Overtaking question

By Mcmanus, in Moto Grand Prix

Hi just a little question.

If lets say there is a Blue bike in a lvl2 curve in the black lane.Can I overtake it using the external lane(so Im not beside it) without penalty to my movement points.Or even if im not beside it I must pay the extra cost, in this case 2 extra movement points, to overtake it.?

Thank you!!

Anytime one moves a bike into the same position row as another bike and not on the best line, the movement penalty for that particular corner is incurred. Whether or not that is "next to" another bike doesn't matter. At least I think I finally have this right gran_risa.gif At first we were playing that any position other than the best line in a corner caused a movement penalty, but it is only applied when "overtaking" (entering the same position row as another bike).

I believe any space moved in a corner not on the preferred line is at a penalty of one extra move per space if one lane away from the preferred line or at a cost of two extra movement spaces per space if two lanes away from the preferred line. That's the way the game was taught at GenCon.

Rick T.

I knew I picked that up somewhere! I learned the game at GenCon last year as well, and we had been playing that any movement off the best line in the corners had the movement penatly applied to it. I've posted such a few times, and lately have been corrected that the movement penalty only occurs when overtaking another bike. The rulebook is fairly clear that the penalty is only applied if overtaking another bike and that the penalty is equal to the degree of the corner, regardless of whether ones bike is one or two positions away from the best line.

Strictly from a realism perspective this makes no sense. It always is the longer way around to go in the middle or outside on a corner, whether overtaking or not. But if realism isn't a goal, then I guess everyone can be fine with this rule.

You have to pay the penalty for overtaking for each bikes you overtake in a corner, no matter where youplace you bike in the corner.

I'm with Rickert, I like to add a little "realism" to MGP :0

If you're not on the "racing" line in a corner it's +1 for middle and +2 outside lane.

We play an exception on that on a switchback corner from left to right (or right to left) where the middle lane before and after the switch are the racing lines with a +1 for either side of it.

You will incur the +1 penalty in addition if you overtake a bike ...