Taking damage vs. moving damage

By Carist, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

This came up in a game yesterday.

My opponent used Questionable Contacts to move 1 damage from one of his units to one of mine. Can I use a unit with Protect to redirect the damage?

We decided you could not, because you are not damaging the unit, you are just moving damage from one unit to another.

Questionable Contacts

Reaction: After you refresh, damage this objective to move 1 damage from a target friendly unit to a target enemy unit.

Emperor's Royal Guard

Protect Character . (If a Character card you control would be damaged, you may place the damage on this unit instead.)

Does anybody disagree?

I'm going to disagree, but with the caveat that the rules are silent on this one. There are instructions on how to deal damage, and instructions on how to tell if damage has destroyed something, but nothing to indicate whether placing damage tokens does or does not equal damaging. My gut instinct is that protect will work against the damage from Questionable Contacts, but I'm submitting this to FFG so that it will hopefully be addressed in the FAQ.

Yes, I agree that it is not clear and it can go either way, the only thing we can do is wait for an official ruling.

Personally I would play it that Protect still works as even though you are 'moving' damange the target enemy unti is still being damaged

yes the rules are not 110% clear on this but I think it is obvious that it would still work (pending an FAQ of course)

Carist said:

This came up in a game yesterday.

My opponent used Questionable Contacts to move 1 damage from one of his units to one of mine. Can I use a unit with Protect to redirect the damage?

We decided you could not, because you are not damaging the unit, you are just moving damage from one unit to another.

Questionable Contacts

Reaction: After you refresh, damage this objective to move 1 damage from a target friendly unit to a target enemy unit.

Emperor's Royal Guard

Protect Character . (If a Character card you control would be damaged, you may place the damage on this unit instead.)

Does anybody disagree?

I'm not sure, but for the moment I would disagree for the same reasons mentioned by the other posts in this thread….the rules dont tell us if moving damage and being damaged are the same. But based on my experiences with Warhammer: Invasion, I would expect that the officials will point out that Protect wont work in this case, because these are two different ways of bringing a damage-token to a unit. Here is what i found in the WH:I forums:

shiba_nivengo said:

I sent a question to Nate about moving damage from one unit to another, and if it's treated in the same way as assign or deal damage. The answer is:

Moving damage is not considered dealing or assigning damage (it is considered moving), and damage moved from one unit to another does bypass toughness.