Rules on how to play skill cards

By dr3kn, in Battlestar Galactica

Tonight our core group of 5 added a 6th to play. He is a big BSG fan, but didn't get into the game (too long for him which is somewhat understandable). So he started intentionally playing cards in the skill checks to help the cylons (even though he was a human.) I knew this b/c I was 1 cylon and knew the other, so it looked as if 3 cylons were in play. As a result, humans went into a quick tailspin and cylons (including me) won.

Im happy that I won, but I feel there should be a rule, if not already, that humans must contribute to help humanity. Otherwise they are obsecuring cylon identities, and I know its against the rules to table talk about skill cards afterwords where a human points out which cards he/she plays that would otherwise more redily identify cylons. I think its fair to say, since there is a rule that prevents humans from table talking about skill cards to make cylons life harder, there should be a rule to prevent humans from making humans life harder.

This all seems intuitive, but if you are a cylon you should play a cylon (skill checks good and bad depending) and if you are a human you should play a human (always good). Also, a person should not steer the game to end it prematurely or mess with a friend (e.g. Throw Jimmy out the airlock because its funny).

I know its just a game, but its a long one. And personally, if Im going to sit down for a few hours I want everyone to play it right.

To summarize and ask the root question, Is there a rule that states humans must always fight for the humans? (preventing people who want to leave the game and others who want to "airlock" friends for the "fun" of it)

If the guy is going to intentionally sandbag, I wouldn't invite him to the next BSG game. Seems like you have plenty of players already.

I have to agree with BrandonCarpenter. There is no rule that says you have to play for your own side, it's just an assumption of the game (and most games). But even then, there are arguably times when it would be of value for someone to play against their own side to mislead someone else. Cylons do this, of course, playing against themselves for strategic reasons. And while I've never seen a human play non-human to fool a Cylon, I could sure imagine it - for example, to keep a Cylon Cally from executing them, choosing them to airlock, or a Cylon President from brigging them with Quorum, or whatever. If the Cylon wasn't sure who was his or her ally (unlike your game you describe), she might be careful who she screwed over. I would hate to have a rule that said humans *have* play a certain way, for this reason. Also, there are many times where a person arguably plays for their own benefit but hurts the "team" (e.g., tries to take the presidency instead of doing something more important that turn). Sometimes that's just a learning curve. And you also would want to avoid arguments over whether such n such bad, own-team-hurting choice was a mere mistake or intentional (which would involve mind reading) to decide if it was allowed.

That being said, I've *hated* when players do this… spited the whole game because they're bored and decide to play their "own little game" to amuse themselves. Sometimes there are player who think that their own amusement trumps everything, and they play chaotic or arbitrarily just to mess with you. You just don't invite them again, and you call it a lesson learned.

It's a tough situation. Techincally, you are free to play as you see fit.

When you play with any new people (people you have not played with before), and especially new players, you should clearly state the basics of the game time… this is a long game, it will take "3 hours" to play, up to "4 hours", and this is not a game where someone can leave in the middle or have there spot taken over without serverely disrupting the play. Then all sides know what the commitment is.

If that game starts to run slow/long, then action should be taken to move the game along - even if some say "thats not fair"… so a 1 minute turn limit, etc.

Also a good idea to go over house rules and even techincal rules. I like to cover secrecy (including no outside the game interference), no "meta-gaming", and playing as your current status (and not to show). So, if you are human, you should play for humans to win. Even if you are Sharon and certain you will be a Cylon second half! haha. People outside the game don't look at loyalty cards, etc, or comment.

If someone just won't play right, the only REAL choices I think, are to call them on it and give them a chance to correct it… even if it means pausing the game and openly discussing some stuff - or just stopping the game. If someone is not going to play for real but just play to screw around (or wants to end the game to get out of playing), you will NEVER finish that game as a real game. Save everyone the hassle and end it. The frustatrion will be less then than it will if you drag it on another hour.

There should be a rule in which you can immediately eject someone from the game who's deliberately acting (playing) like a jerk.

Well, there's always the brig.

Personally, I'd rather have a human leave than just sandbag. It's far less disruptive especially if you were doing a 6 player game.

Mephisto666 said:

Even if you are Sharon and certain you will be a Cylon second half!

I disagree on this point. I think it would be beneficial for a pre-sleeper Sharon to throw a few negative cards in skill checks. That way it might be easier to get out of the brig after the sleeper phase regardless of her loyalty. If the other players believe all the cylons are in play before the sleeper phase then they will be a little more willing to release Sharon.

Honestly this doesn’t need an official rule. It should be part of every group’s unspoken social contract that you don’t deliberately ruin the activity for everyone else. Forfeiting is one thing but dragging your team down for no good reason is just plain rude. That person needs to stop being invited to game night.