If i buy will i need errata

By The Thing In The Attic, in Mansions of Madness Print on Demand Expansions

Hi

I've recently bought Forbidden Alchemy and now everything in the world of mansions of madness is sane and correct, wirh FA came all the replacement cards for the core set and the reprinted replacement stuff for the Forbbiden Alchemy expansion too. Im a happy Byakee indeed

My question is this, Naturally I'll soon be thinking of expanding into the print on demand sets, but I don't know if any of them are broken with mistakes and errata. there is no FAQ or errata sheet on the website… so does that mean all of these sets are glich free, if not which ones should i steer clear of untill a reprint fixes the mistakes ?

The thing with PoD expansions is that they don't get revised. Mistakes will forever be mistakes. So you can buy them without fear of errata, but also, beware of problems.

Season of the Witch presents a couple no-win scenarios, but this is only a problem if the investigators don't collect every clue. In this PoD expansion, it is actually possible to collect clues out of order. For example, the item you pick up for clue 4 must be used together with the item from clue 3, but it must also be discarded to pick up clue 2, but if you discard it for clue 2 without getting clue 3, then you are boned. Neither you nor the keeper can win. So just make sure you warn the investigators to explore thoroughly and not to discard items to open locks until they're sure they have all the right clues. More info about this can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/686769/problems-with-the-season-of-the-witch-keeper-choic

Then there's the Silver Tablet. The printing on the seed cards section of this PoD expansion is actually incorrect. You can find the corrections here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/835324/solved-problem-with-seeding-cards . I actually took a sharpie and wrote the corrections on my sheet.

This is an unfortunate drawback with PoD expansions and the main reason why people dislike them. They are fun, though, as long as you don't let those giant mistakes get in the way.

Hi

Thanks.

I've ordered Season Of The Witch now; I thought I'd best go through them chronologically.

I must admit I didn't know that there would be no fixes for the P.O.D stuff, I asumed by the very name 'Print On Demand' that these would be printed based on demand and because of that they'd be more readily and easily updated and fixed than a conventional big box expansion.

Speaking from experience of these releases do you think some of the generic 'non scenario-dependant' equipment and weapons could be used in other scenarios from the games back catelogue of products to replace some of the 'Nothing Of Interest' cards.

For example S.O.T.W might contain a cane sword exploration card-

Could that card replace one of the nothing of interest cards that get distributed (after all the Lock cards are in place) as random exploration cards in each of the remaining empty rooms?

I suppose this is a general question that isn't necessarily tied just to P.O.D's but I just thought of it here. I thought of it because in the boxed expansions you get cards to beef-up all your existing decks and are used in all subsequent games- but the P.O.D cards are only useable for that one story and its variant objectives.

Mansions of Madness is a unique game in those regards- it is entirely scenario dependent. So even if you do buy a big box expansion, the cards included will be specific to the scenarios included. Essentially, PoD expansions and big box expansions provide the same thing: additional scenarios to play with. Naturally, they will each provide you with the materials needed to play those scenarios, but PoDs will only give you the cards, while big boxes can include new tiles, monsters, investigators, etc. What I'm getting at here is that each scenario is supposed to have been play-tested and balanced. If you give the investigators too many exploration cards in any given scenario, then you push the game off balance, weighting it towards the investigators. Every card you get in any expansion has an expansion icon on it, telling you which expansion it goes with so you can keep them separated and distinguished from similar/same cards from other expansions. Ultimately, every card you get in an expansion is meant to be played only with the scenario(s) in that expansion.