Rules Discussion

By Duck5, in Talisman

So, some buddies and I play Talisman pretty much weekly and it seems that every time we play we spend the majority of the time pouring over the rulebook trying to squash disputes and verify our claims. We're hoping that the new edition will have a more thorough explanation of the rules.. but alas, until then, I bring them to this forum to hash out amongst you folk:

So, to begin, here's my first quesiton:

Objects, there are two kinds, "Magic Objects" and "Objects". The rules don't explicitly detail whether the term objects when used in conjuntion with adventure cards, special abilities, etc which objects are in play. For example, the Thief had the ability to steal an object from any player when landing in the same square on the board. The rules, nor the character card explicitly say whether that's Magical Objects, regular objects, or all objects. We've played where the thief can steal plan ol' objects (ha ha, I take your water bottle!) and we've played where the thief can take any oject, magical included.

Another example is in terms of armor, it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that you can't carry two shields and role for protection on both of them... we've decided to limit each player to a natural array of protection meaning one helmet, one shield, one armor; but that's after much heated debate and name-calling with no help from black-industries rulebook.

I can only hope that FFG has taken the time to revamp the rules... but until then, comments?

Yes, a Thief can steal either and "object" or "magical object".

Now, I have way too many Talisman Rule Amendments going through my head to tell you exactly where the correction came from, but yes you may only roll for one type of armour save. Be it that you have multiple of the same type, or one of each. Only one roll applies, and I assume you'd choose the best...

From the Official FAQ:

4.3 - Armour
Q: If a Character possesses a suit of Armour, a Helmet and a Shield, and they lose a Life in Combat, can they roll the die for each Object or can they only roll the die for one of them?

A: No, a Character can only roll the die for one of these Objects.

Sub,

Thanks... and this official FAQ... where is it? I've only been parousing the forum this afternoon so I probably missed it.

duck said:

Sub,

Thanks... and this official FAQ... where is it? I've only been parousing the forum this afternoon so I probably missed it.

I just posted it in the forums, dude. These are from the old Black Industries website and have nothing to do with FFG, but are a very good suppliment for people trying to play at the moment.

SubElement said:

duck said:

Sub,

I just posted it in the forums, dude. These are from the old Black Industries website and have nothing to do with FFG, but are a very good suppliment for people trying to play at the moment.

GOTCHA. Thanks though... it'll tide us over until the FFG version hits...