Some terrible doubts about game balance, please be sincere

By rodilladehierro, in Tannhauser

I have just bought the basic Tannhauser, and I would like to buy some expansions, but in my game group, they just won't want to play an unbalanced game…

1- I have read that I can play with Union and Reich buying Ramirez, Hoax, Hoss, Yula, Wolf and Sergei, and we will have a very good game with a good balance and so many tactical options, but i have read that Asteros, Edison and Frankenstahl will break my balanced game. So according to this, what do you think, should I forget Edison, Asteros and Frankenstahl and buying the other heroes? (pls, be sincere, i really dont want overpowered characters that we will have to ban later or being-insta picks for having a balanced game, i mean, i dont want to buy Edison and having to play ALWAYS Edison and Frankenstahls for having a nice match)

2- I wanted to buy the Matriarchy, but as I told before, if Union and Reich, with only those characters i have said, they have nearly a 50% of wins, I dont want to have a Matriarchy with a 50% of wins against the Union but a 90% of wins or 75% or 60% of wins over the Reich, because we just won't play the Reich and we will have to play always Union against Matriarchy… Is it Matriarchy so overpowered? Is it zorka so overpowered? And oksana and natalya? Can I play balanced games with Reich VS Matriarchy ?? Even if the Reich is unable to win the Matriarchy more than 30%, can they win the Matriarchy if they use any heroes or troops of the Shogunate?, or is the Shogunate completely useless against the Matriarchy too?

3- The last point is for Shogunate… They can't win any other faction on their own, that seems so clear to me for all those things i have read in the forums…. But have they any heroes or troops that i should buy for playing them with the Reich??? Which ones?? (this third point is similar to the second one, but it's for having on the first point Union and Reich, the second point for Matriarchy and the third one for the Shogunate)

PD: Thank you all and sorry for my English if it's not so good…

As i told before, if the best way for having balanced games is just buying Ramirez, Hoax, Wolf, Sergei and Hoss, please tell me =)

[email protected] said:

As i told before, if the best way for having balanced games is just buying Ramirez, Hoax, Wolf, Sergei and Hoss, please tell me =)

And Yula =)

Let me point out at first that it's sometimes difficult to say that a character or faction is "too powerful" because the actual power depends on team building and the game mode played. The Shogunate for example has difficulties winning against the other factions in Deathmatch mode but has acceptable chances in Objective mode, and your choice of Union and Reich characters to have balanced games can be used to build powerful or weak teams. Just looking at the characters you suggested, you could build a Reich team including Heizinger, Zerman and Harbinger plus two troopers (My favorite Reich team, very powerful) or a team including Eva, Yula and Sergei plus two troopers (I doubt I'd ever play that!). So even considering your "balanced" choice of characters, team building is essential.

That said, I think you can of course build balanced teams using only the characters you suggested. You can also build balanced Union and Reich teams if you include Edison and Frankenstahl as both are powerful but not unbeatable characters. Plus they are cool! You can even add the Matriarchy to add a third faction that is powerful, but not unbeatable as well. It just requires a different strategy to play and also to beat it - no matter if the team used is the one included in Novgorod or a team built around Oksana or Natalya. The one character I'm unsure of is Asteros because he was almost impossible to beat in Deathmatch mode some time ago, but I have to admit I haven't tried Edison or Frankenstahl against him. But almost any other combination of characters can be beaten - by another powerful team, that is. Of course a powerful Matriarchy team will beat a weak Union team and vice versa. So the one important point to consider when getting expansion characters is to improve all factions you use and not only one.

Ok i think i will try almost every expansions, but not asteros, natalya and oksana… Making tests of what can oksana do with her voivodes in the first turn… I haven't found even one strategy for winning against the matriarchy in the 2 maps in the basic game… first round they have one flag and second round they have the other one, and it's impossible to avoid it