Midrange?

By Residualshade, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Hello. i am a long time magic player converting to aGoT. i am a big fan of midrange decks in magic and was wondering if a similar deck type exists in AGoT. if not what are the standard deck types in aGoT? What houses are best suited to each deck type?

Many of us either never played magic or havent played it in years (since 1997 myself) so while we'll be happy to provide info about builds, magic terminology doesnt mean much to us. Whats a "midrange" deck?
You should probably check the articles on CardGameDB for more info about decktypes and House specialties, there are a lot of great articles for new players and veterans alike.

I'd say that the way the game is designed and implemented, "midrange" is not a possible strategy for AGoT (IMHO). Most succesful archetypes are control and aggro-control (which in AGoT community is called aggro) with the least played being aggro (which in AGoT community is called power rush).

The reason for first statement is that game has different tempo idea than MtG (it doesn't have linear/exponential feel due to plots and also doesn't start at zero because of plots and setup) and most of characters die pretty easily and it's more important to have a bunch of average guys rather than 1 20STR army in play. E.g., in AGoT you can play 8STR army and see it die to 1STR Carrion Bird, so people often opt to play 2-3 characters for the same cost of 8STR army.

Second statement comes from the fact that most of early game mechanics involve strong interaction with opponent - you kill their characters to control board and randomly discard cards from their hand to control their hand (in both cases you pretty much control your opponent's options). In that sense Stark has best options for aggro-control (aka aggro) and Targaryen is on the rise as control House (through resets, burn and other shenanigans).

@Skowza: Midrange is something that is slower than aggro, but doesn't imply complete control and wins by playing some serious threats midgame through some ramping. Since in Magic you go for 20 points of your opponent's life, aggro will play 2/2 attacker turn 1, 3/2 turn 2 and so on to add up to 20 points of damage by let's say turn 6. Control will sit there for 7 turns cancelling and tempoing everything while droping something crazy on turn 8-9 (that will end the game in one-two turns). And midrange will drop 5/5 on turn 3 skipping 1 and 2 turn creatures and try to do same 20 points of damage later than aggro, but in smaller number of consecutive turns.