Thousand Sons Sorcerer and starting gear

By CelestiaIKnight, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is a already asked question but I was wondering if the Thousand sons sorcerer from the tome of fate gets to use his starting infamy on gear. My DM has told me that they dont, but i cant find anything in the book that states otherwise.

If anyone could get/point me to proof, that would be bloody awesome, cheers fellas.

I let my players. I can also see this as something that could be argued either way endlessly until FFG comes out ans says with way it is…. so GMs call.

I go with letting characters use Infamy to get Gear because there is no mention by FFG not to, unlike starting XP which is explicitly noted.

However, you might want to consider how to handle the case of a Psychic Hood. Even though it's Extremely Rare, it's possible to obtain it with the Single (+10) and Poor (+10) modifiers. Even though there are no indications how to mod the Psychic Hood for a Poor rating, whatever you potentially choose to do, the +5 Willpower and the other benefits could make a starting Thousand Sons Sorcerer easily overpowered. For example, say you let your players manually distribute their starting characteristic points. Then, they could put 20 into Willpower to get 30 + 20 = 50. Then Thousand Sons get +5 Willpower as a starting Advance. So that puts you at 55. Then, your players could EASILY take a Psy-Focus for starting Gear, which gives +10 Willpower. So, now you're at 65. Then with Psychic Hood giving an additional +5, you're at 70 and you haven't even done anything yet in the game!!! But it doesn't stop there. Unfettered gives you + 3 x 5 = 15. So what is that? A comfortable 85 Willpower for Focus Power Tests PLUS the added benefits that a Psychic Hood grants.

@Qaia

And would you really want to trust your psychic protection to a Poor piece of gear?

I generally assume that yes, of course these archetypes can customize their gear with their infamy.

It all depends on what the house rules determine to be "Poor" for the Psychic Hood. The following could be used as possible house rules for a Poor rating :

- no Willpower bonus, but nullification mechanism is in tact (or slightly modified);

- only Willpower bonus with no possibility of nullifying psychic power;

- instead of imposing a -10 penalty for each degree of sucess, it only imposes -5;

- limit the number of degrees of success;

- whenver it's ability is attempted to be used to nullify a psychic power, psychic phenomena always manifest (irrelevant of outcome). Maybe two phenomenon manifest?;

- a peril of the warp manifests (on success? failure? always?).

Adverse effects like perils of the warp would really be the only types of things that would make me hesitate to use a Poor Psychic Hood. So, it depends. Just because it's "Poor" doesn't de facto disqualify it.

Thanks for the help guys, but unfortunately without solid proof my DM is probably going to say no to starting with infamy gear, and I already am going to have to pay additional EXP for obtaining rubic marines with the "minion of chaos" trait, infamy rolls to get inferno bolts, and more EXP for turning a screamer into a disc.

On the bright side…. I still get to be a thousand sons sorcerer!

CelestiaIKnight said:

Thanks for the help guys, but unfortunately without solid proof my DM is probably going to say no to starting with infamy gear, and I already am going to have to pay additional EXP for obtaining rubic marines with the "minion of chaos" trait, infamy rolls to get inferno bolts, and more EXP for turning a screamer into a disc.

On the bright side…. I still get to be a thousand sons sorcerer!

My DM is one of the "if is doesn't say so then you can not" instead of "unless it states otherwise, go ahead." Kinda pisses me up the wall sometimes, but hey, whatcha gonna do about it….. right!

I wouldnt even be able to play with a GM like that, depending on how extreme they were. A good GM would use common sense and/or the advice of others to strike a balance. Although I do understand having to play with what is available.

How the hell would Infamy even affect starting gear anyway?

In the core rulebook, you get to start with one peice of gear per point of infamy bonus. The total acquisition modifier for each peice must be iirc -10 or better. I think it is in the section talking about acquisitions and not in the character creation section. That book is soooo poorly oganized.

Cryhavok said:

In the core rulebook, you get to start with one peice of gear per point of infamy bonus. The total acquisition modifier for each peice must be iirc -10 or better. I think it is in the section talking about acquisitions and not in the character creation section. That book is soooo poorly oganized.

Oh, okay, so like normal. I thought you guys were positing that your Infamy was included in the modifier to gain pieces of gear. Nvm.

Yeah, OP's GM needs to rtfb.

The advanced archetypes are just that, archetypes . They get starting items like any other starting character. Your GM is wrong.

BrotharTearer said:

The advanced archetypes are just that, archetypes . They get starting items like any other starting character. Your GM is wrong.

+1

What about these special archetypes overrule the standard rules for obtaining equipment at character creation? Nothing from what I can see. They follow the same process for character creation as ones from the core rulebook, so why would their method of gaining items at creation be any different?

Your GM is mad! Mad I tell you!!! enfadado

BYE

Lets face it... Psykers can put down the hurt, as well they should.

And Tome Archetypes follow the standard way of making characters except where noted, and there really arent any notes on it. And the extra xp at start is also pretty much a suggestion by FFG, not a rule.

If all PCs roll Tome Archetypes there is no reason to disallow the extra xp, or perhaps the GM would grant even more extra xp to Core archetypes to even things out.