Recommend a Vampire Count deck list?

By Bulwyf, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Hello,

I'm new to the game and am looking for assistance in fielding a Vampire Count deck. My only experience in playing these kind of card games is playing Magic from the mid 90's to the late 90's but I do play the Magic online games on the PS3. I know that from playing the six WHI factions that some of them have specific themes be it defensive, swarm or card control but I have no idea what the "trick" is that the VC have. I know they have necromancy but it seems it only brings cards back from the discard pile for one turn then they go to the bottom of the deck.

I have the March of the Damned expansion to go with the Core Set, March on Ulthuan, Legends and three battle packs (Inevitable City, Accursed Dead and City of Winter which my wife gave me as an early Christmas present. I am a fan of the tabletop game and the Black Library novels so she knows what armies I tend to prefer.

I looked over at deckbox.org and there really wasn't much to pick from in terms of VC decks. I'm hoping you guys could give suggetions and deck build lists if you wouldn't mind. Thanks for any help!

Bulwyf said:

Hello,

I'm new to the game and am looking for assistance in fielding a Vampire Count deck. My only experience in playing these kind of card games is playing Magic from the mid 90's to the late 90's but I do play the Magic online games on the PS3. I know that from playing the six WHI factions that some of them have specific themes be it defensive, swarm or card control but I have no idea what the "trick" is that the VC have. I know they have necromancy but it seems it only brings cards back from the discard pile for one turn then they go to the bottom of the deck.

I have the March of the Damned expansion to go with the Core Set, March on Ulthuan, Legends and three battle packs (Inevitable City, Accursed Dead and City of Winter which my wife gave me as an early Christmas present. I am a fan of the tabletop game and the Black Library novels so she knows what armies I tend to prefer.

I looked over at deckbox.org and there really wasn't much to pick from in terms of VC decks. I'm hoping you guys could give suggetions and deck build lists if you wouldn't mind. Thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome to the game!

First of all, as neutral cards the Undead are not really a faction in the WH:I sense, and are meant to bolster or add variety to the three Destruction races. Building a competetive, pure-Undead deck in the current meta is not the easiest task (although I personally don't play competetively, I do follow the meta and discussions on these boards). on the other hand, Undead are probably the single strongest neutral faction (next to Skaven), an has some deck building potential.

I share my game with two friends and play exclusively Dwarf, Dark Elf and Undead decks. I've found that Undead in particular work well with DE if you're willing to mix things up a bit). Undead share some themes with DE (minus hit points, non-combat damage, unit destruction, power denial, deck/hand manipulation etc.), which can be used to create some good synergies and combos.

Currently I'm not running any pure decks, but here's a link to an old one I did use , quite successfully actually. It had a lot of first turn cards (21/53, ~40%), and both rush (Swarm of Bats, Mannfred) as well as control (Blood Dragon Knight, Wight Lord) elements, making it quite versatile. Anyway, not up to date.

Hope you have fun deckbuilding! :P

/H

herzogar said:

Bulwyf said:

Hello,

Hi and welcome to the game!

First of all, as neutral cards the Undead are not really a faction in the WH:I sense, and are meant to bolster or add variety to the three Destruction races. Building a competetive, pure-Undead deck in the current meta is not the easiest task (although I personally don't play competetively, I do follow the meta and discussions on these boards). on the other hand, Undead are probably the single strongest neutral faction (next to Skaven), an has some deck building potential.

I share my game with two friends and play exclusively Dwarf, Dark Elf and Undead decks. I've found that Undead in particular work well with DE if you're willing to mix things up a bit). Undead share some themes with DE (minus hit points, non-combat damage, unit destruction, power denial, deck/hand manipulation etc.), which can be used to create some good synergies and combos.

Currently I'm not running any pure decks, but here's a link to an old one I did use , quite successfully actually. It had a lot of first turn cards (21/53, ~40%), and both rush (Swarm of Bats, Mannfred) as well as control (Blood Dragon Knight, Wight Lord) elements, making it quite versatile. Anyway, not up to date.

Hope you have fun deckbuilding! :P

/H

Thanks for the help. It looks like VC are a "blue" type of deck to use a Magic refenence as I've seen the Dark Elves are in terms of trying to force discard or card control the opponent.

I would say they are more like 'black'. They have direct unit kill like the wight lord and have many ways to use the discard pile such as raise dead and the necromancy ability.

TL

Your wife has good taste - those are some of the best expansions to have. I think Dark Elves pair well with the Vampire Counts. Here is a list using the cards you have:

3 Walking Sacrifice

3 Thief of Essence

3 Shades

1 Vile Sorceress

3 Seasoned Corsair

3 Slave Pen

2 Har Ganeth

2 Promenade of Malice

3 Lash the Prisoner

3 Swarm of Bats

3 Skeletal Horde

2 Mannfred Von Carstein

3 Blood Dragon Knight

3 Wight Lord

3 Warpstone Excavation

3 Contested Village

2 Numberless Graves

2 Dakmor Castle

3 Warpstone Experiments

Slave Pen works great with Necromancy as you can sacrifice the unit you necromancied after it attacks and it'll be back in your discard pile for next turn (really nice with Wight Lord). Thief of Essence will draw you lots of cards because of Necromancy and it also synergizes with the Har Ganeth/Walking Sacrifice combo. All in all, a fun yet potent deck.