Do the designers consider Volley Blast weapons a failed mechanic?

By Kriegschatten, in Dust Tactics

If you look at the various special weapon types (Phaser Blast, Incendiary Blast, AP Incendiary Blast, Laser, etc.), there are multiple units that use them, and all of them are used by a recently released unit.

Volley Blast weapons, though, were only ever used on the Steel Rain and haven't made an appearance since. I find it particularly interesting that the Rocket Pods, 250 kg Bombs, and Napalm on the SSU Ground Attack Helicopters don't use the Volley Blast mechanic when they would seem to be prime candidates for it.

So, do you think that the designers consider Volley Blast to have been a bad idea? Meaning that we will probably not see any more units that use it?

Not really, none of those weapon systems are anything like Steel rains rockets. The rockets are low damage weapons and need to be combined to be effective, the other weapons are powerful firing singly.

Let's wait for the rocket pods from the US planes.

Lska said:

Have we seen anything to suggest that the rocket pods on the US planes won't work just like the rocket pods on the SSU helicopters?

Kriegschatten said:

Lska said:

Have we seen anything to suggest that the rocket pods on the US planes won't work just like the rocket pods on the SSU helicopters?

No, and I would assume that they'll work in a similar manner. In my opinion, the rocket pods should have been a volley weapon similar to Steel Rain's rockets, but for some reason they aren't. I can understand the bombs not being volley, the rocket pods on the other hand should be.

I consider them a failed mechanic, do I count? (I am not a designer)

I like the idea/mechanic. Aside from rocket pods, I don't see anything else that could use it though. So, maybe not failed, just too… something.

Could Steel Rain's rockets have worked with a different mechanic?

The way I initially read the mechanic, I thought I would gain more dice than just a multiple of the number of charges used

so something like 3/1 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 16/1.

OR at the very least, let me reload a rack at a time.

Mattador Actual said:

I like the idea/mechanic. Aside from rocket pods, I don't see anything else that could use it though. So, maybe not failed, just too… something.

Could Steel Rain's rockets have worked with a different mechanic?

Sure, could have given them more punch and fire one per turn with limited (4) ammo, same as bombs or panzrfausts etc.