LCG Packaging

By trekkermj, in Living Card Games

I want to throw out a suggestion for the packaging of the LCG games - particularly the Core products and large expansions. I've purchased AGOT, Warhammer, and will soon buy Star Wars The Card Game. My game mate has purchased Warhammer, Netrunner, CoC, and AGOT. The standard box size is not condusive to the LCG format. It doesn't work and the fact that this is an expanding card base there should be more thought put in to this factor.

I won't suggest custom inserts like Dominion. I don't want to pay the extra cost. However, useable boxes like those found with Star Trek Deckbuilding Game, Thunderstone, or Ascension would all be improvements over what we have to deal with. Most of the times I end up ditching the box and going with some bland cardboard deck box. That just doesn't seem fair for games so rich in theme and art work.

If changing the Core boxes isn't desired, would it be possible to ask for custom 400-800 card boxes for each game? FFG has excelled at custom accessories with the art sleeves, resin house cards, and the cool token/face plate deck box. Why couldn't we make this happen to provide quality game storage for great games?

I'm just looking to give appropriate love to the games I love without having to customize from the instant I buy the game. Is that too much to ask?

The core set boxes are designed large like board game boxes as a marketing ploy to increase their shelf space and presence. Not meant to be used afterwards though I have seen some folks modify them to use them as storage. You can just as easily buy trading card boxes to put your cards in or some other storage idea that works for you. Considering this is standard FFG packaging for all of their games I don't see it changing but you can always email them your idea of custom storage boxes might be a product they have an intersted in making.

Flip the insert for double the storage space.

Keggy said:

Flip the insert for double the storage space.

Pretty good idea although custom card storage boxes would be a nice addition to the accesory list FF produce.

Agreed!!

After the first two or three expansion packs, I throw the original box away. I keep the boxes for Star Trek, Thunderstone, Resident Evil.

I would also LOVE to see them include Dividers!!! Such a simple tool would be a welcome addition to the games. Make them a Print on Demand Item, I would buy them.

I have to say I also would purchase custom card game storage boxes for many of my games as well as dividers. Honestly even descent's cards are storeroom in a cardboard card box with plain white dividers and I would love to spice that up with something from fantasy flight supply.

Sentinels of the Multiverse Enchanced Edition has a great setup. Custom dividers and enough space for all the expansions. Def. need something like this for the LCGs.

jmoslander said:

Sentinels of the Multiverse Enchanced Edition has a great setup. Custom dividers and enough space for all the expansions. Def. need something like this for the LCGs.

Except SotM doesn't hold sleeved cards very well. I sleeved mine with FFG sleeves and had to move the game to a storage box.

The LCG core boxes and expansion packs might be good at taking up shelf space, but they are piss all use as actual card storage (the core box is too big and the expansions and boosters are too small), and I can't even begin to describe the sense of disappointment I got when I actually opened my Android: Netrunner core box and took out the contents. How much empty space?!?

Using stupidly large boxes might make sense when it comes to shelf space product placement, but for a game that basically requires long term 'subscription' purchasing from its players, is it really that necessary?

I've taken to keeping all my Android: Netrunner cards in an Ultra-Pro binder. It's easier to find cards for swapping in and out of decks. Doesn't look quite so bling, but it's practical.

The boxes aren't meant for long term storage. I don't know why anyone would want to. Your cards would just flip all over the place. Use binders and normal white card storage boxes like any other ccg.

I don't know why anyone would want to.

It's nice to be able to keep your cards in an Android: Netrunner graphically themed box?

I guess it's similar to why people like A:NR themed play mats and such like. You could just use a plain green poker felt table cloth, but people like a bit of bling.

Magic: The Gathering does it with the fat packs and those yearly core packs. The box they come in acts as a themed storage box.

It's an admittedly simple thing, but it makes the packaging useful (or aren't we worried about wasteful product packaging any more?) and looks better than a plain white card storage box.

Just an opinion, but judging by the number of M:tG players I see turning up to the weekly games night with those themed storage boxes, I'm guessing it's a popular enough opinion to actually sell stuff.

There is a Netrunner themed box that was released in the Season 1 game night kit with Crypsis artwork. I am sure we will see more in future game night kits.

There are themed boxes for all the game, they've been part of the league sets and stuff.

Anyway, there are people who make their own foamboard inserts and turn their Core boxes into card storage, but obviously there will always be a point where the cards no longer fit someday and you need a new solution.

Yep, I have one of those coming.

I have not yet run into any issues with storage, I remove the inserts, sleeve all the cards and then rubber band each deck together, use a different bag for each type of token, and still have plenty of room (it seems). For Lord of the Rings: I have the Core and 3 Adventure Packs in there, for Netrunner: Core and 5 Data Packs, and for Star Wars: Core and 4 Force Packs.

I agree FFG insert for their box are the worst in the industry. They know that their game are make for expandable why not just make some type of vac-form insert that allow for card expansion and put it in every box. I recently bought several other gamesthat came with inserts that are functioning. (Patfinder, Marvel Legndary and Warmachine games all have nice inserts).

As solution you can get the somewhat pricey wooden box divider from place like Broken Token or make your own from foam core divider. I don't have the time so I just shell out money for the Broken Token box and going to make my own divider for all the expansion.

Again, I think this could be simple solution and shouldn't add much to the cost as all their LCG are in the same size or even sold as add on by FFG if they feel it would add too much to the cost.

As you know, we sell direct to consumers. We do this for a variety of reasons. Primarily, we do this to offer you the lowest possible prices. However, once you factor in international shipping, things can get expensive fast when shipping outside North America. While we all wait for teleport technology to be perfected, the best we can do is offer you alternatives closer to home...
We would like to introduce a great Scandinavian game shop that stocks many of our products - snydepels.dk .
Being located within the EU means avoidance of customs for consumers and lower shipping costs as well. Give them a visit and if they don't have what you need on hand, let Kenneth know what you are interested in. I'm sure he will be happy to ensure he has enough on order to meet your needs.

I've just started getting into the LCG,and the big boxes are nice because I can put the expansions in them. I bought a cool insert that fits perfectly and makes things easy. I just bought the core sets for some new LCGs and they have small boxes where I can't do this. Are there any companies making themed boxes that I can do this with? I know I can get plain white boxes, but they lack a certain aesthetic on the shelf. I know it's petty, but I like things neat and tidy. If I have to do it for them, I'll have to get rid of my nice big boxes so that everything matches.

Any ideas? As far as binders are concerned, doesn't it become a pain to take out individual cards and replace them? especially the large numbers of cards that are available? Doesn't seem practical. That would be a lot of binders.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm loving the LCGs, and I am a collector type, so I want allllll the cards.

Go7Gaming's ASB-00X line of Inserts fit into the Artist Sketch Case by Hobby Lobby. The case is $25.00 and there is a link to a 40% off coupon on its web page. The case and insert are currently holding two cores and all deluxe and cycles of Netrunner for me.

Decoupage a cover from a spare rule book onto the top of the case or paint it up but the wood case looks great on its own.

Edited by Tekwych

I own Netrunner, LOTR and some none FFG card games. The problem with the core box is that it is too small. My Netrunner collection is very small, so I've just flipped the insert, but that won't hold for long.

With LOTR I have the player cards in colour coded binders, with the current deck builds in deck boxes. The encounter cards, quest cards and cardboard pieces are in the core. I use a broken token insert for sleeved cards to keep it neat. With this setup I'll need about 3 core boxes just to fit what is out now.

What I would really like is a delux box format that would hold all the cards from that box, that cycle and the later released nightmare decks. (Sleeved ofcourse).

This is terrible. I've just read that the new LCG box size going forward is now SMALLER. Noooo! It may seem like a small thing, but I'm actually hesitating on getting into AGOT:2E because of the stupid BOX. The new "compact" Broken Token organizer: BS, it doesn't close. I hate the idea of using crappy white cardboard boxes. I like the box to match the game. FFG, please open this up to a vote. Give us back the old box size.