Wow, another new type of unit? (SSU Self-Propelled Weapon Platforms)

By Kriegschatten, in Dust Tactics

So, among the new stuff announced today are two SSU self-propelled weapon platforms.

They seem to combine the three-figure-on-one-base configuration of the Axis Jagdgrenadiere with a vehicle platform.

The description talks about them being "inexpensive and potent"--I'm curious to see exactly how that translates to their game stats.

For example, perhaps the soldier minis are purely ornamental, and these will be treated as vehicles (perhaps our first Type 2 vehicles?!).

Or maybe they will be treated like the Jagdrenadiere and the vehicle that they're on is essentially just a fancy base? (It seems like the vehicle may be too big to fit in a single square, though).

I'm anxious to see what the story behind these dudes are. Of course, since we haven't heard anything further on the SSU heavy weapons teams that were announced two months ago, I don't expect we'll know more any time soon… avergonzado_triste

My guess is that they are the first armor 2 vehicle in the dust line (or maybe that's just what I'm hoping for). I think the concept is great and I love this direction, less walker/hi-tech and more WWII military style. Don't get me wrong, I love the weird war 2 flavor and the super humans, but I'd love to get some more traditional vehicles in there as well. At any rate, these models look great.

I'm betting the guys are ornamental, like the new Allied Skysweeper/MobileHQ/LongTomII. Hopefully A2, cause I wanna see all the armor classes rounded out (they are on there, they need to get used).

I find the SSU release much better than the oens for the other side, **** that is such a cute vehicle and i hope we get to see similair vehicles like this for the other side though for the axis is should be mounted on the sdkfz 251 series.

Makes me hope for an Allied Jeep with a Recoilless or maybe a dual .50, and the first Armor 1 vehicle to go with the USMC armor 1 Infantry.

Miah999 said:

Makes me hope for an Allied Jeep with a Recoilless or maybe a dual .50, and the first Armor 1 vehicle to go with the USMC armor 1 Infantry.

That's what I was thinking too, ssu truck as Armor 2 leaves jeeps as the perfect choice for the armor 1 vehicle, and from there they can work around that precedent for future releases. I'm still hoping for some Armor 1/2 walkers in the future as well.

As much as I love the new models announced, keep in mind that this only my opinion, I would love to see more "uchronic" and "weird/futuristic look WWII" units like the robots we already have. Those self-propelled vehicules certainly look great and are unique but they are too much "realistic" for my taste, just like the mortar teams announced a couple months ago. But I agree that Armor 2 vehicules would be really cool and would fit perfectly.

But that's just me sonreir . I love the look of Winter Child and the overall direction the SSU is taking. I love the Zombies for the Axis even though it's a bit cliche, it fits in the Dust world and look amazing on the battlefield. Love the Armor 3 squads and the power armor look of both Axis and Allies, feels a bit more alternative reality and futuristic. Even the Armor 2 squads with their body armors is a cool touch.

I'd like that they keep this direction, but again, that's just my opinion.

I cant wait for that model to be released !!!!!!!!! Its their best one yet !!!

I'm loving it, could do with an AA option to.

SolennelBern said:

As much as I love the new models announced, keep in mind that this only my opinion, I would love to see more "uchronic" and "weird/futuristic look WWII" units like the robots we already have. Those self-propelled vehicules certainly look great and are unique but they are too much "realistic" for my taste, just like the mortar teams announced a couple months ago. But I agree that Armor 2 vehicules would be really cool and would fit perfectly.

But that's just me sonreir . I love the look of Winter Child and the overall direction the SSU is taking. I love the Zombies for the Axis even though it's a bit cliche, it fits in the Dust world and look amazing on the battlefield. Love the Armor 3 squads and the power armor look of both Axis and Allies, feels a bit more alternative reality and futuristic. Even the Armor 2 squads with their body armors is a cool touch.

There definitely seems to be a split in fandom over this.

Personally, I like the mechs and zombies but the apes, the Allied Type-3 infantry, and, especially, Chef, are pushing things a bit too far.

So, I'm glad to see them dialing the weirdness back a bit with the last few sets of announced units.

can anyone tell if the allied flyers are 2 or 3's I was hoping they would be threes since they take up to squares. I can't make out the thumb nails on the premium pics

SolennelBern said:

Perhaps the games timeline doesnt allow for things to get too crazy? Just a thought.

SolennelBern said:

SolennelBern said:

Perhaps the games timeline doesnt allow for things to get too crazy? Just a thought.

Dont know why my post doubled up. Sorry guys !

Major Mishap said:

Yeah that would be sweet. Once this is released I may work on that. Any ideas let me know.

mgentile7 said:

Major Mishap said:

Yeah that would be sweet. Once this is released I may work on that. Any ideas let me know.

There you go :) http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/48/rest4851reviewlp_1.html

Major Mishap said:

mgentile7 said:

Major Mishap said:

There you go :) http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/48/rest4851reviewlp_1.html

I was going to order the quad mounted in the truck but this is much better. Ill let you know when it arrives.