Boba Fett vs. 1 health units

By Xenu's Paradox, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

So what happens if Boba hits a unit with 1 health (2 or less if you have edge)? Captured or discarded? Does the active player get to choose?

The DS player chooses since it is a reaction and not a forced reaction.

This came up a little earlier and the consensus was discarded, though I did submit it to FFG so hopefully it will be in the FAQ. Basically, because his ability is a reaction and not a response it does not happen until after the damage is on the unit. As units with damage at or above their damage capacity are "immediately" destroyed, the thought was that that would happen before his reaction could work and per pg 27 he could not capture the unit from the discard pile as only cards that specifically refer to an out-of-play area can interact with cards there. There is some possibility that there is time for the reaction to go off before the card is destroyed, as we don't have any guidelines in the rules for how fast "immediately" is compared to a Reaction.

Budgernaut said:

The DS player chooses since it is a reaction and not a forced reaction.

Except the unit will be in the discard pile before it can be captured, or so it would seem.

The unit has fatal damage and therefore is dead before it can be captured is how we all agreed on it last time this came up. If Boba Fett had an interrupt then it would be different.

As others have pointed out, since the ability on Boba Fett is a reaction, the circumstance that triggers it resolves fully prior to being able to resolve Boba Fett's reaction. A unit with only 1 damage capacity remaining, if targeted by a strike from Boba Fett, would be discarded prior to the resolution of Boba Fett's effect.

Not to belabor the point, but as Toqtamish pointed out, the timing of interrupts is different, and they largely use the term "when." It seems subtle, but that term is very important in this game as it suspends things in a way I've not seen any mechanic perform in other games. Understanding the usage of that term really cleared up a lot of questions I had regarding seemingly perplexing timing issues. For example, "when this unit leaves play" and "after this units leaves play" mean two entirely different things based upon the definitions in the rulebook.

Wow, so the indent of Boba Fett in capturing people was only designed to capture characters that have 2 or more health?

Sounds like a strange idea, but ok……..

jss_hobbie said:

Wow, so the indent of Boba Fett in capturing people was only designed to capture characters that have 2 or more health?

Intent remains to be seen if they errata or some such thing with the FAQ. But for now the rules (and intent as best as we can tell) is that he only captures things that he doesn't kill. When you think about it though, that does make thematic sense.

dbmeboy said:

jss_hobbie said:

Intent remains to be seen if they errata or some such thing with the FAQ. But for now the rules (and intent as best as we can tell) is that he only captures things that he doesn't kill. When you think about it though, that does make thematic sense.

"I want them alive -- no disintegrations!"

"As you wish."

Sounds like Fett's notorious for killing his bounties. Presumably he has some kind of helmet camera to provide proof, otherwise he'd be going without pay a lot.

Boba Fett rocks. He is so cool that they put him on a card sleeve …

Toqtamish said:

The unit has fatal damage and therefore is dead before it can be captured is how we all agreed on it last time this came up. If Boba Fett had an interrupt then it would be different.

My appologies. I didn't realize there was a former discussion, much less a consensus. I've been away since these forums have been frustratingly reluctant to load properly.

Budgernaut said:

My appologies. I didn't realize there was a former discussion, much less a consensus. I've been away since these forums have been frustratingly reluctant to load properly.

Don't worry about it. Nobody is ever going to blame you for not finding previous discussions on these forums.