It's Worse ?

By bhosp, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

Can I use It's Worse to cancel my own Interrupt effect? For example, I play a Vehicle , interrupt that with Kuat Reinforcements, discard 0 cards to reduce the cost of that Vehicle by 0, and play It's Worse to cancel the (null) effect of Kuat Reinforcements to damage a target unit.

I would say you could do it, but not to a TIE. Say it is to another 2 cost fighter/vehicle then yeah it would work. If you don't pay the cost you get no effect.

It's Worse

jss_hobbie said:

I would say you could do it, but not to a TIE.

Um . . . Why not?

If you do not attempt to discard anything then the rest of the effect is not fulfilled. Similar to the Ewok situation. You can not discard a card to not go get an Ewok if there are no Ewoks in the discard pile.

Has that been resolved somewhere else?

It seems to me that since the wording isn't "target ewok" you can discard to get an ewok, and discover there's not one there.

bhosp said:

Can I use It's Worse to cancel my own Interrupt effect? For example, I play a Vehicle , interrupt that with Kuat Reinforcements, discard 0 cards to reduce the cost of that Vehicle by 0, and play It's Worse to cancel the (null) effect of Kuat Reinforcements to damage a target unit.

I believe you can, and there's no restriction on the cost of the unit on which you can use the Kuat Reinforcements effect. The clause, "to a minimum of 1," is a reference to the minimum cost to which you may reduce that vehicle's cost. For example, I could play TIE Fighter and discard 4 cards to Kuat Reinforcements, but that would still only reduce the cost of TIE Fighter to 1.

So, let's just work things out in order:

1) Initiate the sequence of playing TIE Fighter (Resource cost: 1).

When , as defined on page 27, you are in the process of playing TIE Fighter, the timing for playing the interrupt from Kuat Reinforcements is met….

2) Choose to use the Interrupt on Kuat Reinforcements. You decide X = 0.

Pay the cost. In this case, discard 0 cards.

This may seem strange, but again, as defined by the rules for when on page 27, allow the sequence to get to " when you execute" Kuat Reinforcements (without actually executing it). At that point, the condition for when you can play It's Worse is met.

3) Play Its Worse, paying its cost. Its cost is 0 resources.

4) Cancel the Kuat Reinforcements' interrupt effect. TIE Fighter cost is unmodified now.

5) Deal 1 damage to a target enemy unit.

6) Finally, pay the resource cost of TIE Fighter, 1 resource, and put it into play.