Next Expansion: House Greyjoy, House Targareyan (??)

By SFRR, in Battles of Westeros

House Baratheon is great, and all of the other minor expansions are great too (well, Bw/oB is "so-so"); but,

what do you think the next major, Great House expansion will be?

My guess is for Tyrell, even if I'd love to see the Greyjoy arriving.

I'd vote for Tyrell, but Greyjoy is high on the list too.

However I'd like to see an "expansions' expansion", sort of like Miskatonic Horror for Arkham Horror, fleshing out the minor factions inside the Great Houses already published (Mormont, Umber, Clegane, etc.) to put them on par with the more complete ones like the Tully/Vale barbarians. Thusly we could field some serious subfactions with the multiplayer rules seen in the Baratheon big box.

Well ithink targaryen makes the easiest case for another big box expansion

Seven commanders are easy, Daernarys Targaryen, Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Jorah Mormont, Khal Drogo, Aegon Targareyn, Rheagar Targaryen, Jon Connington

Units are easy, Sellsword calvary, Unsullied Infantry, Dothraki Calvary, Dothraki Calvary Archers, Newly Made Knights, Freedman, and Brazen Beasts

But the actual scenerios would be rough i think greyjoy would be the easiest but i think its more likely to have a Tyrell Ally expansion like Tully, Knight of Flowers, Mace Tyrell and Garlan Tyrell, another easy one would be a Frey ally expansion, with Black Walder, Hostern and Rheagar

continued.

I think Targaryen, Greyjoy and Wildling would be the easiest for an army expansion

While Warrios Sons/ Poor Fellows, Tyrell, Arryn, Frey, and Martell are the easiest tio imagine as ally expansions

golem101 said:

However I'd like to see an "expansions' expansion", sort of like Miskatonic Horror for Arkham Horror, fleshing out the minor factions inside the Great Houses already published (Mormont, Umber, Clegane, etc.) to put them on par with the more complete ones like the Tully/Vale barbarians. Thusly we could field some serious subfactions with the multiplayer rules seen in the Baratheon big box.

This is a very cool idea I hadn't thought of. Yes, there is certainly room for other creative and clever sub faction minor House units.

I would like a better multi-player Skirmish system for 2v2 and 3v3 as well. I have posted my ideas on that subject on BGG.

jack merridew said:

Well ithink targaryen makes the easiest case for another big box expansion

Seven commanders are easy, Daernarys Targaryen, Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Jorah Mormont, Khal Drogo, Aegon Targareyn, Rheagar Targaryen, Jon Connington

Units are easy, Sellsword calvary, Unsullied Infantry, Dothraki Calvary, Dothraki Calvary Archers, Newly Made Knights, Freedman, and Brazen Beasts

But the actual scenerios would be rough i think greyjoy would be the easiest but i think its more likely to have a Tyrell Ally expansion like Tully, Knight of Flowers, Mace Tyrell and Garlan Tyrell, another easy one would be a Frey ally expansion, with Black Walder, Hostern and Rheagar

Nice Ideas on Targaryen. Grey Worm would make a nice commander to pair with Unsullied Infantry, or Dany's Bloodriders would work too (Aggo paired with the Dothraki Archers). What about a Dragon Unit for Targ?

I think I'd prefer a Greyjoy Expansion before Targ - simply because of all the battles they've been in so far, & I'd like to see a new board with more water/sea & some ship type battles against Baratheon (or maybe Tyrell later).

Eventually, I'd hope Tyrell was not just an ally house - as they have a lot of potential commanders (Paxter Redwyne, Randyll Tarly, Mathis Rowan).

Frey & Bolton Ally expansions are the next best easy small expansions (Ramsey with a Kennelmaster unit, Roose Infantry, Steelshanks Cavalry).

I'd probably go with either Stevron or Edwyn Frey instead of Rhaegar, along with Black Walder & Hosteen.

golem101 said:

I really like this idea. I

n that regard, I think they didn't execute their intitial commander choices, or at least the Wardens expansions the best. For instance, in the original 5 Lannister commanders, I would have chosen either Tytol Brax, Gawen Westerling or Forley Prester so that another commander who was actually with Jaime's host was present. Likewise, I might have subsituted Harrion Karstark or Wylis Manderly for Maege, or included Robett Glover intead of Galbert so that there was actually a commander who was present at the Green Fork for that battle plan (and saved that BP for a Bolton ally expansion).

It's a little tougher to flesh out the Lannister sub-house themes - though you could add Raff the Sweetling (or Dunsen, Polliver, or the Tickler) to complete Clegane.

golem101 said:

I like the idea. I'd also like to see House Tully expanded. Three commanders for a supposedly major house seems a bit weak…maybe go with a couple of Freys, Tytos Blackwood, Ronald Vance, and Jason Mallister.

After that, my preference would be House Greyjoy (to include Balon's Rebellion and sea battles), followed by Wildlings and The Night's Watch (with the Others), House Tyrell, and then House Targaryen.

I thik House Targaryen,

in the Song of ice and fire, all the House Targaryen battle in Westerors are past,

maybe we can play take the Thrones like Robert ?

lordtormentorwin said:

I thik House Targaryen,

in the Song of ice and fire, all the House Targaryen battle in Westerors are past,

maybe we can play take the Thrones like Robert ?

That's exactly what I'd like to see when House Targaryen comes out. Save the later stuff for a Dothraki expansion.

What about House Tyrell? Aren't they "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken, Unkneeling"…or something like that?

Hi,

what about The Others and the brave men of the Nightwatch? The Black could take the field against the coldhearted menace from the north.

Stannis ia already here, Mance Rayder and the wildlings could be the 2nd half of a big expansion.

Print the Wall on the backside of a winter landscape (like King's Landing) and the fate of westeros can be decided.

BW, Blue

PS: Give me "Fire and Blood", Daenerys and dragons^^

Hope they release another major House expansion instead of a small ally contingent. This way we can maybe have an even 4-way campaign between multiple players.

SFRR said:

What about House Tyrell? Aren't they "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken, Unkneeling"…or something like that?

thats martell

I think we can expect something from War of the Five Kings. Probably Greyjoys or Tyrells. Tyrells as big expansion pack or just as ally army, Greyjoys must be another big house, but without expanded ships fight it doesn't have any sense. Then we can think about Targaryens but only if The Winds of Winter will be written in that time. Why? Because we don't know how much Aegon and Daenerys will involve in Westeros politic. In Daenerys case we don't know if she will go to Westeros anyway. And will she train her dragons? We don't know too many things to make Targaryens expansion pack, but with new book it can change (or not).

It has sense if we think about Targaryens from Robert's Rebellion but all today's expansions are from War of the Five Kings. I think the better way is make expansions from above and then make set with two allies houses: Arryn and Martell plus new commanders for other houses, for exemple Rhaegar, Aerys II, Hoster Tully and other heroes from that time. We need no more.

I think pack with some new commanders can be a good idea. For example Roose and Ramsay Boltons, Amory Lorch, Salladhor Saan. I wonder why there is no Freys in game, maybe there will be some expansion with them? Maybe Brave Companions?

Night's Watch and wildlings are fighting only with themselves (I don't count Stannis charge in a battle of Black Castle because it's only one case) so I don't know if expansion with them is necessary. Of course we can play our own battles but if someone want to play battles from books he can play only one (mentioned Black Castle). Wildlings can be allies of Baratheons (Stannis incorporated them to his own army) but Night's Watch can fight only with Free Folk.

And sorry for my English ;-)

Sacrilege83 said:

Hope they release another major House expansion instead of a small ally contingent. This way we can maybe have an even 4-way campaign between multiple players.

Oh yeah…THIS is the way I hope it works out…this would be awesome, especially for those of us who play Tournament Skirmish in 2v2.

Let there be DRAGONS!!!!!! Cheers!

C'mon people! How could you not want the nightswatch and the Others? We need a John Snow as a commander throw in Mancye as a wildlings commander give us a few giants and a couple of mammoths. And a castle black battle field. How could you resist that?

SFRR said:

Sacrilege83 said:

Oh yeah…THIS is the way I hope it works out…this would be awesome, especially for those of us who play Tournament Skirmish in 2v2.

I was thinking more along the lines of having a custom world campaign map with the continent of Westeros and all the different territories. A campaign that can be played through several days with multiple players. But I would like at least 4 major houses for this. Could even use AGoT boardgame map for it or just create my own. Though I'm worried that FFG may have stopped supporting this game because it has been like a year since its last expansion and no news yet for the title this year in 2013.

My dream would be a 4-7 or 8 player world campaign where the goal would be to conquer a set number of capitals and Kingslanding. Also I would like there to be Wildlings, Nightswatch, and Wightwalkers small expansion releases. Would have the Wildlings and Others invade the south in waves after a set time period in the campaign map. Seems like time consuming, but it would make great use out of the Battles of Westeros game over a season with some friends. Plus there would be a continuity to the games we play.

For the Crows it should be: Benjen Stark, Jeor Mormont, Qoran Half-hand, and John Snow as commanders.

Wildlings you have: Mance Raydar, Ratlleshirt, and Tormund Giantsbane. And they should have a Giant unit.

A guy on the LCG-boards speculated that FFG could use the House Arryn art from the new "A Feast for Crows" scenario for House Arryn cards for the LCG. But maybe, just maybe, there's a "House Arryn" faction for BoW in the making?

I think a Night's watch ally expansion would be pretty easy to pull off. You could have

Commanders: Jon Snow with Rangers, Dolorous Ed with Stewards, Grenn with Men of the NIght's Watch.

Units: Rangers (mounted), Stewards (Infantry/Maybe archers), Men of the Night's Watch (Infantry)

As we've seen from past expansions, FFG isn't afraid to add non-cannonical battle plans to expansions (Jaime clearly never fought alongside Tyrion against the Starks and the BW/oB) so they could be fielded alongside the Baratheons or alongside the Starks.

Similairly, a wildling expansion could include

Commanders: Ygritte (Wildling Archers), Mance Rayder (Free Folk), and Thormund or Styr (Free Folk or Thenns)

Units: Wildling Archers, Free Folk (Infantry), Thenns or Mammoth riders (Infantry or Cavalry(Unlikely considering size of giants))

These could also be included in one big expansion (a la Baratheons but with opposing forces), Which could have a north map w/scenarios for nights watch versus wildlings, as well as scenarios that include prior expansions

Keep in mind thes are just ideas that would need major expanding before release.

Bump.

Wish some Fantasy Flight big heads would read these forums. Battles of Westeros is long over due for an expansion now. Would like House Greyjoy or Tyrell. Would suck if I would have to custom make my own not to mention time consuming,

They're still selling this board game, years since the last expansion, so why no new updates?

a) the designer of the game is not with FFG any longer

b) they are promoting the BattleLore 2nd edition line, which has an engine similar to BoW, but it's set in a world that is an FFG IP, so, it comes free of charge

c) the game had problems, starting from the huge setup time (take the minis, find the proper flags, assemble, repeat) to a disastrous rulebook (there's a complete reference available on BGG made with the help of Rob Kouba, if interested)

d) probably Baratheon didn't sell that much since most of the scenarios required other expansions to be played with

Just some random thoughts. Beware, I do love the game, and I'd be in first line for a new expansion, but I don't see how this could be happening. As you said, the last expansion was a lot of time ago, the hype for the game's gone, and all the rest.

This said, I do hope to be wrong and to see something announced at GenCon

This is a great game and I'd be happy with another expansion or a 2nd edition.

The scenarios are very closely tied to battles that happened in the books.

Unfortunately that means FFG are unable to release the next expansion until the next book is out, and grrm has already said it won't be this year.