Enigma

By Rhydderch, in Tannhauser

FFG has announced a new novel for Tannhauser:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3858

It's a pleasant surprise to discover that the Tannhauser story will continue for at least one more novel. The story takes place in 1954, so the timeline has been advanced two years since Rising Sun, Falling Shadows. It looks like the novel will feature Hoss (who appears on the cover) and introduce the RAF into the Tannhauser world =)

In the short teasers, the Reich sets several prisoners against a smaller number of undisciplined Reich troopers. It seems to be an experiment as the undisciplined Reich troopers, initially routed, suddenly turn around with blank expressions on their faces… Based on the other descriptions, it appears that the Reich has discovered a way to use the Enigma code machine to alter its soldiers.

The description also mentions that Hoax and Nick Cross (of the RAF) must join forces with unlikely allies. It might be interesting if that means they have to work with other prisoners from the other factions…

That's great news and a great picture of Hoss by the way, but I don't quite get it. Why does FFG release TH novels but stops releasing game expansions? I would have thought that these two would complement each other well as customers who like the novels would get interested in the game while fans of the game would buy the novels. Cool characters introduced in the novels could be released as miniatures for the game as well and many people would buy them because of the novel. A fictional world fleshed out in both novels and game components is always a good idea, but here the timing just doesn't fit.

Think about the average lead time it takes to produce a novel, most likely these novels were commisioned at least 2 years ago, way before they decided to kill the product due to lack of sales.

You are right of course, I didn't think about that.

Thanks for your interest in Enigma ! I had a lot of fun writing the novel and I hope you guys are going to enjoy it.

I'll be around over at the official thread for the book here ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_temas.asp?efid=342&efcid=29 ) to answer any questions you may have, time and spoilers permitting…