Why no miniatures?

By Luftwaffe Flak, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

A question of curiosity, any ideas as to why they didnt include miniatures in this game? I personally would have bought this already if it had mini Cthulu's and Investigators etc. Would the cost have been too much?

Thanks Ced! I missed that.

It seems wierd I guess that Descent and all of its expansions have new figures but they arent too expensive for the quality you get. Does Arkham Horror have many more pieces than Descent: Journeys in the Dark?

Investigator Minis would be welcome by most. Monster minis would hamper the game as the monster chit contains too much information to put in a mini - and their introduction is random - which wouldn't work with minis. GOO minis would be OK but add no value to the game itself.

There is enough crap to store in AH, with all the expansions, without adding more 3D type pieces. Personally, i am content with everything they did in Arkham. happy.gif

The monster cup would have to become a monster BAG for one reason, also I think pictures with nice art work make it a lot better and give you a nicer feeling. Plus makes the game cheeper, they would have moved the game in a Huge Box if we had minis IMO and that would have costed us a lot more.

Luftwaffe Flak said:

It seems wierd I guess that Descent and all of its expansions have new figures but they arent too expensive for the quality you get. Does Arkham Horror have many more pieces than Descent: Journeys in the Dark?

Y'know, it *is* interesting that no one complains about Descent having "too many" miniatures. happy.gif It's comparing apples to oranges, but the base game for Descent is now $90, while the base game for Arkham Horror is $60. So you could sorta say that adding mini's to Arkham Horror could result in a 50% markup! Maybe a fairer comparison is Arkham Horror vs. Runebound, since Runebound has hero mini's, which would be analogous to investigator mini's. Runebound sells for $50 versus Arkham Horror's $60 which means... hey! I want my miniatures!

No miniatures for Arkham! Do you have any idea how much time you'd have to sink into painting them? it took me five hours to paint three frakking Vipers! Granted, some time was taken for dinner and some was for frantically trying to remove the black stains from the white walls after a paint tube exploded under my fingers.

Mike said:

No miniatures for Arkham! Do you have any idea how much time you'd have to sink into painting them? it took me five hours to paint three frakking Vipers! Granted, some time was taken for dinner and some was for frantically trying to remove the black stains from the white walls after a paint tube exploded under my fingers.

That's funny!

Maybe an optional box of (prepainted) investigator miniatures could be made available for those that wanted them.

Some 3D gates would be nice too like the 3D gate holders someone made pictured on boardgamegeek.

And I'd like a little Dunwich Horror miniature to sit on the hill - but not worried about any other monster miniatures.

A black velvet drawstring monster bag with silver eldrich symbols on would be useful too.

Shub-Niggurath said:

That's funny!

Maybe an optional box of (prepainted) investigator miniatures could be made available for those that wanted them.

Some 3D gates would be nice too like the 3D gate holders someone made pictured on boardgamegeek.

And I'd like a little Dunwich Horror miniature to sit on the hill - but not worried about any other monster miniatures.

A black velvet drawstring monster bag with silver eldrich symbols on would be useful too.

Yes, a Dunwich Horror miniature to sit on the hill. Make the miniature the same size as the Location on the board, but with a big maw, large enough to hold an investigator marker. Then if anyone feels like going up against the Dunwich Horror, they can just step into the maw. partido_risa.gif

That could be a great "add on" pack idea for FFG to cash in on. I'd buy them. But they probably weren't made because they would take up allot more room and there is already a ton of crap to store with this game.

Y'know, at least having a DH miniature would be keen. For Drakon 2e, I have this real old Grenadier dragon miniature.

So far, here's all I can find for a DH miniature: catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php

There have been several series of Cthulhu minis released in the past (RAFM, Grenadier, etc), but they're getting hard to find.

I think just about any game benefits from having a nice 3D presentation. Some add on minis for this would be great....could be released in a few basic packs and then add on/adventure packs....

I know I'd buy them.

I'd buy a set of investigators, pre-painted or not! Monster figs just aren't practical for this game, in my opinion. A set of plastic investigators? BRING 'EM!!!

I would like an 'official' monster cup. This is the only part of the game which peeves me...

There are already some nice pre-painted investigator mini boxes out there.

Dunwich Investigators

;-)

i would like to see Great old ones make an appearance in miniature form. a nice big Cthulhu to stomp all over arkham would be fun. personally though, i think that normal monster miniatures would spoil the game, as the artwork would be mostly lost. anyway, miniatures means painting and i HATE painting.

I use the resin Sota Toy Cthulhu for playing Mythos Miniatures . I supposed I could bring him out for Arkham Horror too. happy.gif

Gallagen said:

I would like an 'official' monster cup. This is the only part of the game which peeves me...

Im not sure I follow what a "monster cup" is? like for when my monsters decide to play baseball? and need some protection?

The Monster Cup is the bag you draw the monster from. I got a nice looking tarrot bag thats fits the theme, but with all the expansions it's filled to the brim and makes drawing (let alone searching for a specific Monster) a pain. A nice ffg Monster Cup/bag would come in handy *hint*hint*

One thing many people miss when comparing Descent to Arkham's Horror. The size of the box. In a box about HALF the size as Descent, AH provides MORE figures and stores MUCH cleaner than Descent. Add that to the fact that most of your women figs would look ALOT alike, as would some of your men figs, and the artwork of the cardboard standies seems like a wise decision. Lovecraftian worlds and stories are about imagry and mood. The artwork on the character card, standie, and monster chits add to the feel of the game. Have you ever watched someone play AH that isn't into the feel of Lovecraft? The game becomes mechanical and dull. When you break the game down, it is just about collecting things while avoiding monsters and closing gates... seems kinda boring described that way. The artwork and reading the cards adds to the flavor. I wish MORE games would take the risk of providing cardboard instead of mini's. Maybe then my game storage room would be just a closet, and my paint budget wouldn't rival the budget of General Motors! 8-)

bacta said:

The Monster Cup is the bag you draw the monster from. I got a nice looking tarrot bag thats fits the theme, but with all the expansions it's filled to the brim and makes drawing (let alone searching for a specific Monster) a pain. A nice ffg Monster Cup/bag would come in handy *hint*hint*

I have a gallon barrel that used to hold pretzles (until I devoured them!) It now holds all the monster chites with plenty of room to add more. It also has a lid, so I keep the monsters in it all the time. I just add or remove monsters as required by particular AOs. Masks, etc.

It is a clear barrel, but I printed out the covers of the rule books and taped them around the outside of the barrel so you can't see what you are drawing. Works pretty well,

Auguil said:

i would like to see Great old ones make an appearance in miniature form. a nice big Cthulhu to stomp all over arkham would be fun. personally though, i think that normal monster miniatures would spoil the game, as the artwork would be mostly lost. anyway, miniatures means painting and i HATE painting.

Made this for another game system.

Cthulhu??

Only realised after it was completed that my subconcious had been manipulated by a GOO ;)

Mike said:

I think most people don't have to paint their miniatures lengua.gif

Though, I can understand this being a negative for those who just can't play with unpainted miniatures.

Gallagen said:

I have a crafty friend and a crafty boyfriend. So, they made me cool bags for my game. I really like the bag they made, it's black with a drawstring and has skeletons on the inside. It's very appropriate.