Converting WEG D6 material?

By djext1, in General Discussion

So with the stockpile of books and material I have from the WEG D6 stuff, I'm looking forward to attempting to convert and use much of the material to EotE, mainly the campaigns and adventures. Those that have played and tested EotE, is this a reasonable undertaking? Just seems like there would only be some work on major NPCs and some pertinant adventure rules/rolls etc…

I'm excited about getting back to a more "narrative" gameplay system, and think dusting off the old material won't be much of a challenge. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

djext1 said:

So with the stockpile of books and material I have from the WEG D6 stuff, I'm looking forward to attempting to convert and use much of the material to EotE, mainly the campaigns and adventures. Those that have played and tested EotE, is this a reasonable undertaking? Just seems like there would only be some work on major NPCs and some pertinant adventure rules/rolls etc…

I'm excited about getting back to a more "narrative" gameplay system, and think dusting off the old material won't be much of a challenge. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

sounds reasonable. The fluff is already there for you and it's not like D6 had level based encounters, so pretty easy to fluidly readjust them to meet your party with EotE statted out NPCs. Others have already built out a ton of the various Species of the galaxy which might help you out.

I think it pretty reasonable, but just be wary of "overwritten material."

I was thinking about converting characters…

Attributes are gonna be a pain, but for general purposes. it looks like divide in half, round up.
Strength = Brawn
Dexterity = Agility
Per = Cunning
middle of Knowl, Tech, Mech: Int
Willpower and Presence get picked to balance out, but note that Presence should be close to Per, and Willpower close to Strength for mechanical conversion. (That is, a character with high strength should have a high WP in Edge if you want him to soak damage the same way he used to.)

Skills, generally, look like for each full die above attribute take 1 level of skill; I'd actually suggest widening it above the second die over attribute. Say:
0d+1, 0d+2: No skill
1d+0 to 1d+2: skill 1
2d+0 to 2d+2: skill 2
3d+0 to 4d+2: skill 3
5d+0 to 6d+2: skill 4
7d+0 or more above attribute: skill 5

I've done quite a bit of work converting SAGA edition materials into D6, and I've been pretty interested in the idea of doing the same by first establishing what patterns are there with the FFG vehicles, ships, equipment, etc. and what conversions are possible. I don't have the Beta, but I'll be looking forward to the final release. I'd be more than willing to collaborate with those who are trying to move D6 stats to make them compatible with the FFG system. In the past it hasn't been terribly hard for people working on conversions to reverse-engineer each other's work.

aramis said:

Willpower and Presence get picked to balance out, but note that Presence should be close to Per, and Willpower close to Strength for mechanical conversion. (That is, a character with high strength should have a high WP in Edge if you want him to soak damage the same way he used to.)

Don't forget that the Willpower skill in D6 is actually a Knowledge skill. So I'd probably have the middle of Strength and Knowledge be Willpower, or wing it depending on what or who is converted.

General enemy stats wouldn't be much of a problem, though, seeing as most common foes are statted in Edge. Converting major NPC stats is something else, of course.

Equipment is left rather vague in Edge, but prices from D6 should be about the same. And equipment should basically do whatever it says it does. In game terms usually eliminating setback dice or adding a boost die. Most basic equipment is covered.

Vehicles is another story, obviously. But for most basic examples, and a few iconic ones, you're covered unless you want to do the extra work.

Something else that's nifty about converting between D6 and Edge would be the challenge system. If there's a noted difficulty for a test in a D6 adventure, it's easy to convert the D6 difficulty table into Edge. I don't remember how far the D6 one goes, though, but I imagine it's a little longer than Edge's because you could get quite high check results with a seaoned character in D6, so it might need some shortening.

Then of course, the fluff is still there. As an example: Our group has a player who's escaped from Tapani, but we plan on eventually return there. The GM is utilizing his D6 stuff on the sector.