Dice for Weapons

By El_Tonio, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I was searching through the beginner set, the Beta book updates (I don't have the beta book, but found some sections online), and gribble's reference sheet, but couldn't quite figure out how weapons dice were calculated.

For example, for the pregenerated characters, it says how many green and yellow dice to use when you attack with each weapon. But for the weapons info provided (for example on p. 33 of the beginner rule book and p. 8+ of gribble's reference guide it does not provide info about how many of each dice to use. So, for example, how do you know how many of each dice to roll for a blaster rifle (typical stormtooper gun)? Is it based on abilities and skills (and if so, how)?

Sorry if I'm just missing something that was mentioned somewhere, but I read and even searched but was not able to find it.

Thanks!

It's page 6 of the rulebook, about dice pools

Yes, it is based on abilities. All a combat roll is, is another type of skill check. So if a blaster pistol lets say, utilizes 'ranged light', then you would just be doing a ranged light skill check like any other skill check. The only thing that comes into play for the actual weapon itself, are things like crits (required number of advantage), special activations, and base damage.

Remember, that a weapon has its base damage, lets say of 6, and you you roll 2 failures and 4 successes. You then add those net successes to the damage, which in this case would be 2 net successes, for a damage total of 8 from that attack.

Other than that, yeah, it's just a skill check.

Bummer, I thought someone was going to show the pegging of dice at a PlayerGM.

If we use the blaster pistol example above. Agility and ranged (light). Let's say your rodian has agility 3 and ranged (light) 2 - this means 3 dice altogether, two of which is proficiency, while one is ability - the higher is the amount of ability dice in the pool, while the lower of the two sets of values are number of upgrades to proficiency dice. Just like normal skill checks as mentioned above.

Difficulty depends on range - default is 1 purple for short, 2 for medium and 3 for long. This can be modified further of course due to talents, extenuating circumstances and more.

Cynabar said:

Bummer, I thought someone was going to show the pegging of dice at a PlayerGM.

Brings new meaning to the phrase "adversarial GM/Player relationship" :D