Making scenarios

By YoshiPL, in Doom

Hello all,

1st thing - bought Doom tBG and after 1st game I'm a bit disappointed. We played the 1st scenario in the booklet (I know it's the simplest one) but still it's like the game misses something importaint :/ Perpahps it's cause I played Descent for some time (which is more evolved then Doom.

Well, let me get to the point. I know that I'm not t supposed to play just the basic scenarios (given by the FFG). So I should make my own scenarios. And I have few questions about that.

1). Do you use some scenario programs, if yes tthen which? (I dl'ed few already).

2). How do you know what equipment / monsters will be enough?

Do you use rules of any kind? Something like: "In the first room you can spent 5 points of monsters and need to give 3 equipment tokens. The monsters are worth: Zombies 1pts, Imps 2pts ...(and so on)... In the second room you can buy monsters worth of 8pts.... ?

3). Any suggestions how to improve the game? Mods, optional stuff.

4). Is it just Mars for you? Was wondering if anyone tried to play the game as if the marines were sent to deal with the invaders but the threat was known for some time (and not that "portal accident" over and over again). You know, like the marines in Aliens 4 :)

Before deciding what to do with the game I will play some more games. Hope the disappointment will vanish.

What are your game expiriences?

YoshiPL said:

1). Do you use some scenario programs, if yes tthen which? (I dl'ed few already).

2). How do you know what equipment / monsters will be enough?

Do you use rules of any kind? Something like: "In the first room you can spent 5 points of monsters and need to give 3 equipment tokens. The monsters are worth: Zombies 1pts, Imps 2pts ...(and so on)... In the second room you can buy monsters worth of 8pts.... ?

3). Any suggestions how to improve the game? Mods, optional stuff.

4). Is it just Mars for you? Was wondering if anyone tried to play the game as if the marines were sent to deal with the invaders but the threat was known for some time (and not that "portal accident" over and over again). You know, like the marines in Aliens 4 :)

1) I use Tib's RanDOOM scenario generator (which is totally random, so don't be surprised if a Cyberdemon appears at the start, or you fight nothing but trites)

2) Using RanDOOM, it's certainly enough

3) Expansion has mods for you to try out

4) Original game: Mars... Expansion: Half-mars half-hell... Tib's 3rd Episode: Pure Hell... Tib's 4th (still unfinished): Earth

Knuckles Eki said:

4) Original game: Mars... Expansion: Half-mars half-hell... Tib's 3rd Episode: Pure Hell... Tib's 4th (still unfinished): Earth

Where can I get the 3rd one?

Thanks very much. Gotta try it :)

Any other useful stuff? (mods, programs, FAQs etc?)

Nah, just 1 new item, 1 new invader and 6 new maps. Mind you expansion is needed.

Oh yes.

It's a pity that Descent has 4 expansions now and Doom just 1. They could make dome new monsters, skills and also such a nice little map where you can play the campaign.

Descent is fantasy, that's why they just dream up something and stuff it in an expansion. Doom however needs the actual computer game Doom to have an expansion first.

Well everything depends on the agreement with ID. If you are only allowed to copy the DOOM "universe" then yes, that limits the boardgame. But if you can expand it with your own ideas then it's simply a matter of time and work.

If you can only copy then the only thigns you can do is to make new scenarios, cards, equipment (simply modify stats - a pistol with optic scope +1range etc), give new boss miniatures, new terrain tiles, campaign rules (as in Descent: Road to Legend), new marines - something like premade characters in Descent.

But if you can expand it whatever you like then oh man. New monsters, weapons, marine types (not just the skill cards), new stuff like "magic-alike" psonics/telepathy (or whatever you call it) that can hurt the monsters aswell.

Althought I am afraid that it's the same like with White Wolf's Vampire and Werewolf. The first one is promoted like hell while the second is simply because they made it some time ago and that "shouls suit all".

Hope this changes. I like to make my own mods to games but when you decide and buy something then you want to play it as it is made, not just use some of it (like, terrain, minis, tokens)......

Do what you want. Make them go to a spacecraft and jet off to somewhere else in space. Make it that the corridors are the insides of a mine in Pluto. Make new cards like 'Scavenger' that allows a marine to automatically recieve new bullets whenever he killed a zombie. Make new monsters like Boomers, Smokers, Hunters, Witches and the Tank (from Left 4 Dead) with their special abilities (don't make them too strong though). Anything goes.

You forgot 1 thing mate. After making Share ith with others :)

Doom isn't Descent. It doesn't need xyz expansions just to make it not suck.

Doom is a game for real men™ cool.gif gran_risa.gif

I uploaded some of my standalone scenarios to Boardgamegeek you know, 3 so far (2 doesn't need expansion, 1 does)

A game also for real women! With real... emm... dice? :)

I was thinking about a campaign in space. The "marines" would be convicts shipped to a galactical prison (a space station or something on one of the planets) but while beign transported something happened :) 1st zombies come from containers taht were supposed to contain equipment for the prison colony (station). the prisones are tapped in the cells with zombies roaming in corridors (time for the Invader to gater few cards (2-3 turns) then, the power goes out for a while and the cells are opened. Now it's fight for your life! While running they would also have to fight the guards, get eqipment etc. Getting not killed and running to the ship's engines (which don't work for some reason) and the bridge the "marines" would have to seperate (less zombies killed - or simply will take them longer). 1st scenario would be on the prison ship. Later ones in the prison colony? a strange planet whre the ship crashed? a space port? (if they menage to fly the ship) Who knows :)

How about using Games Workshop Tyranids for the Invaders to add more 'Xeno' feel to it

That is a good idea but would remind me too much of 40k I think :/ Will have to think somethig.... Maybe I use the Staship Trooper minis (the bugs ofc) :D

It'll remind you of the long forgotten game of... SPACE HULK

Oh yes... have it in my fantasy club :)

But it won't be just Genestealers those marines have to deal with this time... Biovores (Mancubi), Warriors (Hell Knights) and even a Hive Tyrant (Cyberdemon) will dog them this time

Still.... would remind me too much of WH40k... no "hell theme" with that :/

I know, I'm not too fond of the 'hell' theme, I prefer Alien Invaders

I use Space Marines as the Marines (Different chapters) or even FIre Warriors (or both if I want an alliance)

Well perhaps I might add a "third party" to this conflict. As you mentioned the Fire Warrios (Tau) - they might be an excelent addon together with Kroot Carnivores, Kroot Hounds, Etherals and the big Kroot beast (the one with a gunner mounted on it's back). Could be exciting to play it lie that. 3 marines + Invarder + Aliens ^^.

The Fire Warriors would be like marines (they mainly shoot), Kroots would fight with the assistance of the Hounds, the "beast would be a larger monster (makes the game more entertaining) and the Etheral would have some kind of range attack (telepathy?).

And yes, the Drones. They would be like Trites (fragile but very annoying - especially with the Scuttle ability) and perhaps some would add protection bonus to "bosses" or the Etherals (Shield Drones).

That might be a really nice thing.

"For the Greater Good" vs "For the Emperor"

I always use Fire Warriors vs Space Marines in Deathmatch and CTF

I might even make the scenarios as 1 Space Marine, 1 Tau Fire Warrior and 1 Eldar Guardian vs all the Tyranids. 3 Forces of Order against 1 Devourer

And those forces of order might also fight other forces of order... or you plan to send them in as a team?

A team... there is no time to quarrel between one another when the devourer seeks to consume them all.