Any word on future supplements?

By Hank, in Chaos in the Old World

So I got this game when it first came out and grabbed a copy of The Horned Rat before my flgs had even taken it out of the shipping box. So does anyone know if/when FFG is going to make the next supplement?

Hank said:

So I got this game when it first came out and grabbed a copy of The Horned Rat before my flgs had even taken it out of the shipping box. So does anyone know if/when FFG is going to make the next supplement?

I've just made my account so I could ask this one question u've done. I simpy LOVE this game and another expansion is a MUST HAVE imho. Please, make this happen…

Nothing has been announced but it would be a great addition to an already amazing game

It would be nice yes, but the board can already become blocked up with tokens and daemons. I'd imagine that an expansion should include a board extension, or perhaps just a new exapansion containing one other race with gods…say..the orcs!

or the lizardmen idk i no they have their gods and i think it would be an interesting mechanic

I doubt lizardman - they're on the "good" side of warhammer (if such a thing as "good side" exist). Maybe Chaos Dwarfs? They've got some love by Tamurkhan. Taking into account their destructive nature they may be given powers to clean the board from token floods;).

TooNu said:

It would be nice yes, but the board can already become blocked up with tokens and daemons. I'd imagine that an expansion should include a board extension, or perhaps just a new exapansion containing one other race with gods…say..the orcs!

TooNu said:

In my group we've always think about undeads, but orcs would be a suitable choice too ^^

On the other side, a Sigmar faction that plays against all gods and uses the map in their advantage could be a good idea too.

Undead!!!!!!!!!!

FFS! FANTASY FLIGHT!!!! I NEED AN EXPANSION!

I'd be amazed if this game saw any further support. FFG is pushing out new products fast, and CITOW has moved down in their in-box adverts booklet to a small advert rather than a full page one. Just look at these fora as well - I've been back here every week to check if there's any new posts, and there's no buzz going on at all.

Even though this is FFGs best game, IMHO, I think they're done with it.

If they were going to make another supplement (which I agree is unlikely) I wouldn't want another race. I think that five players is probably as many as this game would comfortably accomodate and aside from (maybe) Chaos Dwarves I can't really see another race that would be particularly appropriate as a faction. And even they are dicey because I can't really see them doing the whole infiltration thing. What you could do - and I'm hoping that someone in development at FFG might read this and think it a good idea ;) - is give every faction the option of bringing out a specific chaos champion. The champion could be brought into play through an upgrade card and moved during the summoning phase. Champions could move a certain distance on the board (varied on champion) for no power, but could only move once a turn and have to travel from one adjacent region to the next (no summoning them across the board). In most ways champions would be considered models, with a power and toughness, but they would also have unique abilities (a Khorne champion might allow battle dice rerolls in a battle he is involved in for example, or a Tzeentch champion might provide extra power points).

If a champion was "killed" he would be wounded instead, and be unable to move in the next summoning phase. Also, champions could receive two or three reward cards through fulfilling certain game criteria (being involved in battles where enemy models are killed or spreading a certain amount of corruptions depending on patron power). Maybe they could have their own area specific quests. Just an idea, but I think it would add some extra depth to the game for those who want it.

Edited by vandimar77

I'd like to see the Old World fighting back a little harder, perhaps with some mechanic other than old world cards feeding into this. Not a player controlled Old World, but rather just some of difficulty-increase expansion, to give the Old World a fighting chance. I'd like to see little figurines representing Old World defenders of various sorts, having different effects on the game, and varying rewards to the Gods that take them out of the game.

Thinking over it, I think over many many games our group has never once seen the Old World win. We came within one turn of it just once, in a game where we got several of the higher difficulty new Old World cards from Horned Rat turning up, as well as the one that just flips a new Old World card immediately, but that was also a 3 player game with Khorne AND the Horned Rat stomping around, and one that was eventually won on dial victory with not a single region ruined.

This game is one of the games that needs an expansion (new content) the least of any game I've played. Even the expansion that already exists (Horned Rat) didn't attempt to truly expand the game that much outside of the new faction, instead creating an "alternate universe" set of cards. That's because the game system itself doesn't really need additions.

A rebalancing of some of the cards from both the base game and the expansion might be cool though

I can't help but agree that this is a complete game experience as it stands. I don't think it needs an expansion either.

On the other hand, I'd still buy any expansion FFG cares to put out!

Edited by Prepare for War

Our gaming group would have liked to see the old world try to put a good defence against the Chaos players. we feel the old world defence in the game is nothing but just slowing the pace of the game down because 95% of the time the old world loses the battle.

If a champion was "killed" he would be wounded instead, and be unable to move in the next summoning phase. Also, champions could receive two or three reward cards through fulfilling certain game criteria (being involved in battles where enemy models are killed or spreading a certain amount of corruptions depending on patron power). Maybe they could have their own area specific quests. Just an idea, but I think it would add some extra depth to the game for those who want it.

I'd like to see the Old World fighting back a little harder, perhaps with some mechanic other than old world cards feeding into this. Not a player controlled Old World, but rather just some of difficulty-increase expansion, to give the Old World a fighting chance. I'd like to see little figurines representing Old World defenders of various sorts, having different effects on the game, and varying rewards to the Gods that take them out of the game.

Thinking over it, I think over many many games our group has never once seen the Old World win. We came within one turn of it just once, in a game where we got several of the higher difficulty new Old World cards from Horned Rat turning up, as well as the one that just flips a new Old World card immediately, but that was also a 3 player game with Khorne AND the Horned Rat stomping around, and one that was eventually won on dial victory with not a single region ruined.

That's it! I think this game doesn't need more content, it DESERVES more content.

This was the second game I bought and after several pickups it still feels like back then.

So please FFG, give it a try!

Edited by fanlages

Aside from LCGs, this is the FFG game our group has played more than any other.

Its also the game that feels the most strategic, the most skill based and exciting. No other game gets us so immersed (on a gamist level) as this one does, and 70+ games in we're still finding new strategies and tricks.

No other asymmetrical game has ever been so well crafted by a modern day company, IMHO.

So if anyone in FFG is reading this, please be aware that you have devoted fans who will buy more for this game.

This game is done. It is perfect. It needs NO expansions. The Horned Rat was arguably a bad idea. When a game is this good,m this balanced and this awesome it doesn't need expansions. Why ruin it.

Instead of an expansion I would l8ike to see a Deluxe Edition. Larger board, bigger figures (decent style quality) and nothing else changed.

Horned Rat expansion a bad idea?

I dispute that, I really do. The four chaos gods had terrible balance with just the original game in: Khorne was badly underpowered (save for those first few games where nobody knows what they're doing) and the Upgrades for each god were generally no-brainer choices.

With the expansion in, the balance is much better (though Nurgle does need that bonus dial advance on first advance house rule to bring him up to scratch), there's no "right" upgrade choice for any god, and every god plays much more in a way that feels thematic and strategic. I honestly have found there's no going back once the expansion in.

As to the Horned Rat himself, he works best in a 5 player game, is still balanced for a 4 player game (though everyone has to adjust their strategies accordingly) and is best left out of a 3 player game.

I would, however, be very keen on the deluxe edition you speak of. I'd love to see the "flayed skin" map abandoned and replaced with one that looks more like the Old World, with lush forest regions, rising mountains, and the like. Also, I'd love to see the ruination cards replaced with tiles that can be placed over the existing regions to show a change in artwork with the region becoming all chaosified!

A change in figures would be very welcome too: FFG's sculpting skills seem to have improved a great deal in the last few years, and it'd be great to see these reapplied. Likewise, it'd be fantastic to see Chaos Cards that are playing card sized, that have art on them, and which are templated better with rules query answers made obvious from the card.

I'd like the rules reviewed too, with a distinction between placing, moving and summoning put into the rules. Have greyseer say "Place up to 2 Skaven Cultists in this region when you play this card" , for example, which'd be a different effect to now. but much clearer.

Also, replace the dials with 4 + 1 parallel tracks which you move your advancement slider up, so it is transparent and obvious what is coming, and how far someone is from victory. Even now I find myself reminding other players that Slaanesh has the shortest dial track, so normally only needs a single double advance to secure a dial victory.

I love the idea of a Deluxe Edition!
However, as I mentioned before, I think this game DESERVES more content... It doens't need to be another exp/race.. maybe a few more chaos cards? Or a different board!? I don't know... What I do know is how awesome this game is...
I won't let this thread die! :P

Cheers!

With the End Times arriving and the lord of the Undead, Nagash returning to the Warhammer universe now would be a perfect time to have a Chaos in the Old World - Nagash expansion.

The lord of the Undead would be his own Greater Daemon, able to summon minions but also raise the ones he kills.

Probably gets a dial tick for every time he kills an enemy and subsequently raises it.

Tricky to balance on a crowded board, perhaps, but I would be ecstatic.

Maybe some new playable factions would be cool if you did NOT increase player count. Like just so you can mix and match different combinations of gods each game.

With the End Times arriving and the lord of the Undead, Nagash returning to the Warhammer universe now would be a perfect time to have a Chaos in the Old World - Nagash expansion.

The lord of the Undead would be his own Greater Daemon, able to summon minions but also raise the ones he kills.

Probably gets a dial tick for every time he kills an enemy and subsequently raises it.

Tricky to balance on a crowded board, perhaps, but I would be ecstatic.

I'm increasingly pessimistic about official expansions now, but the way I'd handle it would be:

6 Power per turn, identical threat dial numbers to Horned Rat, and you can't have Nagash and the Horned Rat in the same game, and a recommendation that either is used only for 4+ player games. Game still remains 3-5 players.

1 x Greater Daemon: Vampire Lord. Attack 3, Defence 2, Cost 3.

Upgrade: Each time an enemy figure is killed in a region where the Vampire Lord is killed, you may summon a Zombie at 0 cost.

2 x Warrior Daemon: Necromancer. Attack 1, Defence 2, Cost 2.

Upgrade: If a Region controls at least one Necromancer and no Zombie, the next Zombie you summon to that Region has its cost reduced by 1.

12 x Cultist: Zombie : Attack 0, Defence 1, Cost 1.

Zombies do not place corruption counters. Each time a peasant token leaves the board you may immediately summon one zombie to that region at cost 0.

Upgrade: During the Battle Phase, you may roll 1 extra battle dice for every zombie you have in a Region.

Other two upgrades:

Will of Nagash: During the End Phase, when Old World cards are resolved, you may choose to remove one Old World token from the board, but only from a region that contains only Undead figures and no opposing figures.

Patience of Undeath: Once during the Summoning Phase you may spend 0 power to score 3 victory points. This counts as your summoning action.

Dial Advance Condition: At the end of the battle phase, gain 1 dial advance counter for every three zombies you have in play.

Dial would have effects that spawn zombies, place peasants, score points, or remove an old world token.

Chaos deck would have effects that include:

Sorcerous Excavation (1): If this region contains a warpstone, gain 2 power. If it does not, draw a card.

Hidden Blood (2): If this region contains a noble, summon your Vampire Lord here. If it does not, draw a card.

We are Legion (1, magic): If this region is populous, summon 3 Zombies here. If it does not, draw a card.

The Ending (1, magic): If you dominate this region, remove all Old World tokens from here.

Loyal Villagers (0): Place a peasant token in this region.

Vanhel's Danse Macabre (1, magic): Move any number of Zombies from adjacent regions to this region.

Hand of Dust (4, magic): Kill any number of cultists in this region. Then summon 1 zombie (at 0 cost) for each cultist killed by this card.

Undead and Immortal (1, magic): Figures you control in this region cannot be killed while this card is in play.

Faction would be weak on card draw, save for the cycling effects as above. It'd most play a game of interference and stalling with the other gods while playing the long dial game or the long domination game. As a mirror to Nurgle, it'd be very hard to play points game, while the dial game would be relatively easier. Undead factions goal would be to promote stasis, with minimal ruinations and progress while he ticks to victory.

Edited by Prepare for War

News?

News?