"Dune": Twilight Imperium

By Lizalfos, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

We know their is a game based on Eon's Dune being made in the Twilight Imperium universe, but that's all.

Here's my wish list:

* More factions than players.
--- I wouldn't want as many as Cosmic or it'd become too unbalanced, but it would be nice to have a small pool of choices to add variety.
* Factions that aren't simply renamed Dune factions.
--- While I really hope all the Dune powers show up in some form, they should also be different. And it would be nice to have some completely new.
* A new map.
--- There's nothing wrong with the Dune map, but if this is just the Dune map with renamed territories, it'll be hard to take it seriously.
* Variable set-up.
--- Spice Harvest was a fun expansion in theory, but too drawn out. I would rather the set-up be quick but with options for all players.
* No Duel.
--- Nothing is more fun than calling out "kanly!" but nothing is less fun than slowing down one game to play a practically completely separate game.
* No Co-existence.
--- Or if one faction can co-exist, please please please make the rules much much much clearer.
* No "Advance Rules."
--- By this I mean the advance rules from Dune, which were completely arbitrary and unnecessary.
* No binding bribes.
--- The game gets too complicated when all public agreements must be abided by. Even the best rules authors will end up writing something slightly ambiguous, so it stands to reason that if you allow the players to word their own agreements, there will be mass confusion when it comes to carrying out these "bribes."
* New leader revival rules.
--- The game gets strange if you have one or two leaders left. Technically, you can win this way, but it is super unlikely. Since you can't revive leaders until all of them are dead, this gives other players the logically awkward incentive NOT to kill your leaders. The rule just doesn't make sense in in-universe logic, worse than any of the other rules perhaps.
* A rule prohibiting CHOAM abuse.
--- Giving away 2 spice at the end of a turn to your ally just to get 2 spice from CHOAM and then have the 2 spice returned from your ally is a lame trick. Of course, perhaps it's realistic. partido_risa.gif
* None of this "Player Shield" goofiness.
--- Folding those things is a real pain, and they just fall down anyway. This is a no-brainer though, as FFG's version of Cosmic leaves me with no doubt that they'll get the components perfect.
* More playable with fewer players.
--- Dune is technically playable with 2 players, but most will refuse to play with less than 5 or 6. I hope that this is more like Cosmic in that it is fun with as few as 4 players.
* A limit on alliance sizes.
--- Preferably so that only 2 can ally.
* And most importantly, give me a free advanced copy of the game! gran_risa.gif

Along with Cosmic Encounter, this is one of my two absolute favorite games, and I feel confident FFG will nail it. I have run many games of Dune via forum, played a few over forum and email, and the occasional face to face game as well, so I really could not be looking forward to this more!

Adam said:

* No Co-existence.
--- Or if one faction can co-exist, please please please make the rules much much much clearer.
* No "Advance Rules."
--- By this I mean the advance rules from Dune, which were completely arbitrary and unnecessary.
* More playable with fewer players.
--- Dune is technically playable with 2 players, but most will refuse to play with less than 5 or 6. I hope that this is more like Cosmic in that it is fun with as few as 4 players.
* A limit on alliance sizes.
--- Preferably so that only 2 can ally.

Some good thoughts here; I've highlighted my favorites.

The silly alliance thing just needs to be fixed; it might be the most house-ruled rule in history. Four-player fun would be great, too; not everyone has a gigantic gaming group they can rely on.

And co-existence, as written, is just unspeakable.