Dice Rules when missing the Damage Deck

By Richard Bliss, in Wings of War (WWI)

Here are some simple dice rules to allow you to simulate the distribution of the damage A deck if you don't have the cards.

Use 2 d6 of different colors.

The first color is the positive number. The second color is the negative number.

When rolling the dice, take the positive number and then subtract the negative number. If the sum is positive it will be a number between 1 and 5. This is the damage. If the number is zero or negative then it is a miss.

For example, the first die is rolled with a 5. The second die is rolled with a 1. 5-1 is 4 damage.

Another example - The first die is a 3, the second die is a 4. The result is 3-4 = -1 which is a miss.

This will distribute the damage roughly to the same weight that the damage cards do, with a lot of misses and then fewer of the higher numbers.

An optional rule - If you roll doubles then your guns are jammed.

Richard Bliss

those look good, got to try 'em out soon.

I'll be interested in your feedback. Rolling a single die and making the 6 a zero, as I've seen some people mention, gives equal chance to a 5 as it does to a zero, which unbalances the game, in my opinion. Of course, with the dice, your opponent always knows what your damage is.

A way of keeping this a semi-secret, is to write on a piece of paper before the game begins, which die is your positive and which is your negative. This way, you are never sure if you are scoring hits or misses. We use a 3x5 card to track all of the information.

The reason I developed this method is that I travel extensively around the world and do public speaking at Technology conferences. I often will bring a couple of planes or simply buy a couple in the local city at a game shop. I then teach several of my staff or attendees at my conference how to play. This way I'm not hauling around a bunch of cards and boards to play, but instead a couple of miniatures in their boxes and two colored dice. Makes for a quick intro to the game.

I have to say: that's an excellent idea for travel.

Well done!

That's a great idea for dicing damage when you don't have the cards. I wish I had thought of that when I tried the game out with out the damage decks handy!

I tried dice as well. Works good. Roll 2 dice of different colours. Main die: 1-4 = hit with that many damage points; 5-6 = miss. Secondary die: special damage scored if roll result is LESS THAN first die (assuming plane was hit in first place). Then roll both dice together for special damage result (Make an easy chart to determine special damage, such as):

2 = pilot wounded

3 or 11 = fire

4 or 10 = eng damage

5 or 9 = smoke

6 or 8 = rudder jammed (left/6, right/8)

7 = guns jammed

12 = explosion