Different Deck Themes

By MinionOfProvidence, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hey all its been a while since I have been on here.

Just wanted to know some peoples deck themes and the strategy they utilize with them. Some people have pretty basics which are good and usually work best but I would love to hear some of the more creative ones out there.

I just made a sorcerer deck with silver twilight, shub, syndicate and some rather nasty neutrals. Premise is to bring out low cost shub for swarm while building resources for higher sorcerer characters who i then sacrifice with magnus stiles to put success tokens on the board. The neutral give all my characters arcane while stuggling artist allows me to choose and cancel any struggle I wish.

I like the theme, color scheme and idea but i have not played it yet so we will see if it works out.

What different kinds of decks have you who dwell in the other worlds created?

One crazy idea I had was to use the following:

Old Sea Dog

Neutral Ground

Interrogation Center

Path of Blood

This provides relatively cheap target character control, even for AOs. Running Path of Blood could even be interesting for Azathoth… The trick is protecting Sea Dog, so I was thinking about making it Syndicate for Dutch Courage, or MU for Museum Curator and Mask of Sthenelus.

Mzi had a really interesting 4 faction deck from last year using Hungry Dark Young, Museum Curator, Logan, and Prize Pistol, with a bunch of dreamlands locations. I'd be interested to see it updated with our current cardpool (forgoing of course the Shub Necronomicon since it will soon be errata'ed.)

MinionOfProvidence said:

I just made a sorcerer deck with silver twilight, shub, syndicate and some rather nasty neutrals. Premise is to bring out low cost shub for swarm while building resources for higher sorcerer characters who i then sacrifice with magnus stiles to put success tokens on the board. The neutral give all my characters arcane while stuggling artist allows me to choose and cancel any struggle I wish.

I like the theme, color scheme and idea but i have not played it yet so we will see if it works out.

I've been wanting to try a Magnus Stiles Sorcerer deck as well, but haven't actually made one yet - my feeling was that we aren't quite there in terms of having enough low-to-medium priced sorcerers concentrated into just a couple of factions. However, I have some hopes that the upcoming Yog box will contain some more sorcerers of reasonable cost and give this sort of deck a bump with a Silvert Twilight/Yog mix. We'll have to see how that works out when it releases, but in the meantime I'd be interested in seeing your deck and some reports on how it works out in practice.

Since I recently managed to acquire all the Dreamlands packs (at some effort), I've been playing with some Night/Day stuff. It does limit your faction mixing though as you really want to stick with two factions that enjoy the same time of day. So practically that means Human/Human or Mythos/Mythos. Not a huge problem, but it does cut your options a little. The Dreamlands support cards have been fun too, their drawback of only working if you have the most Dreamlands supports in play seems fairly negligible these day and some are quite strong. Cavern of Flame and Vale of Pnath are probably my favorites there.

Got a Dark Young deck we'l be covering in the next Elder Things podcast, might be recording that tonight if all goes well. I've been trying out some Hastur stuff using a proxy for the spoiled "Tattered Cloak" card - it definitely gives the Lunatics a boost but I haven't quite got it tuned up yet. I hope that when the Hastur box comes out someday there will be some ways to remove Willpower, always a pain for the Yellow guys.

I've also been looking at trying a high-Combat Syndicate deck. Some of the usual tricks, but using more of the characters with good Combat icons to provide a more "muscley" gangster feel. Right now I'm thinking mono but it could end up getting mixed with something else. It's not really too fleshed out yet.

dboeren said:

I hope that when the Hastur box comes out someday there will be some ways to remove Willpower, always a pain for the Yellow guys.

Have you tried Hastur/Cthulhu with Monophobia? In a lunatic deck it would also give you Somnambulant Dreamer, kind of like a reuseable Sacrificial Offerings.

Danigral said:

Old Sea Dog

Neutral Ground

Interrogation Center

Path of Blood

This provides relatively cheap target character control, even for AOs. Running Path of Blood could even be interesting for Azathoth… The trick is protecting Sea Dog, so I was thinking about making it Syndicate for Dutch Courage, or MU for Museum Curator and Mask of Sthenelus.

hee hee hee. i had this idea for a second (sea dog / neutral ground) until i quickly realised that neutral ground blanks the sea dog as well. oops.

COCLCG said:

Danigral said:

Old Sea Dog

Neutral Ground

Interrogation Center

Path of Blood

hee hee hee. i had this idea for a second (sea dog / neutral ground) until i quickly realised that neutral ground blanks the sea dog as well. oops.

Gaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Need to read cards better, because I thought it was opponent's neutrals. hehehe.

Danigral said:

dboeren said:

I hope that when the Hastur box comes out someday there will be some ways to remove Willpower, always a pain for the Yellow guys.

Have you tried Hastur/Cthulhu with Monophobia? In a lunatic deck it would also give you Somnambulant Dreamer, kind of like a reuseable Sacrificial Offerings.

No, I haven't. Monophobia seems like a kind of so-so solution though, since you can't apply it as a story surprise (being a Support) and as soon as they go crazy once it falls off. I do like Somnambulent Dreamer though :) Still though, potentially worth a try.

Most of my more creative deck ideas aren't competitive, unfortunately.

A couple of examples:

- Using Those Withouth Faces and Doppelgängers in combination with card effects that add Terror struggles or change other struggles into Terror struggles to discard my opponent's deck.

- Using Clover Club Regular supported by Professor Rice and Cold Spring Glen to put my opponent in danger of milling himself by drawing excessive amounts of cards (arguably one of my more crazy ideas ;-)).

- Using Dreamlands Messenger and Voice of the Jungle to cancel my opponent's ability to play events or trigger card effects.

- Making it impossible for my opponent to commit any characters to stories using Arkham Inmate and Binding Worm.

- Winning stories in a single turn via extra tokens gained from driving my own characters insane with Catacombs Docent and Mad Genius.

Yeah, I'd like Clover Club Regular to be good for something too :)

Off the top of my head, 3 of the themes (from many many many) that I enjoyed working on were:

- a Miskatonic / Shub deck that involved a lot of Scientists and Mi-go holed up in the Atwood Science Hall basement doing experiments on each other titled : IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE.

- a Hastur / Agency deck revolving around Lunatics, Security, Psychologists and St. Amabilis titled : CRIMINALLY INSANE.

- a Miskatonic / Agency deck that had all the Archeologists, Natural History Museum, Security guards, Relics and Nyarlathotep that tried to envision the unearthing of ancient egyptian tombs and the releasing of badness titled : THE RAISING OF NYARLATHOTEP.

I'm interested in seeing more from this thread. What themes would be plausible with, let's say 3 cores and Secrets of Arkham? :)