Using X-Wing Miniature rules with Edge of the Empire experiences?

By NezziR, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Has anyone tried combining the X-Wing Miniature rules with the Edge of the Empire rules yet? I'd love to see a discussion on this. An (un)official combining technique would be most welcome. I'm just now reading through both rulesets. If I come up with a viable method, I'll share.

NezziR

I think I may of mentioned this in another topic but you could use the X-Wing Range Ruler to determine the Range Bands in EotE like Range 1 is Short/Close, Range 2 is Medium, 3 is Long and beyong 3 is Extreme, but other then that I don't know about the rules crossing

I think the way we're going to do it is, use the movement rules from X-Wing and everything else from the RPG.

Short range would be the length of the range ruler, medium the table, and long/extreme off table. Trying it tonight, I'll see how it works. My one concern is that the ranges are so long that the maneuvers won't be effective. We'll see. If it doesn't work, I'll make some larger turn templates.

--Nez

Im trying to do the same, how did you do?

I've not actually had a chance to look at Edge of Empire yet but from what i've read, I'd imagine that it's fairly easy to simply replace the ship combat rules with X-Wing.

The Krayt Fang uses the Outer Rim Smuggler profile and to keep everybody interested, PC's take specific roles on a ship and each character allows the Krayt Fang to take an action of some kind based on a specific test:

Pilot - controls the movement dial and rolls defence dice, a successful Pilot check allows the ship to take an Evade action, the Pilot skill of the ship is set by the Pilot's dice pool for Pilot (how many times can I type Pilot in one sentence?), with Yellow dice counting for two (if Sasha is the pilot the ship has a Pilot Skill of 4)

Gunner - rolls the dice for shooting one of the weapons, a successful Gunnery check allows the ship to take a Target Lock action

Co-Pilot - Can use the ship's systems to aid the rest of the crew as appropriate with a Computers roll to allow the ship to take a Focus action or can plot a hyperspace jump with a successful Astrogation roll

Engineer - can restore a shield with a successful Mechanics roll (maybe even allow a Boost action)

Obviously this can be complicated by having other things going on on board - especially when the Fang starts taking hull damage. I'd need to test the ideas though and I've no idea what an appropriate level of difficulty would be - but I'd imagine tasks get harder as the situation gets worse.

The fact that Escape from Mos Shuuta has a YT-1300 and TIE Fighters is a good reference point for assigning X-Wing Stats to other ships in the game (such as the Kubaz's Dunelizard). I also felt that some of the ship combat specific abilities on the talent trees can also be replaced with some of the upgrade cards from the X-Wing game.

Anyway, that's my ideas so far…will expand on them once I've got the game in my hands.

Using X-Wing should provide a quick and cinematic space battle in the middle of the game.

I think that those are great ideas. It's fairly easy to convert EoE to X-wing, the problem is to involve the non-piloting characters, which I think you've managed excellently!

When I am GM I like to give my players choices, and I am going to try to expand your ideas with more tasks. Like, it requires three successful astrogation checks before you can jump, but sometimes the navigator chooses to do something else instead, e.g. providing a focus. It has to be so important that it makes him/her pause the work toward escape.

More suggestions:

The co-pilot can (after the maneuver dial has been set) make an appropriate skill roll to avtivate an R2-like ability, turning the maneuver green if it was range 2 or less.

The mechanic can make a (difficult) skill check to activate a R2-D2-like ability, after the maneuver dial has been set.

The gunner also has the choice activate the ability of the card 'Gunner'.

Someone can make a skill check to get rid of a target lock or release chaffs once enemy missiles have been launched.

Are there more suggestions?

I'm going to go through the utility cards to look for more inspiration.

Right, I've got the Beginner Game box and I can now expand upon my original post.

The Krayt's Fang is a standard YT-1300 using the Outer Rim Smuggler pilot card. The only difference is that the pilot skill on the card is changed to reflect the skill of the pilot which is equivalent to Agility + Pilot skill ranks (e.g. Pash would have a Pilot Skill of 5). Just as in the main game, the PC's take one of the following roles aboard the ship:

Pilot (x1) - Chooses the direction and speed of the ship on the maneuver dial and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Pilot test (difficulty is set by the arrow on the maneuver dial: green = easy, white = average, red = hard) will give the ship a Focus (gaining the advantage), Evade (evasive maneuvers) or Boost (punch it) token as long as the ship has access to those tokens (only Focus is available to the Krayt's Fang) - Pilot tests are affected by the ship's handling stat (bonuses are Boost die and penalties are Setback die)
  • A successful Pilot test is needed to avoid taking damage from a collision (difficulty is set by the arrow on the maneuver dial: green = easy, white = average, red = hard)
  • Any Gunner or Co-Pilot Action

Gunner (x2) - Rolls the weapons dice for a single attack from the ship and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Gunnery test will establish a Target Lock (difficulty is equal to the speed of the targetted ship)
  • Switch to another position in the ship

Engineer (x2) - Rolls the agility dice for the ship and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Mechanics (hard) test will restore one of the ship's shields
  • A successful Mechanics (hard) test will turn a critical damage card face down
  • A successful Athletics (hard) test will remove one damage card

Co-Pilot (x1) - Adds their ranks in Pilot to the ship's Pilot Skill (Oskara would raise Pash's pilot skill to 6) and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Computers (average) test prevents one enemy ship from granting benefits to or gaining benefits from other ships
  • A successful Perception (hard) test reveals the pilot and upgrade cards of one enemy ship
  • A successful Astrogation (average) test will plot a hyperspace course, the ship may leave the battle by exiting the edge of the board in the following turn
  • Switch to another position on the ship

PC controlled ships do not receive upgrade cards unless they have ship related talents which are negated by the X-Wing rules. For example, with Pash, Skilled Jockey operates as normal, but Full Throttle might grant the equivalent of Engine Upgrades (allowing a ship to Boost) and Improved Full Throttle might grant Push the Limit (allowing Pash to do two actions)

Stress would work as normal and enemy ships operate normally too (I figure that the lack of tests is balanced by the limit of a single action) to keep the action as quick as possible and reduce the GM's job. Destruction of a ship doesn't necessarily mean character death, just that the ship is effectively out of the fight (e.g. like Wedge in ANH), which can lead to crash landings, boarding actions and other excitement.

I also used the TIE/LN, Y-Wing and YT-1300 to get a bead on how ships from the RPG should be statted in X-Wing and came up with the following:

Thweek's Dunelizard:

Pilot Skill: 4, Weapons: 2, Agility: 2, Hull: 3, Shields: 2

Actions: Target Lock, Focus, Evade

Upgrades: Missiles, Astromech, Elite Pilot (might be used to make him more of a threat)

The Lucky Guess (Large):

Pilot Skill: 5, Weapons: 2, Agility: 2, Hull: 3, Shields: 2

Actions: Target Lock, Focus

Upgrades: Must take a single Crew upgrade to represent the second Vio sibling

This would be a develop it as you go system, but my first impressions are that it would be more dynamic that the ship combat in the book (which is essentially just dice rolling). I've already thought about how things would change for fighters. Essentially a Y-Wing could have a Pilot/Gunner and an Astromech as a Co-Pilot/Engineer. I'd rule that the ship can't jump to Hyperspace without an Astromech.

Those re my ideas anyway. Hope they're useful.

I would still use the basic rules from EotE.

But I'd use the maneuver templates and miniatures to represent ships. I'd use the firing archs to make space combat more tactical. I'd clasify the different maneuver templates and have pilots make checks based on the maneuver template value compared to the ships handling and current speed.

Try just using a 8x4 'rolling' table and using the straight RPG ship rules - it works well and is fun, very narrative. Should be even better when the core rules come out and we can use those. Doesn't 'replace' X-Wing of course but is good fun between mates. Gets potential RPG players into using the dice and having to come up with a narrative as well.

Rich

Yeah I must say I am not a fan of the Edge of the Empire flight mechanics.
Using X-Wing to replace the in game flight system was an original idea of mine even before finding this forum. I will say to those of you who have a sad memory like myself, make your own rules for integration, you will remember it better.

*I suggest starting along the path of having your group purchase a ship (in game) that you the GM can buy the miniature for. I play the X-Wing game anyhow so it will always have more than the single purpose at the end of the day...

*The some of the upgrades from EOTE could cross over with X-Wing, some may not so remove those ones as an option to purchase in EOTE, the more expansions you buy for X-Wing, the more upgrade cards you'll have to choose from.

*Remove the pointless upgrade cards which only refer to the X-Wing game rules, such as pilot cards and ship name cards (assuming no one in your group is actually the owner of THE "Millennium Falcon" or THE "Outrider" or "Slave I", you get the point.

*Adjust the way the turns work so the entire group may participate instead of having just one "pilot" take control of the ship. If your ship has turrets on its body, allow the initiation "cool" check to proceed as in EOTE, the amount of positions on your ship could equal the amount of players able to participate (plus a pilot deciding the movement).

*Finally, your EOTE skill check for piloting (space, planetary) can reflect which "pilot" card you use to REPRESENT your pilot/ship in the X-Wing/EOTE crossover. Ignore the name on the X-Wing pilot card, use the stats alone.

X-WING IS AN AMAZING GAME! SO DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID LIKE MODIFYING YOUR MINIATURES! YOU CAN
RE-SELL THEM IF NEED BE TO A GAME STORE OR EVEN PLAY THE X-WING GAME YOURSELF AND COLLECT!

Hiya,

I am working on an integration identical to poster's original desire - use of X-Wing miniatures, maneuvers, and table-top but with everything else managed via Edge of Empire rules. Curious if anyone has more recent experiences trying this, and I hope to run a sample scenario twice soon, once pure EoE, once with the integrated system, do two battle reports and compare the experiences.

My initial idea was that everything on the table is considered close and short in terms of determining whether or not a given EoE weapon system can fire, and that anything medium or greater is "off the table". Off the table ships can come onto the table by closing if they so desire, or stay off the table and fire at ships on the table if they desire. I was also playing with the idea of using the X-Wing range ruler as a more discrete range, and add a bonus die to the shot if shooter is within X-Wing short range, a setback die to the shot if shooter is at X-Wing long range or beyond. This would give weapons on the table a longer effective range than they have in an X-Wing game, but I'm not sure that would be a problem.

Before I can play a trial run, I have to come up with some decisions about how EoE maneuver actions translate to the X-Wing maneuver mechanics (changing speed, gaining advantage, etc.). I hope to have a trial run in next couple weeks!

I was simply going to use my X-Wing Miniatures fleet as visual reference in a very general way, but it might consider doing something like me this.

I think it might help keep everyone involved with what's going on.

Great idea!

Right, I've got the Beginner Game box and I can now expand upon my original post.

The Krayt's Fang is a standard YT-1300 using the Outer Rim Smuggler pilot card. The only difference is that the pilot skill on the card is changed to reflect the skill of the pilot which is equivalent to Agility + Pilot skill ranks (e.g. Pash would have a Pilot Skill of 5). Just as in the main game, the PC's take one of the following roles aboard the ship:

Pilot (x1) - Chooses the direction and speed of the ship on the maneuver dial and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Pilot test (difficulty is set by the arrow on the maneuver dial: green = easy, white = average, red = hard) will give the ship a Focus (gaining the advantage), Evade (evasive maneuvers) or Boost (punch it) token as long as the ship has access to those tokens (only Focus is available to the Krayt's Fang) - Pilot tests are affected by the ship's handling stat (bonuses are Boost die and penalties are Setback die)
  • A successful Pilot test is needed to avoid taking damage from a collision (difficulty is set by the arrow on the maneuver dial: green = easy, white = average, red = hard)
  • Any Gunner or Co-Pilot Action

Gunner (x2) - Rolls the weapons dice for a single attack from the ship and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Gunnery test will establish a Target Lock (difficulty is equal to the speed of the targetted ship)

Engineer (x2) - Rolls the agility dice for the ship and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Mechanics (hard) test will restore one of the ship's shields
  • A successful Mechanics (hard) test will turn a critical damage card face down
  • A successful Athletics (hard) test will remove one damage card

Co-Pilot (x1) - Adds their ranks in Pilot to the ship's Pilot Skill (Oskara would raise Pash's pilot skill to 6) and may do one of the following actions:

• A successful Computers (average) test prevents one enemy ship from granting benefits to or gaining benefits from other ships
  • A successful Perception (hard) test reveals the pilot and upgrade cards of one enemy ship
  • A successful Astrogation (average) test will plot a hyperspace course, the ship may leave the battle by exiting the edge of the board in the following turn
  • Switch to another position on the ship

PC controlled ships do not receive upgrade cards unless they have ship related talents which are negated by the X-Wing rules. For example, with Pash, Skilled Jockey operates as normal, but Full Throttle might grant the equivalent of Engine Upgrades (allowing a ship to Boost) and Improved Full Throttle might grant Push the Limit (allowing Pash to do two actions)

Stress would work as normal and enemy ships operate normally too (I figure that the lack of tests is balanced by the limit of a single action) to keep the action as quick as possible and reduce the GM's job. Destruction of a ship doesn't necessarily mean character death, just that the ship is effectively out of the fight (e.g. like Wedge in ANH), which can lead to crash landings, boarding actions and other excitement.

I also used the TIE/LN, Y-Wing and YT-1300 to get a bead on how ships from the RPG should be statted in X-Wing and came up with the following:

Thweek's Dunelizard:

Pilot Skill: 4, Weapons: 2, Agility: 2, Hull: 3, Shields: 2

Actions: Target Lock, Focus, Evade

Upgrades: Missiles, Astromech, Elite Pilot (might be used to make him more of a threat)

The Lucky Guess (Large):

Pilot Skill: 5, Weapons: 2, Agility: 2, Hull: 3, Shields: 2

Actions: Target Lock, Focus

Upgrades: Must take a single Crew upgrade to represent the second Vio sibling

This would be a develop it as you go system, but my first impressions are that it would be more dynamic that the ship combat in the book (which is essentially just dice rolling). I've already thought about how things would change for fighters. Essentially a Y-Wing could have a Pilot/Gunner and an Astromech as a Co-Pilot/Engineer. I'd rule that the ship can't jump to Hyperspace without an Astromech.

Those re my ideas anyway. Hope they're useful.

Amazing post ! You truly make my day ! yeepee !

I would still use the basic rules from EotE.

But I'd use the maneuver templates and miniatures to represent ships. I'd use the firing archs to make space combat more tactical. I'd clasify the different maneuver templates and have pilots make checks based on the maneuver template value compared to the ships handling and current speed.

This is my intent. I believe I will use the Straight 1-4, Bank 1 (maybe 1 & 2?), and Turn 2 as diceless maneuvers; any others require a Pilot skill modified by the maneuverability rating on the ship. Meanwhile, weapons are fired in normal X Wing arcs (or 360 for turrets) using the PCs gunnery skill.

In the specific case of the Beginner adventure, there's also other tasks to tend to during that scene... ;-)

IMHO, there's no reason to completely rewrite rules, stick to the EotE rules and use minor tweeks to keep it interesting and more miniatures friendly.

I don't want to resurrect an old post, but...

@Bertolac: Did you elaborate further apon the rules? I'd be higly interested in what you came up with.

What do you mean by "Pilot tests are affected by the ship's handling stat (bonuses are Boost die and penalties are Setback die)"?

I'd like one or two more options for the Gunner. Also, how exactly would fighters be handled?

Edited by Seam

What about the pilot specs and the talents that go along with it?