heaps about the 7 factions, what is the overall difference between them all (pro,cons)?

The rule book + demo decks don't elaborate too much on this

Well, they focus on different strategies:

Cthulhu has the broadest range of effects, but in generally tends to have cards that are more expensive then similar cards in other factions. It's a great all-rounder but lacks investigation, and thus plays mostly defensive.

Mistatonic has characters with high skill en lots of investigation, and the ability to have multiple investigation struggles. Lots of card draw though quite weak in direct character conflict.

Agency has lots of wounding effects, though few reliable ways to deal with invulnerable guys; Then again it has a beef with villainous chararcters, so it shouldn't be a problem. It has few effects to deal with support cards - But then it deals with specific subtypes like locations and items for instance; No to little general effects though.

Syndicate; It's fast, good in "exhausting" characters to temporarilly take them out of commission. It has very few ways to deal with things permanently though.

Shub-Niggurath - Very effective monsters, transformation effects and general brawn. Also great alround support destruction effects. Vulnerable to destruction, though, since you often have to invest a lot in your force.

Hastur is possibly the strongest faction, where it not for a few notable weaknesses. Yes, it can cancel effects, create mass insanity and does a great job at hand destruction. It finds itself in quite a pickle though fighting things with willpower. And it's a bit slow to take control.

Yog-Sothoth is the Gate and the Key; Meaning it can send kill things bypassing hindrances like Toughness or Invulnerability. And it get's your stuff back from the discard pile. It's main struggle icon is Arcane, which - while certainly usefull doesn't bring much muscle to the story cards.

But it's hard to describe the differences in feel from faction to faction; Results may vary depending on your play style.