Clarification on "targeting"

By djuanbond, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

When Force Stasis [ http://goo.gl/zZeXw] is played, the text says "Target an enemy Character or Creature unit. That unit cannot be declared as an attacker or defender until the end of the phase." What is the action of "targeting"? Does this mean putting the event card over the unit until the end of the phase? Does it mean putting a focus token on the unit until the end of the phase?

djuanbond said:

When Force Stasis [ http://goo.gl/zZeXw] is played, the text says "Target an enemy Character or Creature unit. That unit cannot be declared as an attacker or defender until the end of the phase." What is the action of "targeting"? Does this mean putting the event card over the unit until the end of the phase? Does it mean putting a focus token on the unit until the end of the phase?

Neither. The term "target" means that you have to select a valid card for the effect (in this case, a character or creature unit), or you cannot even attempt to play the card.

That's what I figured. I just thought it was weird that there wasn't some visual indication applied to a card that showed it wasn't usable during the phase.

However, when I do resolve actions that target a player from not being able to participate in a phase, I have the owner flip the card over and at the end of the phase, flip it face up. I know that actions on the card still resolve, but with it flipped over and during a multiple engagement conflict phase, it's a nice reminder.

djuanbond said:

That's what I figured. I just thought it was weird that there wasn't some visual indication applied to a card that showed it wasn't usable during the phase.

However, when I do resolve actions that target a player from not being able to participate in a phase, I have the owner flip the card over and at the end of the phase, flip it face up. I know that actions on the card still resolve, but with it flipped over and during a multiple engagement conflict phase, it's a nice reminder.

Duh, turn it sideways, it's so easy :)

Thanks dbmeboy!

Another question about targeting:

Can you target your own cards for negative effects on your opponent?

Example:

Vader uses Force Choke on your Emperor, who gives the damage to a Royal Guard. Since a Event was played, I now put one damage on a Home One that has only one health left killing that unit.

Valid move?

Rogue 4 said:

Example:

Vader uses Force Choke on your Emperor, who gives the damage to a Royal Guard. Since a Event was played, I now put one damage on a Home One that has only one health left killing that unit.

Valid move?

Absolutely valid.

Rogue 4 said:

Example:

Valid move?

Valid move. Force choke targets a character or creature unit. If it specified an enemy unit, that wouldn't work, but it doesn't say that so it does work. Also, why not just target the Royal Guard in the first place? No need to target the Emperor and redirect it to the guard that I can think of…

i know i was ust throwing out another option to using the card. I would have done that too.