Any interest in other factions?

By pantera3, in Dust Warfare

Are there any other factions you think this

game should have?

Micronesian Foreign Legion

I know several players who want the Japanese as a stand alone faction. At the least they want enough Japanese centric troops to run a Japanese Axis force.

I want my Saucer men (Vrill).

I would also like to see subfactions such as Majestic 12 get a special platoon and orders within the Allied force.

Vrill. I think it'll be the next one announced.

Vrill, wow…

4 Factions would be a good number, even adding an independent one should be fine,

thus making 5 good as well:

i'm seeing some new models being released for the independent faction from dust studio

Mattador Actual said:

I'm hoping we never see the Vrill. Though they would make good miniatures I'd think they would take Dust out of a WWII type environment into fantasy sci-fi stuff. Two situations would happen with a Vrill invasion; 1) they team up with one of the human factions making two opposing sides or 2) everyone realises some race is out to take over Earth and all humans unite, making us against them. In either case they'd likely split the game into two factions only rather than increasing them. Plus then we'd just be playing the Harry Turtledove Worldwar series (which would be cool on its own but it's not the Dust I like).

My hope is they flesh out the pacific theatre giving us Commonwealth, American, Chinese and Japanese units with some sort of island hopping themed walkers. I also want to see the Japanese break out into their own faction rather than just be a unit or two for the Axis.

I'd also like to see some more variation in the forces. Adding British and French forces makes the Allies feel more global command rather than just the Yanks. The Axis could gain some Italian, Czech or other regional units. Of course this isn't Bolt Action so I don't expect stand-alone armies, just the odd unit to nod to the fact it isn't just USA versus Germany.

My final expansion I'd like to see would be mercenaries ond partisans. Forces that are cobbled together but could be fielded as platoon choices for any faction. These could possibly include Soldier 1 units, so the forces may make up with large numbers or other rules to assist hidden movement (as they are likely to know the lay of the land).

And lets not forget there is fighting in Brazil too. All sorts of jungle goodness for sculpting there.

GamerDroid said:

Mattador Actual said:

I'm hoping we never see the Vrill. Though they would make good miniatures I'd think they would take Dust out of a WWII type environment into fantasy sci-fi stuff. Two situations would happen with a Vrill invasion; 1) they team up with one of the human factions making two opposing sides or 2) everyone realises some race is out to take over Earth and all humans unite, making us against them. In either case they'd likely split the game into two factions only rather than increasing them. Plus then we'd just be playing the Harry Turtledove Worldwar series (which would be cool on its own but it's not the Dust I like).

My hope is they flesh out the pacific theatre giving us Commonwealth, American, Chinese and Japanese units with some sort of island hopping themed walkers. I also want to see the Japanese break out into their own faction rather than just be a unit or two for the Axis.

I'd also like to see some more variation in the forces. Adding British and French forces makes the Allies feel more global command rather than just the Yanks. The Axis could gain some Italian, Czech or other regional units. Of course this isn't Bolt Action so I don't expect stand-alone armies, just the odd unit to nod to the fact it isn't just USA versus Germany.

My final expansion I'd like to see would be mercenaries ond partisans. Forces that are cobbled together but could be fielded as platoon choices for any faction. These could possibly include Soldier 1 units, so the forces may make up with large numbers or other rules to assist hidden movement (as they are likely to know the lay of the land).

And lets not forget there is fighting in Brazil too. All sorts of jungle goodness for sculpting there.

sorry, but Vrill have been planned from the start. When AEG was originally going to distribute the game, they were going to be the fourth expansion, even before the SSU and aircraft. Paolo has said, he didn't like the design, so he went back to the drawing board on them. They are an integral part of the Dust Wars universe and need to be represented. It's was never meant to be a strict WWII environment, it's always been Weird War from the beginning. I'll love to see other human forces as well, but I have a good chunk of my own gaming group that are on pins and needles waiting for the Vrill to show up.

I would like some more Platoon types or configurations.

I would like a Panzer er um Walker force where walkers are the primary unit even.

i want to run just say Hans scouts, or something similiar.

simpatikool said:

I would like some more Platoon types or configurations.

I would like a Panzer er um Walker force where walkers are the primary unit even.

i want to run just say Hans scouts, or something similiar.

there are some experimental walker platoons in Dust Chronicles, I believe issue #3

GamerDroid said:

Mattador Actual said:

I'd think they would take Dust out of a WWII type environment into fantasy sci-fi stuff.

You mean the one with robot tanks, lasers, phasers, apes, radioactive men, and umm…zombies? Come on, man. That ****'s powered by tasty little nuggets of alien technology.

Mattador Actual said:

You mean the one with robot tanks, lasers, phasers, apes, radioactive men, and umm…zombies? Come on, man. That ****'s powered by tasty little nuggets of alien technology.

I love that there was alien technology that boosted everyones war effot. I enjoy the robot tanks, lasers, phasers, et al. I still find it is WW2 because in the end we have humans fighting humans. My concern is what happens to the story when the Vrill get here. They are either so advanced nothing can beat them (which is conceivable when you consider they boosted our tech but would've kept a lot for themselves and can travel interstellar space), or on par with the humans so that you wonder how they even managed to get to our planet in the first case. The main concern would be if it becomes us (humans) versus them, or they join one of the factions and it becomes 2 on 2. I don't know what the story plans are (and I don't read the comics either so I only know what comes from rule books). Maybe if the enemy aliens to the Vrill show up at the same time to fight on Earth, then I can see 5 independent factions happily existing together.

Even with all the advanced technology being used by humans I still see the Hammers donning their asbestos fibre suit, smelling the lead paint burn off their armour when the rockets fire up and looking at the radium painted altitude dial just under their faces. That's what makes it seem more 1940's to me that a pure sci-fi setting.

In the end the only problem is the fluff, and parts of that can easily be ignored. I'm sure the miniatures will look great I'm just wondering how they'll differentiate alien from the human rules wise.

He does make a good point. At the moment it's just Weird War II, the war glimpsed through anime. (Anyone here old enough to remember Ring Of Red?) A true stalemate when the Vrill show up is highly unlikely; after all, isn't that the reason the Germans are still fighting, so they can try to get strong enough to resist the Vrill? As a student of history (and a resident of Missouri) I know darn well that Truman would toss the current conflict out the window and ally with the Germans in a moment to stave off an alien invasion. (I believe Churchill said something about "allying with the Devil if Hitler was invading Hell" in reference to allying with Stalin). All the intramural human fun goes out the airlock when the aliens show up and start wrecking things; even the SSU might go, "Huh, we can fignt each other once these jerks are gone" and join in. (See Stalin's opinion of turning to the West, particularly to Churchill, who had actually sent troops to oppose Communism in the 1920s, when the Germans came knocking.)

Japanese as seen on Red Alert 3 would be awesome! Although RA3 is still more "fantastic" and over-the-top than Dust :P

But also there could be some south-american alliance, maybe in 1948 they join up to mine their own VK or something (Argentina is still neutral). Maybe there could be a strange artic nation, pretty much like the one in Dystopian Wars, an entire human civilization living in underground cities in the polar regions of the world, unknown to the rest of the world. An alliance of Asian countrys still could be a good idea, although I think it needs some more thinking to be attractive.

Vrill are an excellent idea, as I see it.

And then maybe there are sub factions, like canadians, or brasilians, or neutral swiss, or something like that.

Actually i'm not sure that any material, even if very interesting, has some sort of connection with

new releases from FFG and Dust Ltd. It's a very good fan-zine though

---

Names and artwork are © 2012 Dust Ltd. and/or Fantasy Flight Games Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Dust Tactics & Dust Warfare and their logos are trademarks of Dust Ltd.
Images and trademarks used with permission.
We do our best to ensure www. links are correct but do not take responsibillity for the content of web pages

Finns and Italians…and have them available for any faction.

Some of my pals aren't interested in any faction yet. I'm hoping some crazy awesome Vrill hook them.

To survive as a wargame, Dust Warfare will need atleast one if not two, or three more factions. I play axis now, but have been waiting for a fourth faction. I have been hoping vrill is comming, but I fear it wont be the next one. That said, I do think Japan could be a possibility. It could also be a sub factions that could mix with Axis or get benefits from being 100% pure Japanese. This could then happen for British or French, then Chinese.

Either way, I wait expectantly for a fourth faction anounced. It is all up to Mr. Parente and his vision… and the Dust Tactics game.

very true, it should be release soon, are there any other signs or hipothesis on the net?