melee combat question

By SavagePanda, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

ok so the group I have been running is use to using minis for combat. since we noticed a lack of a movement score we have been winging it. I have looked in the copy of the beta and everywhere I can but cannot find anything to reference this question. am I missing something? what has every one else been doing for this kind of situation.

SavagePanda

ok so i forgot about the range bands but does anyone here translate this to a map or grid? If so, what are you using as a base for distances on the grid?

I don't. They are approximations that take into account a number of factors (which is why the bands seem to change size in the various adventures). IIRC it takes 2 manuevers to change your range band, and a combat "round" is anywhere from a few seconds to a minute (yep, even the length of a combat round is ambiguous) which makes sense since one's sense of time isn't that finely tuned when the "fit hits the shan".

So, it really is hard to try and setup a rule as to how many feet is one band or how far a person can move, other than using your judgement. In flat, open terrain, a healthy person, unencumbered, can cover about 60' at a hustle (yes, I've tested this in the real world). But as soon as you get into a more crowded space, like inside most places, good luck moving that fast.

I have 3 ideas for this:

1.) (This kinda can kill 2 birds with 1 stone if your using minis) Use the range measurer from the X-Wing game so like andything that isn't touching but is within Range 1 is Short Range , anything in Range 2 is in Medium Range , anything in Range 3 is Long Range and finally anything NOT in those Ranges is Extreme Range . also you can use these minis for the Space Combat Encounters.

2.) Each square on the grid could represent a 5ft distance with this you could say up to 30ft is Short Range , up to 60ft is Medium Range , up to 90ft is Long Range and anthing beyong 90ft is Extreme Range .

3.) Use a Tape Measure and say up to 4 inches is Short Range , up to 8 inches is Medium Range , up to 12 inches is Long Range and 13 inches or more is Extreme Range .

NOTE:

With the exception of Idea 1 the distances (I.e. 30ft or 4 inches) etc I chose were hyperthetical for the purposes of answering this question.

Edit:

AND Kallabecca has a very valid point the range band for each map is different so you may have to tweak above ideas a bit if used

Staring on pg. 16 of the Rulebook in the Edge of the Empire Beginner Game you can find descriptions of the range bands, and even there it's fairly vague. Engaged is pretty much close enough that you could reach out and touch someone (or hit them). Short is a few meters distant, close enough you can talk with them normally. Medium is a few dozen meters, and the sort of range where you'd have to talk loud to be heard. Long is just described as further than a few dozen meters. Extreme is anything past the point where you could normally interact with another person.

It's also a bit hard to use as a standard on grid measure because it takes 1 maneuver to move between engaged - short/short -medium and 2 maneuvers to move between medium - long/long - extreme. This works fine if you treat an area like a football field, but the moment you start moving people in multiple directions, the distance between various individuals can get a bit more rough.

Demonic Devill said:

I have 3 ideas for this:

1.) (This kinda can kill 2 birds with 1 stone if your using minis) Use the range measurer from the X-Wing game so like andything that isn't touching but is within Range 1 is Short Range , anything in Range 2 is in Medium Range , anything in Range 3 is Long Range and finally anything NOT in those Ranges is Extreme Range . also you can use these minis for the Space Combat Encounters.

2.) Each square on the grid could represent a 5ft distance with this you could say up to 30ft is Short Range , up to 60ft is Medium Range , up to 90ft is Long Range and anthing beyong 90ft is Extreme Range .

3.) Use a Tape Measure and say up to 4 inches is Short Range , up to 8 inches is Medium Range , up to 12 inches is Long Range and 13 inches or more is Extreme Range .

NOTE:

With the exception of Idea 1 the distances (I.e. 30ft or 4 inches) etc I chose were hyperthetical for the purposes of answering this question.

Edit:

AND Kallabecca has a very valid point the range band for each map is different so you may have to tweak above ideas a bit if used

This doesn't work out based on the rules because the change in distances isn't a linear increase, it appears to be exponential. To make it work within the rules, you'd need to make any move from medium to long and long to extreme take the equivalent as twice the distance of a move from engaged to short or short to medium.

I do admit that my ideas have flaws to them

Actually, I've kind of used the ranges to figure out where the ships were in one of the fights. Even if it's not specific, you can make up with it, but you can't really count the squares on a grid, it's approximate.

Too bad the real world doesn't exist in approximates.

Luckily enough for us the game world does. This way you can define as tightly or loosely as you want.

Its pretty easy, as a GM I say for example, the full length of this cantina is medium range, half the cantina is close range, if your in the same booth your engaged. it gives the players an idea of how far they go for 1 manouver. In this example 1 manouver would be crossing half the cantina, or jumping into a booth, and they could assume jumping behind the bar for cover would be 1 manouver etc.