New Player: CoC CCG & LCG

By TheMetal1, in CoC General Discussion

Background: So over Christmas, I visited the frosty wilds of western New York, where weekly my old friends get together for Game Night. I'm only up there a few times a year and when I show up during the Christmas Holidays we usually call it "Geekfest" and exchange gifts. Much to my suprise, one of my friends this year gave me an unopened booster box - Call of Cthulhu Collectible Card Game: Eldritch Edition. I've not delved much into the CoC stuff, having observed an RPG game, but I did enjoy SJ Games Munchkin Cthulhu and picked up most of that stuff which IIRC brought last year. I've seen the LCG around, but hadn't pulled the trigger on the game yet (So many darn other ones I still have to play from FFG!). Anyway, rather than jumping in and paying $40 for another game, which most likely won't see that much play, I found a Eldritch Edition Starter deck to get the rules, and a feel for how it plays.

Questions:

1. How different is the LCG vs. the CCG?

2. Can I use the CCG cards with the LCG (I hope so as I now have 36 unopened boosters waiting to be used)?

3. Is it worth getting the LCG Box set or just use what I've got right now?

Thanks for your help, ideas, etc.

V/R
Rob

There are plenty of differences between lcg and ccg cards.

First, in official tournament, you can't play with ccg cards : you can only use somme ccg card reprinted in lcg format but many of thoses cards are differents : cost, text (you need to know the lcg card in order to use you ccg cards reprinted)

if you just want to play for fun, there are some post in this forum about differences between ccg and lcg format. I'm not an expert about this, but basically in ccg format there are great combo to win turn 2 or turn 3, but with lcg format it's more a matter of global strategic with ressources/draw gestion

to play lcg, you absolutly need at least coreset x1 :many usefull cards and the cost per card is much better than any other extension (164 cards for 40€)

TheMetal1 said:

Questions:

1. How different is the LCG vs. the CCG?

2. Can I use the CCG cards with the LCG (I hope so as I now have 36 unopened boosters waiting to be used)?

3. Is it worth getting the LCG Box set or just use what I've got right now?

Thanks for your help, ideas, etc.

2. As KrissS666 already mentioned, the CCG cards aren't tournament-legal unless they're aboslutely identical to the respective LCG card regarding the rule-relevant text (icons, skill, subtypes, keywords and card text). You will have to use sleeves since the CCG cards were black-bordered and have a different back than the white-bordered LCG cards.

3. You can definitely mix the cards for casual play, assuming your friends/opponents don't mind or also use a mix of cards. The LCG Core Set is a pretty good deal since it contains quite a few powerful and formerly rare cards.

While the CCG-era cards aren't legal anymore that doesn't stop you from using them to play in a casual setting with your friends, so I'd start there and look at picking up an LCG Core box to get the rules, tokens, etc…

Generally in such a setting with a big card pool you can all share the cards and nobody is being unfairly advantaged by having access to cards that someone else doesn't.

If you end up really getting into it, you may decide to start collecting more of the LCG cards to be able to attend tournaments & such but if you don't that's fine too.