couple of rule questions for new players

By Neffer, in Dust Tactics

Heyy ppl just played my 3rd game with my dad and had a few questions. We played the 2nd mission from "blue thunder" "patrol"

1. Line of sight. My dad had his steel rain hidden to the side. He moved his observer squad into one of the gaps behind the death dealers who were in front of my sturmpioniere squad. Now on page 10 of the revised core rule book top left corner the example says "cannot target the axis squad - otherwise they would hit their own comrades!" But my dad wasnt attempting to shoot through the unit just get line of site so he can activate the steel rain and call artillery down. So can you have line of site through anouther ground unit? Of coarce walkers would block line of site.

2. Artillery strike. When the observer squad activates the steel rain by active we asumed it could fire for 1 action then reload for a secound action?

3. Artillery strike 2. I think this question could answered by the answer of quest 2 but I`ll throw it in. By activating the steel rain with observer squad can the steel rain also fire its .30 cal at a diffrent unit that is aproching it and is with range etc of the .30 cal

4. Mission 2 patrol. We house rulled this one for the time being and dad was loosing anyway haha. But using his artillery he took out my flamm-luther. I imidatle on my next activation, activated my command squad and was abble to feild repair the flamm luther. Now as the defender my deployment zone is all of the middle row of tiles (9x9). My dad had advanced into the center and now i deployed a fresh flamm-luther right in the center which i read as be activated and deployed. So 1 move action to deploy and then a secound action to attack and wipe out most of his troops with the range 2 flammenwerfer on 2 weapon lines lol. I would have rolled 15 dice against 3 units lol. But as it would have ended the game we house rulled for that mission that units had to be redeployed from and edge deployment zone. Just wondering on other peoples opinion on that one.

5. Lara vs rhino. Is it me or is lara just way op (and is a point cheaper) compared to rhino? I supose rhino needs more skill to use effectivley where as lara is easyer to use. Its strikes me as odd though that all the axis armour 3 characters have dmg resilent but the allies dont?

Thanks people

1. If the Observers don't have line of sight to their target, they can't call an artillery strike on them. If the Death Dealers are between them and the Sturmpioniere, they can't call indicrect fire on them.

2. Nope. When an artillery unit is activated through Indirect Fire it only gets to perform a single Attack action during its activation. Therefore it cannot attack and reload when it's activated by the Observers.

3. Actually yes. A unit activated by Artillery Strike is not limited to firing only its Artillery weapon, it can simultaneously target another enemy with any other weapon line at its disposal. It is still limited to a single Attack action, so no Sustained Fire.

4. It would have been completely within the rules to deploy the repaired Flamm-Luther anywhere inside your deployment zone.

5. Yes, Lara is about one of the most overpowered and undercosted units in the game, while Rhino is of really limited use. Both have their strengths, but Lara is really pretty ludicrous. Best thing is to park a Mickey in front of her and watch her squirm. Damage Resilient is great, but the allied Move 2 with Jump can be pretty powerful as well.

Hope this helped.

Loophole master

Thanks for the reply. Your answers to 1 and 2 were where i was leaning to although i dont think my dad willbe happy lol. But it is only the motar that requires the reload so he still has the option of firing the 4.2s.

3. I really wasn't sure of so thanks for that 2.

4. I knew it was in my rights but felt it was a tad unfair but after looking through the other missions this is going to be a recuring problem especially in some scenarios where deployment zones have no table/ board edge. Supose its just one of those things youhave to keep in mind.

5. Its all very well parking a mikey infront of her but its not if she's placed inwith a unit of heavy laser grenadiers. Its pretty crazzy realy. A unit that can fire on two squads with good chances of casualties to both or wiping out one and a shot at any armour level tank/walker with good chance of destroying it. Plus assault to give a 1 time good manuver and dmg res all round!

Also question 6 lol does the spotter from a sniper unit also take advantage of the spotter ability with his stg 47 i would have said no but…

Thanks again

Yes, for the Steel Rain it's only the Mortar that requires a Reload action, the rockets can be fired in any combination across several turns without the need to reload.

As long as the Spotter is alive, ALL of that unit's weapons hit on blanks, including Close Combat weapons and the weapons of any hero attached to it.

Lol whats the guy doing? Runing with a combat knife in one hand and the binoculars in the other held up to his face wildly waving the knife around lol :-)

Thanks again

Yeah, it's one of those rule simplifications that Dust does that you just have to get on board with…

Yeah i know. One way to describe them is as special ops so they would be trained in cqc to a level above that of normal troops.

Yeah i know. One way to describe them is as special ops so they would be trained in cqc to a level above that of normal troops.