Award unopposed bonus when all defending units are destroyed before edge battle?

By djuanbond, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

The following is a gameplay example I ran into the other day: If a player has one participating unit (defender) in an engagement and that unit is destroyed before the edge battle due to an action ( Admiral Ackbar ), does this result in an unopposed bonus for the attacker?

I ask the question because the rules for unopposed bonus says, "Any participating unit (attacking or defending) that has not been destroyed by the end of the resolve strikes step is considered to have survived the engagement."

Does that mean that the unopposed bonus will be awarded if there were defending units going into the resolve strikes step and they were destroyed? Or, does it mean if a defending unit was destroyed at anytime before the end of the resolve strikes step?

djuanbond said:

The following is a gameplay example I ran into the other day: If a player has one participating unit (defender) in an engagement and that unit is destroyed before the edge battle due to an action ( Admiral Ackbar ), does this result in an unopposed bonus for the attacker?

I ask the question because the rules for unopposed bonus says, "Any participating unit (attacking or defending) that has not been destroyed by the end of the resolve strikes step is considered to have survived the engagement."

Does that mean that the unopposed bonus will be awarded if there were defending units going into the resolve strikes step and they were destroyed? Or, does it mean if a defending unit was destroyed at anytime before the end of the resolve strikes step?

It means that a unit must still be in play at the end of the resolve strikes step to be considered a surviving unit. So in your example, the defending player has no surviving units because there are no units that remain at the end of the resolve strikes step. The fact that they were destroyed even earlier in the engagement is irrelevant.

The unopposed bonus occurs when the attacking player has at least one surviving unit and the defending player has zero surviving units. Simple way to look at it: if, once everyone is finished striking, there are some attackers left on table and zero defenders (regardless of when those defenders died or if there ever were defenders) then you get 1 extra damage for being unopposed.

Thanks for the clarification dbmeboy!

So the answer is pretty simple; characters have to make it to the appropriate phase.

djuanbond said:

Also, don't forget, in your particular example, you automatically win the edge battle as the defender controlls no participating units when it begins (as long as you use the action window after defenders are declared for the Ackbar trap).

Really saying this for the lurkers who read posts for the responses, as I'm sure you were already aware of this fact. :-)

stormwolf27 said:

djuanbond said:

Also, don't forget, in your particular example, you automatically win the edge battle as the defender controlls no participating units when it begins (as long as you use the action window after defenders are declared for the Ackbar trap).

Really saying this for the lurkers who read posts for the responses, as I'm sure you were already aware of this fact. :-)

While I generally resent being called a lurker, I do appreciate it when I read stuff like that; especially since I am so new to the game.