Help picking a Cthulhu expansion set this afternoon

By timetowaste85, in CoC General Discussion

Hey guys, I just picked up the Call of Cthulhu LCG and love it. My buddy and I are leaving in a few hours to go pick up packs, probably an entire expansion set each (6 boosters). I'm a fairly big fan of Hastur (King in Yellow) and The Deep creatures, including Cthulhu himself. My friend loves Yog Sothoth and Hastur's group as well. Are their any suggestions as to which expansion lines would benefit these groups the most? All we have are a core set each, so far, so go nuts with suggestions-they're all appreciated. We haven't looked on the database for cards yet, I thought I'd come here for ideas from people who have played it.

Hey man welcome to CoC LCG. i think the best bet is to go online and find cards you like in carddb, then get those packs. thats what i did. off the top of my head i would grab shifting sands or the silver twilight big box so you have all the factions and newest story cards.

Thanks man. I actually saw Shangfu's sticky thread right after posting this, and I think that based on his breakdown of the sets, I'm gonna jump on the Yuggoth Agenda cycle. Sounds exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

I would also look at the Secrets of Arkham expansion if you don't have it. Merry Christmas!

I actually ended up picking up The Yuggoth Contract, packs 3 and 6 of Summons of the Deep, and Seekers of Knowledge. My friend picked up the Silver Twilight box set, and Rituals of the Order, I believe, so that he could get the 8th family. It was a pretty good haul for us, and I'll be snagging the rest of SotD as soon as I can, as well as the Forgotten Lore series. Both of us want the MiGo characters as they're like Slivers in Magic, and that was our favorite group in that game before we both quit. How is the series that addresses places around the world, such as India, Egypt and the Amazon?

You'll like Seekers of Knowledge then too, the Explorers in there are similar to Mi-Go in that they boost each other.

That's the Ancient Relics cycle you're talking about there. Lots of good stuff in there with an emphasis on different themed locations and Relics (objects that cannot be permanently destroyed). The first pack of this cycle (Shifting Sands) also contains a new set of Story cards which is nice to have. There were a couple of Mi-Go cards in there, and some really nice Syndicate stuff I think.

For any cycle, if you look at one of the online deckbuilders such as the one at cardgamedb.com, you can see all the cards in the pack or cycle before deciding what to buy.

dboeren said:

I would also look at the Secrets of Arkham expansion if you don't have it. Merry Christmas!

If you like Mi-Go, then you should pick up the Secrets of Arkham, since it has 3 decent Mi-Go. The Yuggoth Contract cycle only has a couple iirc.