Rad Cleasner and you! (and where the hell is radiation damage)

By Abhoth, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Ok I was just going over this weapon in the rules and it is positively NASTY, but it refers its Toxic quality not actually meaning toxic but meaning raditaion damage, to qoute the text "massive radioactive comtamination" and should be treated accordingly. I cant find the rules for radiaito poisoning anywhere in any Dark Heresy supplement, radicaiton position isnt as simple as just doing a 1d10 dmg (the general rule for the toxic quality). Does anyone have errata for raditioan dmg?

Well,

You might force the victim of the Cleanser a Hard Toughness test to avoid mutation if the Tox Dice comes up as a 10...

I dont think mutation works, its not a source of "chaotic corrupting influence or even mutatgenic substances" its radition and in my opinion that should mean horrible radiation sickness which can kill you in hours to days (you dont intially feel bad but you DIE very quikcly, for example a japanse nuclear technicain made a mistake with the fuel rod load and put twice as much through then he shuold, there was a flash point of radiation released due to a spike in water pressure and he died in 14 hours). Im wondering how to handle that side of radiation. The fact it isnt really "combat dmg" but more insidious....maybe a toughness test or you contract horrible cancer that needs expert Tech Priest Medicae attention and flushing out your blood free of radioactove contaminats?

Also are there any ruls for anti-rad drrugs I couldnt really find any.

The cancer is also a good idea,

Say it has an onset time of 1 month and will cost the victim 1 wound per month (permanently), treatment should be dangerous and a Toughness should be made to find out if the treatment takes.

Wound might or might not come back once the character recovers.

GrtZ,

Santiago

i would manifest the radiation as toughness damage, giving 1d10 toughness damage and 5 toughness damage after an hour unless a toughness check is made, and so on until a toughness check suceed.

i would say the cancer is negiable for combat use since it takes about 8 times the radiation to manifest a cancer as kill you.

note:
100REM is you feeling bad from radiation
300REM is you dying from radiation
2500REM is the avarage needed for a cancer to manifest
note: you can get 100REM and recover and do so 25 times and on average there would be a cancer.

The Imperium is packed with mutants who have no exposure to the warp. That's where a lot of the moral quandries come from when players participate in the wholesale slaughter of people who've only commited the "crime" of being forced to live too close to Imperial waste dumps. I don't see why you couldn't have rare cases where a radiation weapon causes mutation.

Mark It Zero said:

The Imperium is packed with mutants who have no exposure to the warp. That's where a lot of the moral quandries come from when players participate in the wholesale slaughter of people who've only commited the "crime" of being forced to live too close to Imperial waste dumps. I don't see why you couldn't have rare cases where a radiation weapon causes mutation.

I do agree with rare cases make it zero, but it would be imho the exception not the rule!

Mark It Zero said:

I'm no expert in this, but as far as I heard it's not actually possible for a human to mutate, at least not in the sense of mutants. Local mutations are possible (that's what cancer is), but those couldn't cause any significant change in function without killing you and certainly no third arm.

Though radiation could possibly damage your germlines just enough for your children to mutate, so far that they are considerd mutants and not enough to become infertile, I don't think it's very likely to happen. What caused the not warp corrupted mutants is probably near constant exposure to chemicals or low level radiation over several generations.

Sarius said:

i would manifest the radiation as toughness damage, giving 1d10 toughness damage and 5 toughness damage after an hour unless a toughness check is made, and so on until a toughness check suceed.

i would say the cancer is negiable for combat use since it takes about 8 times the radiation to manifest a cancer as kill you.

note:
note: you can get 100REM and recover and do so 25 times and on average there would be a cancer.

Although this is essentially correct, I would rectify it slightly.

25REM is you feeling bad from radiation (it's sometimes called "rad flu"), 100 REM is you risking death or maiming from radiation, 300 REM is you maimed dying from radiation, 1000 REM is a walking ghost.

Pneumonica said:

Sarius said:

note:

Although this is essentially correct, I would rectify it slightly.

25REM is you feeling bad from radiation (it's sometimes called "rad flu"), 100 REM is you risking death or maiming from radiation, 300 REM is you maimed dying from radiation, 1000 REM is a walking ghost.

well i might have taken the effects a little lightly, i agree with your numbers

Patrick said:

I'm no expert in this, but as far as I heard it's not actually possible for a human to mutate, at least not in the sense of mutants. Local mutations are possible (that's what cancer is), but those couldn't cause any significant change in function without killing you and certainly no third arm.

Though radiation could possibly damage your germlines just enough for your children to mutate, so far that they are considerd mutants and not enough to become infertile, I don't think it's very likely to happen. What caused the not warp corrupted mutants is probably near constant exposure to chemicals or low level radiation over several generations.

Yet, when you read the fluff they do in fact mention that many mutant populations are caused by the non-warp effects of environmental conditions. Whether caused by exposure to intense radiation or toxic chemical waste. This is a science fiction game. We don't have hives in real life nor exposure to planets where the very ocean or jungle is 100% lethal to human life.

Then again a weapon doesn't indicate prolonged exposure. It's either lethal or it's not so mutation might not fit like it does when you're dealing with hive bottom dwellers.

Yup. Make it up. This is a sci-fi game where man has colonized the galaxy, worships a psychic superhuman in a permanent coma, and a place called 'the warp' exists where nightmarish creatures bleed through and wreak havoc and corrupt. The rules of reality are easy to bend.