Overlord OP?

By Tromdial, in Rune Age

Just a quick question of other player experiences with the Rune Age's Overlord scenario: is it just me, or is it nearly impossible to win against the Overlord? Has anyone found some winning strategies?

The Overlord is definatly a difficult senario for the team players, but In my opinion its all about the communication between the team makeing sure that the event deck doesn't stack to many negative effects on on the team as well as denying the overlord the shadowrune cards. In the beginning the team never bought any of them and let the overlord get the majority of them at least and got punished accordingly. Only to later think about it and say "you know if we bought those then the overlord can't have them. But that seems to work for us, at least by useing shadow runes we can give the overlord a damage instead of him just damaging us for free

Just got the expansion and played overlord a few times and we realized that if the overlord player has a small enough deck he can win by playing shadow rune repeatedly if he has only shadow rune in his discards. We never got close to eliminating him before he could achieve a 7 card deck with 2 shadow runes, for example :-(

The last 2 times I've played this scenario the OL has lost. It's mostly a matter of teamwork and communication between the other players. This scenario has surprisingly become the favorite of my group. The last time we played it, the game actually took about 3 1/2 hours to finish :rolleyes: