Potential new player seeking advice

By Serazu, in CoC General Discussion

Good day to all of you.

I 've always been an avid mythos fan, though never tried my luck in this game till now. A local shop made an offer I just couldn't refuse and found myself with the following Asylum packs:

Summons of the Deep

The Spawn of the Sleeper (60 cards)

2 x The Antediluvian Dreams (40 each)

The Terror of the Tides (60)

2 x The Thing from the Shore (40 each)

The Path of Y' ha - nthle (60)

Dreamlands

In the Dread of Night (40)

Sleep of the Dead (40)

Journey to Unknown Kadath (40)

The Yuggoth Contract

The Spoken Covenant (60)

The Rituals of the Order

Perilous Trials (60)

Forgotten Lore

Ancient Horrors (40)

I know that I have to play to see by myself which faction(s) better suit my tastes, still is anyone of you willing to share some of his/her insight as to what factions, as well as combinations of factions, are best represented in the above packs? In other words, if I want to build a fairly competitive deck based on the above packs plus the core set, who the main candidates would be?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Serazu said:

I know that I have to play to see by myself which faction(s) better suit my tastes, still is anyone of you willing to share some of his/her insight as to what factions, as well as combinations of factions, are best represented in the above packs? In other words, if I want to build a fairly competitive deck based on the above packs plus the core set, who the main candidates would be?

Tough question. Personally, I have little idea of what cards are from what packs, it'd probably take me an hour or more just to browse through the list of packs and build a list of good cards from each one.

But, some general suggestions…

With a limited sized card pool you're probably looking for a dual faction deck rather than a single faction one. At your level of experience I would not do more than two factions yet as it requires consistently good resourcing decisions that you may not be ready to make.

If you can, I would also pick up a copy of Secrets of Arkham. Lots of good cards in there for all factions.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about being competitive right now. You're a beginner, you're going to need to build up some experience for a while.

In general, pairing two human factions can be a little harder for beginners as they tend to feel they lose out on the Terror struggle. So it may be easier to start with Human + Mythos or Mythos + Mythos.

A good rough prototype to start out with is 30 characters, 8 supports, 12 events. Mind your cost curve too, you need some cheap guys that you can afford to play early in the game.

It's less about what specific cards are in your deck and more about knowing why you chose the cards you did and having some sort of plan.

Here's what I suggest. Take all your cards and sort them all out. Go through each faction one at a time, jot down cards that seem to go well together or fit a theme you're interested in trying. After you've done this for all the factions, review your notes. Try to pick out two factions or themes that sound like they might fit well together. These might be themes that are both strong at the same thing (do one thing and do it well) or themes that cover each others weaknesses (make a well-rounded deck). Play some games with that deck. During the games, pay attention to cards that you rarely use and cards that you're always happy to draw. Make some changes - take out the cards that you didn't like and replace them with something else. What is it about the cards you liked? Should you look for more cards similar to those?

After you feel comfortable with this deck and it's working well, write down your list so you can reconstruct it later and move on to another deck, ideally with two different factions than the first. Repeat the same process with the new deck. Then do it again. Every new deck you make will teach you something. After you've had a good taste of each faction and some experience with these first decks then you'll be able to go back around and feel like you know what to do to make the decks stronger. So maybe pull out one of your first deck lists and tune it up with your better understanding of the game you now have. Congratulations, you're walking the path ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. A think to note: I 'm not a beginner in card games in general, far from it. I 've played MtG for years and I 'm currently involved in the LCG arena with AGoT (at a very good level I dare say) and LotR, so I know the basic parameters of introducing myself into a card game. It's just that the CoC is unknown waters to me at this point, hence asking for help.

Anyway, a friend of mine is also interested in the game (he's more experienced than me, since he played CoC in its CCG days) and we 're probably going to split card pools, so as to cut expenses in half. Concerning the Mythos factions, he picked Yog and Hastur and I picked Shub and the fat green guy.

Now, concerning the Human factions, from the little I 've noticed by browsing the internet, I see that the Syndicate might be a good choice for me, since its rush and control potential might prove useful to aid my two Mythos factions, so I 'll probably pick it up. He likes the Silver Twilight, so this faction is taken as well. Which of the remaining two are you guys suggesting picking up? I know that the Agency is all about muscle, but since I 've already picked the muscle Mythos factions, would it be sort of overkill to pick it up as well and go for the Miskatonic?

What are your suggestions? If you were in my place, which two Human factions would you pick to complement the Mythos factions I 've already chosen?

Thank you.

If you're going to be splitting them up like that I would probably go with Syndicate and Miskatonic and let him take Agency + Silver Twilight.

Shub and Cthulhu are the two more combat oriented among the Mythos factions, so I feel like taking Agency would give less variety to both of you, and keep him from being able to field a deck that he can feel is your match in combat.

Miskatonic will fit with your like for rush decks, they're good at that sort of thing with a lot of cards and icons that let them make faster progress at stories.