Exhausted Cards and Card Text

By jesterhawk, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

Ok, so last night I was playing the game as a Rebel Alliance and my wife has all her dark side force committed units exhausted as do I. However, I have Jedi Training Objective which gives me 1 force during the force struggle but it is exhausted due to the fact that I used it to bring in Yoda in my deployment phase. My wife says that because the card is exhausted that I can not use the card text. That lead to a much large question that can any card (Objective, Unit, Enhancement, etc) be able to use their card text abilities if the card has a focus token on it and is exhausted. I think the answer is yes my wife thinks it is no. Can someone help to clear this up for us?

Thanks

JH

The text is unavailable only if it says to focus to gain the Action. In this case, your wife was incorrect.

Relevant section of the rules, pg 27:

"Exhausted
A card that is exhausted (i.e. has one or more focus tokens on it) cannot be focused to pay for card effects, cannot focus to strike, and cannot generate resources. However, other card abilities of an exhausted card may still be triggered, and its constant effects (if any) are still active, as long as such abilities do not require the card to focus, to be ready, or are not otherwise prohibited by the card text."

The prohibition about exhausted cards not adding their force icons to the force struggle only applies to units committed to the force through the normal channels (placing force commitment cards in the force phase). Even then the objective doesn´t technically have any force icons but just a passive effect.

In short: it still adds to the struggle, even when exhausted

Thanks!

JH