What I want from the game now..

By That Blasted Samophlange, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

First off, having bought the beta and the beginner's box, I'm extremely happy about this system. I have lots of thoughts of how to convert other settings, including my own. But thtis isn't about conversions, this is more a wishlist for what I would like to see from the core book as well as further down the line of this RPG.

Starting with the core book:

The beta gave us a good selection of races. I'd just like more. I know I'm greedy. But we need some Duros, Sulluston, and Arcona love. (yes I know there are fan made race guides - which are quite good)

A few more starting ships - The beta gave us the Ghtroc 720, yt-1300 and a firespray-31. These are good.. but a few more would be nice.

That's about all I really want from the core book, as I know we'll get cleaned up rules, and descriptions, and lots of lore.

So… that leads further down the product line. We've already gotten the glimps of the GM screen, Dice pakcs, and such. But what else could they do?

I had an idea for Planet or even sector boxed sets. Basically a box that has a map of an area/planet/station such as Bespin for example, with new tokens or pawns, a detailed info book (great for collectors if it is mostly fluff) and a rule book that has a few new vehicles, an adventure in the area given and plot hooks to be used. If the books are 'setting and timeperiod' neutral they can be used for any of the core books to come out. This boxed set idea could even be expanded to other things, such as someone mentioned Mandalorian clans, or even Companies such as Corellian Engineering - a boxed set that provides maps of a number of their most popular ships, stats for dozens of the ships, along with tokens/pawns, detailed fluff about the company and ideas for some of the more common modifications. etc.

I think we would all like to see our favourite ships and weapons, and races, so individual guides for each of these, would be great - though I personally would try to make them valid for all the Star Wars RPG core books FFG plans to put out.

That's about it for physical items. I wan't to talk about the non-physical. Not pdf's or web supplements (these have their own issues, and would be nice), but more about how I would like the design team to work on this line.

I don't think I need to say anything about respecting it - so far that has been done. In fact, every Star Wars RPG has had people working on it and treating it with care because they LOVE Star Wars. - this is a non-issue. What I really want is the people working on this game, to not get bogged down by trying to make straight conversions of what has been done before. Examples are if you have stats for a ship in Either d6 or d20, don't feel beholden to beholden to the previous stats. If they don't make sense change them. Stick to your guns, and make it your own. You are the Guardians, Caretakers, and Lore masters of the RPG now.

That's about it for me. How about the rest of you? What do you want from the game now?

That Blasted Samophlange said:

I had an idea for Planet or even sector boxed sets. Basically a box that has a map of an area/planet/station such as Bespin for example, with new tokens or pawns, a detailed info book (great for collectors if it is mostly fluff) and a rule book that has a few new vehicles, an adventure in the area given and plot hooks to be used. If the books are 'setting and timeperiod' neutral they can be used for any of the core books to come out.

This is the main thing I've always wanted, and has been done so well by WEG in the past. I was so surprised that WotC didn't make such boxes, where they could have included 'exclusive' NPC miniatures in the box, which would've forced many of the SWM players to come calling, hunting down that last piece of plasti-crack.

Ideally, FFG should be making products for the line that everyone wants to buy - not just GMs - and I think that these boxes would be the perfect thing. Even if the specific setting doesn't grab you, it's likely that the lore, NPCs, equipment, vehicles, tokens, and a nice, big fold-out poster map probably will.

Just please make the actual box itself better than the Beginners' box. ;)

It depends on what we find in the Core book, but I would like Gear and Vehicle books if Core falls short. Gear would include everything imaginable a PC might need plus weapons, armor, and new attachments for each. Vehicles would include a large list of vehicles from landspeeders to the Death Star II plus new attachments. I would prefer something comprehensive like those in place before FFG tackled specific setting or planet sourcebooks.

Sturn said:

I would prefer something comprehensive like those in place before FFG tackled specific setting or planet sourcebooks.

Oh, I hear you. But I'm (we're?) not talking about sourcebooks - I'm talking about boxed sets with not only a specific setting/planet, but lots of equipment, starships, NPCs, creatures, adventure hooks, and other goodies mixed in. I think it's a good way to make everybody crave the product, instead of just gamemasters…

I. J. Thompson said:

Oh, I hear you. But I'm (we're?) not talking about sourcebooks - I'm talking about boxed sets with not only a specific setting/planet, but lots of equipment, starships, NPCs, creatures, adventure hooks, and other goodies mixed in. I think it's a good way to make everybody crave the product, instead of just gamemasters…

Ok I get ya. Sorry if I missed it skimming through. Come to think of it you may get your wishes. FFG Warhammer did just that with new creature tokens, creature descriptions, location cards, item cards, etc. throughout each set even the adventures. That made me buy each set. There was no problem like other games with rules and descriptions being spread out between game books since everything was on cards. EotE is not on cards, however. So, while I like the concept I don't like having to flip through books to find the description of the ARC170 or grab another for stats on a Greater Mynock. I would prefer Gear, Vehicle, and Advesary supplements with it all in one place.